Thinking of Selling our Merc Estate what to replace it with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
With Mrs A opting to ditch the E240 estate for a Lexus Rx300 I find myself with 3 large cars with large boots and I think that is one too many.

Do I advance into the age of the W211 and be sensible and get a E280 or E320 diesel saloon or buy a more interesting W211? If i'm planning on doing 18k per annum diesel is logical but with fuel prices low and likely to remain so for a while the E500 appeals but will I kick myself for not considering an E55k?

I'm comfy with the pro's and con's of pre and post facelift and associated costs be that maintenance or initial purchase cost but is the air suspension usually on the E500 way better than the diesel options (or am I getting confused here) baring in mind most of my journeys are cross country,a so would an e55k be comfy or bone jarring on longer journeys?

Would appreciate folks thoughts

Thanks

Last edited:
All I would say to that is that the diesels generally are quite interesting in their own right torque-wise.
I have a £20k hypothetical spend thread going and was advised by several posters that if buying an e or s class and doing 12k per annum I should go petrol.
Looked around - there is a dearth of stock (especially in E Class), and what there was seemed at least as expensive as diesel counterpart.

All I would say to that is that the diesels generally are quite interesting in their own right torque-wise.
I have a £20k hypothetical spend thread going and was advised by several posters that if buying an e or s class and doing 12k per annum I should go petrol.
Looked around - there is a dearth of stock (especially in E Class), and what there was seemed at least as expensive as diesel counterpart.

Appreciated, I need to go and try the diesels.

Lack of supply will mean prices are as high as the diesels...but the purchase price was not the reason for going petrol. Rather, the running costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom