• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

thumping noise from rear nearside

wilverley01329

Car
e320 cdi
I have an E320cdi year 2000, when I take off from a stand still I get a brief thumping noise from the rear passenger side. This has been going on for some time now and is really starting to get to me as I can not find the problem. To eliminate the tyres I have swapped wheels corner to corner. I also had a problem where I was getting a bulb failure warning so I changed the brake switch which got rid of the bulb warning but had no effect on the thumping noise. Last weekend I changed the rear exhaust because the hanger had snapped off, but the noise is still there. there are no noises at all while the car is in motion it only happens when you first pull away, the harder you pull away the worse the noise is. I have the idea in the back of my mind that this may be being caused by the traction control sensor on the rear nearside side wheel but before I go a get another one and fit it does anyone have any other ideas as to what it may be? how easy is it to fit the traction control sensor if indeed there is such a thing, I can not find an exploded view of the read wheel so I can have a look, so it will mean taking everything to pieces just to find out what is in there. Any ideas anyone?

On my "new" W202 C200, I got a thumping noise upon hard acceleration from rest. It was the propshaft centre bearing and mounts. Had my indie change and all was well.

The front mountings on the rear subframe can be a problem on the E Class. At least my Indy told me when he did mine on the 204.

Ernie

It sounds a bit like what is known as "axle tramp" This can cause a juddering effect on the rear wheel/s affected when a large amount of torque is applied to it/them . Usually caused by poor location of some part of the drive train on that side. Could be a broken spring, weak shock absorber, defective bushes on the 5 link rear suspension, saggy differential mounts worn rubber propshaft couplings . Grahamcol's problem is a similar effect but in his case the propshaft was flailing about a bit under load because it wasn't properly located.

juddering has now stopped

Interestingly the juddering has stopped, I am pretty sure it will come back again as soon as the weather warms up. But this does seem to indicate something that is effected by the cold, also this problem only started just after I took the car in and had new tires put on, I am not convinced that the guy jacked it in the right place. Does this help with the diagnosis any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom