Thinking of Selling our Merc Estate what to replace it with

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abecketts, Jan 13, 2016.

1. abecketts

abecketts Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Discovery, Lexus RX300, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
    With Mrs A opting to ditch the E240 estate for a Lexus Rx300 I find myself with 3 large cars with large boots and I think that is one too many.

Do I advance into the age of the W211 and be sensible and get a E280 or E320 diesel saloon or buy a more interesting W211? If i'm planning on doing 18k per annum diesel is logical but with fuel prices low and likely to remain so for a while the E500 appeals but will I kick myself for not considering an E55k?

I'm comfy with the pro's and con's of pre and post facelift and associated costs be that maintenance or initial purchase cost but is the air suspension usually on the E500 way better than the diesel options (or am I getting confused here) baring in mind most of my journeys are cross country,a so would an e55k be comfy or bone jarring on longer journeys?

Would appreciate folks thoughts

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    All I would say to that is that the diesels generally are quite interesting in their own right torque-wise.
    I have a £20k hypothetical spend thread going and was advised by several posters that if buying an e or s class and doing 12k per annum I should go petrol.
    Looked around - there is a dearth of stock (especially in E Class), and what there was seemed at least as expensive as diesel counterpart.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    abecketts

abecketts Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Discovery, Lexus RX300, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
    Appreciated, I need to go and try the diesels.

4. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Lack of supply will mean prices are as high as the diesels...but the purchase price was not the reason for going petrol. Rather, the running costs.