Top Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
After spike tellin us he got 135 out of his 230CE, i'm interested to see what you guys have had out your baby's, of course it will be an indicated speed, and not actual speed.

Had 160 out of our CL600. Apparently they do 159, because the 400bhp overpowers the limiter slightly...

Had 125 out of my 1.8 190E, that was tuned slightly and had 18" alloys on...;)

Not a Merc but I had 189mph indicated on my R1 (digital speedo) and I couldn't even see properly because of the windblast!

BTW, what would a CL600 run to without the limiter?

Cheers,

Phil

100 :confused:

I should add that was not "flat out". And I do want this car to last me a long time so I'm not going to thrash it.

Last edited:
160 (shown) chasing a Serria Cosworth on the way to Santa Pod.
I can now get the 'actual' speed on my COMAND system, however watching the speed in the centre console whilst at 100+ is difficult.

Reported top speed with no limiter for the CL is 180mph.

that is for a 215 CL...

My beast (140 CL, 4-speed) is closer to 172, but with the five speed later box (96 upwards) they are reported 176...:bannana:

Err, 5mph short of twice the legal limit.;)

I couldn't believe it when I looked down, surely a C180 isn't supposed to do that.

I was recently having some fun with a friend who has a Golf GT TDi (150bhp), 3am and no traffic at all on a certain section of dual carriageway, we started from a standstill side by side.

He was slightly quicker to 60 although I gained on him every time he changed gear (whats that about manual v auto:p :p ), once we got to 90 I started leaving him behind and at 125+ either he bottled it or that was flat out for him as he was way way back.

Just one mad moment, got my sensible head back on now.:bannana: :bannana:

Thats good going...

We just about got 140mph out of an 2002 E200 Kompressor a few months back, it had about 2,000miles on the clock, and was a courtesy car... :p

:crazy: Admit your sins, will this stand up in court? :crazy:

125 out my Baleno

123 out the C180 - Allthough it felt a bit unstable to take it any further.

I have never had my car above 70 honnest officer.

Im sure it was 130 on der autobahn trying to keep up with an A8 .

what the highest speed anyone has kicked their car down at ?

( manual cars thats changind down a gear to you):p

Kicked down at 130...in the V12...Thats into 3rd gear...;)

An indicated 143mph in my Mercedes, just before last Christmas, with a 7ft tree next to me and my missus sat behind me. It felt wonderfully stable, and the silence was deafening.

The Porsche ? You don't want to know.....oh, you do ? OK, 157mph.

Fastest I've seen on the highway was a Ferrari 360 hooning along the A5, reckon it was doing about 180. Fastest sustained speed I know of is a friend who has a 911 GT2 who set the cruise control on a French autoroute at an indicated 201mph....

145 indicated, Autobahn, photo by Koolvin @ 140:

DSC00491.JPG

I would have gone faster but I had just overtaken MBenzNL and he knew the way!

Had an easy 140 out of my C280 - it felt like it had a fair bit to come, but that roundabout was coming up pretty fast!!!

Indicated 135 in my Golf GTi......

115 in the Merc (slowing down in my old age)

But I would add that 60 feels extremely fast when you're on gravel with trees 3 feet from your bumper!:crazy: (that's in the merc too..... it was 110 in the rally car :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: )

R

I had 189mph indicated on my R1 (digital speedo) and I couldn't even see properly because of the windblast!

LOL Been there done that on a GSXR....the buffeting was so strong and so fast that I could no longer keep my eyes on the same spot on the road and I can assure you all out there that not being able to see for prolonged periods at 170MPH is mighty scary. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom