• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Thinking of buying a W211 E Class

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi All,

Unfortunatly I am having to consider selling my BMW 7 Series for something a little more cheaper & economical. :(

I would really like to return to the Merc brand, but i've yet to convince the wife!!

I want an estate and a diesel.

I am thinking about an early W211 E Class. What do you reckon is a realistic price to pay for an early car - i need to spend as little as possible really. I am not sure if a late W210 would be a better option? I'm thinking around the 10k-12k region.

What sort of MPG does one get from a E320 (and also other diesel engines available?)

Basically the idea is for us to have 1 family vehicle which is capable of towing our light caravan/camper and has loads of luggage space, and then in addition to this vehicle (which wife would drive mainly) i would get something small to commute to work and back - i may even try and just get a bike & get the train though - not sure yet.

The car would be a bit of a work horse which, if i get the right one we would keep for around 5 years or so.

Other options seem to be Volvo estates and Mondeo Estate etc etc.

now is the right time to get rid of the BMW, even though i love it so much and will miss it like crazy with the spec it has, it makes financial sense to get rid of it now when it still has some decent value in it. New shape arrives end of next year you see.

Cheers

Derek.

Last edited:
Having owned both the 210 and the 211 then if you can afford a 211, go for it.

All the doom and gloom brigade will talk about early electronic problems but if the vehicle has been properly maintained then that will NOT be an issue. Buying cheap is not something I would recommend but each to their own and if you have any specific questions about these models then please give me a shout.

You have been around for a long while and know that the only real issue can be with the early radiators, forewarned is forearmed.

Regards
John

I went through exactly the same process though with a budget a little higher than the one you suggest: -
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43734
You will struggle to get an 03 E320CDi for that money unless you are talking 100k.
I decided that if it had been a Mercedes it would have had to have been an 04 plate at the earliest. Though even then I would have been worried by the electronics.
I wouldn't have a W210 just because of the rust, I know it is supposed to have been sorted by this age but still. I'd rather save my money and have a W124 Multivalve from Bolide.
In the end I plumped for an 54 plate E60 530d SE as it ticked all the boxes for me.
The W211 is the better estate car, particularly with Easy Pack etc. but...
P.S. John was a great source of advice during the process of choosing.

Last edited:
hmmm, looks like a W211 is out then :(

i've spotted a late-model Rover 75 Estate Diesel (dont laugh) top spec - going to have a look at this thisweekend.

hmmm, looks like a W211 is out then :(

i've spotted a late-model Rover 75 Estate Diesel (dont laugh) top spec - going to have a look at this thisweekend.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I just told this diamond geezer of your decision:

0805_tantrums_mcenroe_500.jpg

He said,

He said, "You cannot be serious!"

Had mine for 5 years E270cdi and am delighted and have no plans on selling. But as has been said, I do think you are too premature in getting an early one for £10-12k without stellar mileage. Shop around though - you never know.

I had a W210 prior to the W211 and they really are WORLDS apart in all respects - but particularly design (more modern) insisde and out.

As John says, earl;y glitches with electrics should not rear thier head as they would have been dealt with at servicing or recalls.

Best of luck

Interesting to see that there are plenty of petrol models in your price range on Autocar - but that of 116 cars for sale, only 1 is diesel :crazy:

Interesting to see that there are plenty of petrol models in your price range on Autocar - but that of 116 cars for sale, only 1 is diesel :crazy:
A thing worth mentioning is also at the time of purchase a 320 petrol with the identical specification was in excess of £1000 more expensive than its diesel counterpart.

If I were selling a 211 E-class, then I would price it to sell, not too dear
and not giving it away. I would also be very wary of a bargain! The Rover 75 might indeed suit your needs and good luck with the viewing.

Regards
John

A Rover 75:eek: -Do you have great grandchildren? are you in your 90's? do you wear your slippers 24hrs a day? If so a 75 IS the car for you!!

A Rover 75
eek.gif
-Do you have great grandchildren? are you in your 90's? do you wear your slippers 24hrs a day? If so a 75 IS the car for you!!

Lots of car for the money but you know reflexboy is right ...:eek:

i know, i know.................................

i must admit i like lots of wood, (even fake stuff) and what can only be describved as the "classic look". The one i've seen has electric heated seats, climate, auto-dim mirror etc.

The 75 would be cheap and cheerful and i find them a bit more attractive than say a mondeo/vectra etc. i can service it myself and not have to worry about residules, service history etc etc.

I'm hoping for 18k-20k for the BMW. I doubt i would let it go for less then 18k. there probably isnt a better specc'd 735 in the country - just need to find a buyer that wants the full-works but without the running cost of a 760 and will pay for the privelige.

I doubt i will ever own such a great car again, but i'm only 28

You'll like me for saying this: "I would keep the BMW".

The biggest cost in car ownership is depreciation, but this is only quantified when you sell. Yes, a Rover 75 or whatever will be cheaper to run, but the savings will be nothing compared to the depreciation you will realise when you sell the 7. You only lose when you sell!

Unless you just fancy a change, which is another issue altogether ...

need to release the value that the BMW is worth, whatever that may be and buy something cheap and then bag the rest of the cash.

need to release the value that the BMW is worth, whatever that may be and buy something cheap and then bag the rest of the cash.
In that case do NOT buy a cheap 211. I dread to think of the costs if something goes wrong and your not covered by some type of warranty. Folks say how these modern cars are not as reliable as the older vehicles, but just think about all the electronic doobries that go into them. Have you watched the video clip explaining how ESP works? This is just one small item, on our vehicles, a modern car needs spoiling and regular servicing by experts. A short cut on maintenance is a short cut to disaster.

Have you considered a Mondeo?

John

SilverSaloon please bear in mind that the 75 diesel is the same as that fitted to the E46 3 Series and suffers from the swirl flap issue. It is in a lower state of tune and the turbo does not spin as furiously but something to bear in mind. That said, for a £3-4k car I guess it is a different issue.
Personally I would want an MG ZT-T+ version as they are likely to hold their value better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom