• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Trolley Jack

killie77

Car
E270cdi
Planning to do some minor work on the car this week.
I'm looking around for a Trolley Jack or Lifting Jack. Was in Costco last sunday and they have a 2 tonne Lifting Jack for about 80 pounds .
I was wondering if this would be strong enough to lift an E class 270 cdi .
Or should I be looking at a 3 Tonne jack
Thanks
ian

Depending where you jack the car, you are not lifting the entire weight of your car so the 2 tonne one will be fine.

2t will be fine, just dont buy the clarke one from machine mart, its rubbish

Some good deals on 2t jacks at machine mart at tge min particularly the low clearance alloy ones. But as above avoid the Clarke ones

I bought a Halfords 2 tonne trolley jack about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. It lifts my w210's without any problems.
They are selling on ebay at the moment for under £30.

particularly the low clearance alloy ones.

Second that.:thumb:

OP, have a look on eBay etc, you'll get an alloy low profile 2-2.5t jack for £100-150. It will have a couple of advantages over the 80 quid all steel jack but worth paying the extra imo.

Can I firstly say please get some axle stands and don't just rely on the jack.
I have the other costco one, the Arcan 3 ton one which is now no longer available.
Build quality is absolutely excellent.

Thanks for the replies.
The one in Costco was I think an Aluminum one. American made think it was Arcan or something similar. Would also like to get some Axle stands maybe 3 Tonne the ratchet type and a couple of wheel chocks might as well be safe.
Ian

Thanks for the replies.
The one in Costco was I think an Aluminum one. American made think it was Arcan or something similar. Would also like to get some Axle stands maybe 3 Tonne the ratchet type and a couple of wheel chocks might as well be safe.
Ian

If it's alu and low profile (low entry) for 80 quid that seems a bargain.

Going up their this week so will double check the price. They used to do Axle stands will have a look for them as well.I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was up at the Indy in Glasgow today,as he was pointing out the things needing doing I realized I could do most of them my self other than draining and refilling the Gearbox oil. So hoping to save a couple of quid going down the DIY route.
Ian

I got this Clarke one recently from Machine Mart at the same time as my engine hoist when doing the engine swap in the 190 . I looked at more expensive and cheaper ones before deciding this one best met my needs : light home use , not professional . I also have both ramps and axle stands to use as appropriate to whatever I might be doing .

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...ick-lift-low-profile?da=1&TC=SRC-trolley jack

I previously had a Sealy trolley jack which I had bought secondhand around 1980 , but it was starting to sink so time to retire it .

Thanks for the replies.
Ian

I have 4 of these Arcan jacks for work, used almost every day for 3+ years. Excellent value for money :thumb:

I bought one from Lidl's when it was on offer at £20, which lasted three years then the seals began to leak after I tried to jack up the rear end of the car, just bought another & it's fine

Compared to the cars wheel changing jack a trolley jack is a time saving blessing. You'll love it.

Plenty of basic 2 tonne jacks around in £20 - £30 range so £80 for occasional use seems expensive. Axle stands are essential for safety and a pair of ramps very useful.

Yup for occasional use a cheap jack is fine IMHO ... that's all I use. Get decent axle stands though - they are safety critical!

I have a few different Jacks.... A large Sealey which I have in the garage for most of my maintenance jobs. I have the halfords 2T which has occasional use or when a second is needed. Quite ample and never had an issue with it in the last 7 or 8 years.

I also bought the cheap ebay jobbie 2T for around £30 (low profile) as on the road the Avantgarde suspension is too low for a normal trolley jack. My other car has lowered suspension and it definitely needs a low jack. It came in a blow moulded case and sits in my boot in place of (well alongside) the factory jack and has performed very well for what it is. Lifesaver on the roadside.

SGS you can buy the jack bare or, for a few quid more, in a blow moulded carry case - which makes storage much neater! I have the cases for both my trolley jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom