• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Trolley jacks

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
I am looking at a new trolley jack. For my cars it would only be for removing one wheel at a time (axle stands mandatory of course !) but my daughters partner likes to come round to tinker with his Civic Type R when he can.
I have been considering a Machine Mart aluminium lightweight low entry and wondered if 1.25 tons is man enough for the Mercs. If its only one corner at a time I cant see why not ?

I am looking at a new trolley jack. For my cars it would only be for removing one wheel at a time (axle stands mandatory of course !) but my daughters partner likes to come round to tinker with his Civic Type R when he can.
I have been considering a Machine Mart aluminium lightweight low entry and wondered if 1.25 tons is man enough for the Mercs. If its only one corner at a time I cant see why not ?

Yes should be fine for one wheel at a time, or even the whole front end of a CivicTR. There is a safety factor built in anyway, so it *COULD* be capable of lifting close to 2 ton.

Thats exactly what I use for quick work at home on my drive or in my garage and it does the job Perfectly well good for each corner but also lifts front or rear on clk. Also used it one corner at a time on the Audi A8 and it was fine, but as you say axle stands a must :thumb:

Also take a look at Halfords. They do occasionally have really good deals on their tools. I bought a 2.5 ton one from them years ago. Still going strong.

Bought one at Lidl last week. 2 tonne and TUV approved for under £20.

I have a £20 jack already which wont go under the Civic and the issue I have with it is that the short handle makes pumping such hard work.
The lightweight jack has low entry and a proper long handle.

I am also in the market right now as my trusty one I bought when I was 18 finally gave up on me last week.
I will also be getting a low profile one I hate having to start my car to raise the suspension so I can get the jack under but we have also had a least one 4X4 on the drive for the last 10 years so also need hi lift.

Take a look at this one, it pretty close in price to the one from Machine Mart

Sealey 2.5 Tonne Yankee Low Entry Trolley Jack : Tooled-Up.com

The Machine Mart jack is VAT free for me currently so is about £90 and there is a branch within reach. Costco is too far away and the Sealey is really too big for my very occasional needs but thanks or all the input.

The Machine Mart jack is VAT free for me currently so is about £90 and there is a branch within reach. Costco is too far away and the Sealey is really too big for my very occasional needs but thanks or all the input.

Costco one is also £120 IIRC !

Costco do a good alloy low entry jack
+1 worth every penny. I got the steel low entry jack from costco which is really solid/stable heavy duty jack. Alloy version must be good as well.

I got mine from machine mart. A Clarkes 2 tonne job.

:thumb:

Do you specifically need an alloy jack? Reason I ask is that Machine Mart do a very similar specced Steel trolley jack (80mm saddle, 10.9kg vs 79mm and 10.3kg for the alloy model), but it's rated at 2 tonnes vs. 1.25 tonnes for the alloy model.

The steel one is a third of the price at around £30 + VAT:

Clarke CTJ2000LP 2 Tonne Low Profile Trolley Jack - Machine Mart

Not sure on stock though - perhaps a phone call/email if you're interested :thumb:

Do you specifically need an alloy jack? Reason I ask is that Machine Mart do a very similar specced Steel trolley jack (80mm saddle, 10.9kg vs 79mm and 10.3kg for the alloy model), but it's rated at 2 tonnes vs. 1.25 tonnes for the alloy model.

The steel one is a third of the price at around £30 + VAT:

Clarke CTJ2000LP 2 Tonne Low Profile Trolley Jack - Machine Mart

Not sure on stock though - perhaps a phone call/email if you're interested :thumb:

I am not 100% but when I looked this weekend, the alloy ones were also quick lift, longer handles and twist lock/unlock.

My old one did not have any of those things and I worked out I used it the equivalent of more than 1000 days of lifting so maybe you don't really need all those features :D

It is all the features NavMan mentions that appeal to me personally. The tiny jack I already have is such hard work in every respect that the extra money makes the ally one so attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom