Touching up stone chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
Anyone got any tips for applying touch-up paint and clear coat to small stone chips? Previously I've used the brush and made a right **** of it :(

Halfords do a repair kit its quite good.... also there was this other thing (Sp!ke?)

Get the paint warm by keeping it in your pocket for a while, use a cocktail stick or sharpened matchstick instead of the brush. Apply in several thin layers rather than a blob. And finish off with the laquer.

That langka stuff was no good on metallic paint.

Originally posted by jimmy
Get the paint warm by keeping it in your pocket for a while, use a cocktail stick or sharpened matchstick instead of the brush. Apply in several thin layers rather than a blob. And finish off with the laquer.

That langka stuff was no good on metallic paint.
I found that doing exactly as above, giving it a few days then trying some t-cut "colourfast" on the area sometimes helps to blend the repair into the rest of the paintwork. Use it with caution though.

hahah your stuffed if you got DB189 paintcode ;)

Langka worked fine on my SL - it tends to favour the lighter colours apparently.

But I've got some more chips to deal with now :(

Mark

Cheers guys!

Will give the toothpick method a try this weekend.

Got my car back from the bodyshop today. I've been without it all week so I'm in 'super-car-care' mode at the moment. After the valeting advise as well I reckon I'll give it the Zymol treatment next.

I've had a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2i all week for a courtesy car. It was called a "comfort". It wasn't. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sp!ke
Have a look here

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=277&highlight=langka
&
http://www.langka.com/

there seems to be a mixed response on this, for some it worked a treat and for others less so. It seems that the colour of your paint makes a difference. the lighter the colour the better it works. If your cars not metallic, I think it will work perfectly.

Eitherway, its relatively cheap and probably worth a try - you never know your luck

Hi Sp!ke,

Yeah, I found the Langka thread. Someone (can't remember who) with the same colour car as me had bad luck with it. Cheers anyway!

Originally posted by simonl
Hi Sp!ke,

Yeah, I found the Langka thread. Someone (can't remember who) with the same colour car as me had bad luck with it. Cheers anyway!

That was me.;)

It worked in that it removed the blob, but it seemed to remove the green pigment and leave the silver metallicy bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom