Travel Agents...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need to book some tickets, and as usual I use skyscanner to search through the options to find the best prices...

This time, I was sent to an online travel agent I've never heard of, "Terminal A". So, cautious, I looked for some reviews... let's just say they are less than flattering!

So I'm going to buy the same tickets from another online travel agent, but they want £80 more (which isn't the end of the world) - but, considering how critical these tickets (they need to bring myself and a fair maiden back to civilisation after spending 3 weeks in the middle of the Sahara) I want to be absolutely sure I get the best cover possible...

What do you guys recomend? Should I go direct with the airline company (air maroc), go to a British registered travel agent (opodo? expedia? thompson?) or maybe even a high street travel agent?

M.

I would always use an ABTA agent for your own peace of mind!

Indeed.

We booked up this week for a wee break to Las Vegas next month and we were going to look at our local agency. As the weather was rather foul we didn't bother going and decided to book online with another company as we just wanted to get it all organised .........

Just as well we did. The local agency went bust the very next day without word of warning.

What online agent did you use? Opodo don't seem to be ABTA approved, and Expedia won't fly from where I want to go!

Why ABTA? That is just a trade group etc...make sure its ATOL...that is full protection.

ABTA V ATOL

What online agent did you use? Opodo don't seem to be ABTA approved, and Expedia won't fly from where I want to go!

We used Dial-A-Flight. They are both ABTA and ATOL approved. Opodo are ATOL approved.

Very impressed with the telephone agent's attentions and polite attitude.

I will, of course, reserve judgement until we return !

Last edited:
crockers;8217 78 said:
Why ABTA? That is just a trade group etc...make sure its ATOL...that is full protection.

ABTA V ATOL

Not quite that simple...

Spoke with Mrs E - most website agents advertise that they operate under someone elses licence. The trick is actually knowing whether the booking has been made through that licence holder.

For example, I can set up a website and have an agreement with my wife's agency to book through them and therefore protect my clients through their ATOL licence. However, I may choose to book the flight directly with either the airline directly or through a consolidator in order to increase the margin on the booking. You won't necessarily know this - and the danger is that even if you ask and you are told that it it booked through a licence holder, if it hasn't been then you risk being up a certain creek with no paddle...

I know it helps being married to a very good and knowledgable agent, but I've never known a decent agent be unable to match or even beat an online price.

I would offer Mrs E's help, but we're on vacation for a week and so she's away from the systems... :dk:

We used Dial-A-Flight. They are both ABTA and ATOL approved. Opodo are ATOL approved.

Very impressed with the telephone agent's attentions and polite attitude.

I will, of course, reserve judgement until we return !

Read very carefully the Ts&Cs for Dial-a-Flight and check your invoice as for details of who they are acting in behalf of. Not all their bookings go through the licence holder Lotus Trave and so, unwittingly, you may find yourself not being covered after all.

As regard to Opodo, they refer to thier ATOL licence, but do have a reminder saying that flight-only is not covered by ATOL (a flight-only is not a tour, it requires accomodation plus some form of transport). An IATA licence allows them to issue air tickets but provide no protection as they act as agents on behalf of the airlines. Again, they don't guarantee that they are not acting as agents on behalf of others.

I know it helps being married to a very good and knowledgable agent, but I've never known a decent agent be unable to match or even beat an online price.

It depends on the carrier you're using and how complex your itinerary requirements are.

For simple return fares on major routes with which you are familiar TAs are usually (IME) a bit more expensive. One advantage of using a TA for trips is that they can usually book and hold reservations for you for a short while before you have to absolutely commit.

Another small independant travel agent near us went bust at the weekend, it will not make the press, but shows it is still happening. They were usually very competative price wise, so cheapest is not always best at the moment.

Russ

Opodo it is then... they seem like the most trustworthy I can find... (other than Mr E, sadly, I need to get visas done as well and am already running late... as usual!) Thanks for the offer though!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom