Thinking of Sub & Amp combo's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:confused: Uh, dunno if anyone really wants to switch over to SACD as it only gives a 5% improvement over a CD at the present time.... I don't think I could tell the differences, unless the car was stopped and I was listening really closely for distortions???
DVD-Audio vs. SACD vs. CD - page 2 — Reviews and News from Audioholics
:bannana:

The point is, if you degrade SACD from its six distinctly separate channels back into poor old two channel stereo you will never hear a difference.

"5% better" is very misleading. It is almost certainly a reference to a controlled test in which only 5% of people were able to tell the difference between an SACD source that had been degraded to two channel stereo, and ordinary CD audio.

That's hardly surprising. I doubt I could tell the difference either. Why on earth would anyone buy a six channel SACD system and listen to a degraded two channel stereo version? But degrading it was the basis of this particular "comparative test".

For me, the real difference is what you hear through the front centre speaker. On most rock/pop SACDs that's where the vocals are. SACD (or DVD-Audio) is your only chance to hear the main vocal track separately from the vocal backing and instruments; this just does not happen with CD, where everything is mixed into only two stereo channels, and in 99.9% of mixing, the main vocals are overlaid on top of other things.

I really enjoy listening to SACD audio at home. There's something quite unreal about listening to vocals as they were originally recorded, with no vocal or instrumental backing.

When I first heard SACD and DVD-Audio, I can only describe it as a life-changing experience. I used to sell hi-fi, and when CD Audio came out I was very disappointed with its quite severe limitations. SACD and DVD-Audio have no such limitations, and their ability to reproduce in high fidelity is no longer limited by the low sampling rate of CD Audio.

I intend to install a system in a car before too long, because once you have heard and enjoyed full six channel SACD, two channel stereo just doesn't measure up. I just wondered if anyone else on here had done it.

Thanks for clarifying what is really going on with SACD... I like to hear good clear vocals too... but have not heard anything about the SACA until now.

Tell me, does 7.1 audio like in the Sony STR DG820 have the same clarity as the SACD system? I am upgrading my home threatre system and am looking hard at that receiver since it also has HMDI connections used to connect other video units.

Thanks for clarifying what is really going on with SACD... I like to hear good clear vocals too... but have not heard anything about the SACA until now.

Tell me, does 7.1 audio like in the Sony STR DG820 have the same clarity as the SACD system? I am upgrading my home threatre system and am looking hard at that receiver since it also has HMDI connections used to connect other video units.

SACD is just a source, and the STR DG820 appears to be compatible with it, and almost all other HD audio formats. It seems to get some truly excellent reviews - a fine receiver.

I think the Sony STR DG820 is discontinued so you should be able to get one at a good price, but when they're gone, they're gone, and all that. ;)

Edit: Just spotted this excellent deal at Richer Sounds:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdg820/sony-strdg820-blk

Last edited:
Heres a phone picture of my current set up.

1000watt SONY Explod amp which ive attached to the side of the sub :D

Yes I know its not tidy, but 1000watt bass is all I want!

nw3.jpg

c240ipod2.jpg

c240ipod3.jpg

c240ipod4.jpg

Last edited:
So explain to me why you have an amp on the side of the sub, and an amp in the car? I'm really stupid when it comes to sound so please dont laugh :D

To big to fit in the spare tyre well unlike the previous one, and it seemed like an ideal space saving place :D

Amp in the car? you mean why have an amp?

Is that a 9812RR? I had a 9812RB in my A class, alpine components all round and a Sony sub - it was brilliant. Wanted to go Alpine in the E class but got such a good deal on the Kenwood I couldn't turn it down...

For my last three cars , I have been using KEF B139's , which are widely held to be the finest Hi-Fi low frequency unit ever produced , being widely used by manufacturers such as Linn , Radford , Ferrograph and many others besides KEF themselves and , of course , IMF who are famous for their transmission line loudspeakers , like the TLS 80's I have in my living room .

It just so happens that , with W201 and W126 models , that if you pop out the plastic first aid kit carrier , the aperture left in the metal shelf underneath is a perfect fit for a B139 . In each of my cars I have fabricated an MDF shelf to mount the units in and then placed material over the top to obtain an 'invisible' installation . No damage is done to the car and the installation is completely reversible . In the case of the 190E 2.6 I trimmed the shelf in some black 'contract' carpet which matched the interior of the car and was transparent to the bass notes , the coaxial speakers at each side were fitted with the supplied covers .

With the W126 , an added bonus comes in the shelf accomodating 2x B139's , thanks to the twin apertures in the shelf , coaxial speakers being fitted in the existing 'pods' . On this car , I used a double layer of 2x 18mm MDF sandwiched together for rigidity .

Electronics in each case were mounted on an MDF sheet fitted in front of the petrol tank .

Here are a few pics

Firstly , a B139 lined up over the first aid kit lid in a 190E
B139throscrnsml.jpg

Showing the bare MDF shelf before trim goes back
DSCN0043.jpg

Electronics mounted in the boot of the 190E 2.6
DSCN0037.jpg

Views from below the shelf in the W126
2DSC_5080.jpg

1DSC_5079.jpg

And the rest of the electronics in the boot of the W126
2IMGP8156.jpg

The Sony XRC900RDS head unit installed in the dash of the W126 , I have an identical unit in the W201 , these are both 'flagship' radio cassette units with no onboard amplification and , importantly , the display can be set to completely blank when driving so is not a distraction . I also have the CD version , the CDX910 but it lacks the diversity tuner and telephone mute facilities , so is currently in storage in the attic . These are still widely regarded , 20 years on as amongst the best head units ever made .
DSCN0950.jpg

The sound from the B139's is very natural with extended bass and no hint of 'booming' . The other speakers are JBL units , but I am always looking out for some of the elusive KEF KAR units produced in the 1980's .

Nice Electronics!!

i`ll try and get some pics of my setup when im tuning it before TRAX, ive basically made a false floor where the soundstream amps/alpine nav & multimedia etc are all mounted under, still have the spare accessible, and have 2x 100w 12" rockford subs , fully soundproofed, so no rattles and as much of the sound as poss stays in the car not out.

Yes it is, amazing piece of kit when used with the iPod controller.

Im also selling a hardly used: CDE-9871R with iPod connector :)

9812 was the unit for sound quality - ran hot though. Didn't have iPod but had a 20 gig Iriver MP3 player.

Have iPod and bluetooth in mine now. Considering a DTV tuner.

soundproofed? how? i've got a sub and amp lying around which i'm dying to put into my W202 but need to know where the best place to put the earth is in your opinion? I thought about drilling a hole into my Pug 206 but never got round to doing it :)

Earth? connect it directly to the battery earth is the easist I guess...

Last edited:
:thumb: Thanks for tip on Richer Sound deal... problem is the shipping to this side of the Pond! I've been watching it on FleaBay and see them going for around $200 +shipping... so will keep an eye out, but as you say, when there're gone, they're gone!

Hey Killer Hertz, that some Killer Amp you got there... must sound awesome :)
Wow! you guys are some serious sound dudes!!! Wow them with the car and the sound!

soundproofed? how? i've got a sub and amp lying around which i'm dying to put into my W202 but need to know where the best place to put the earth is in your opinion? I thought about drilling a hole into my Pug 206 but never got round to doing it :)

Most people use seat belt mounts or another earth strap. Running an earth from the boot to the battery would be silly. I'm sure the chassis is earthed to save on wire? could be wrong though

Most people use seat belt mounts or another earth strap. Running an earth from the boot to the battery would be silly. I'm sure the chassis is earthed to save on wire? could be wrong though

thanks for that. i might connect it back up again and have a little play around with it. if i'm still stuck i may take photos and contemplate why i'm stuck.

with the seat belt mounts, how do you connect the earth wire to them? this wire i have has a hole for a screw, but im thinking if the mount unscrews, maybe i can slot it between a screw already there?

have you thought of having the sub enclosure custom made into the side of the boot? this way you can save space and still have access to the spare wheel.

Hi Guys,

I've been contemplating this for a while now, there's alot of makes and sizes and RMS outputs out there, so any suggestions here are most welcome. I'd also like suggestions as to what is more suited to the 202 (Space wise), i'm thinking of putting it in the little well where the spare wheel is.

Hopefully this will improve the sound alot more, and give my poor speakers a rest from the bass, my door cards are starting to get a bit old and sometimes they rattle ! :mad:

some pix of the install in progress:

Running a full Alpine Type R and Multimedia setup.

custom made 12" sub box made on the first side, false floor and amp rack in progress (amp rack is to hold 3 alpine amps)

27062009055.jpg

27062009054.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom