Tyre Rating and Suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotsman520

Car
E250 Coupe Sport Edition 125 Auto
My E250 Coupe has a slow puncture that may need the tyre replaced.

It has Continental 255/35R/18 tyres on it with a rating of 94Y.

I have had difficulty getting one of these locally and the usual tyre centres are not confident of getting one soon.

I notice online some of the other brands such as Bridgestone had tryes with a rating on 94W. I can get one of these locally today but not sure if it will be ok.

The letter is a speed rating and I was wondering if I could mix that with the 94Y I already have on the car.

Ideally I would prefer to have the same tyre but cannot wait too long, the spare is a space save job.

Has anyone any experience of getting tyres via the main dealers or is that a non-starter. If so, who is the best for Continental tyres in the Central Belt of Scotland?

It's a load rating. Have you tried black circles and tyre traders on the web? You can get the tyre delivered and fitted too.

My apologies - the number is the load rating, the letter is the speed rating. I should read properly and not be in such a rush, but its been a long day.
As long as the speed rating is above that recommended for the car, then personally I see no problem. Check the car's handbook and see what's listed.

I had a set of Vredstein Ultrac Sessenta's fitted a week ago- impressive tyres!

Not sure if they do them in your size?

Mixing speed ratings isn't an issue unless you intend to exceed the lowest permissable speed.

I personally would be more concerned about having a tyre which has a different tread pattern, tread depth, compound, etc. To reduce the impact, you could change both tyres on that axle.

Thanks for the info guys. I agree re the tread patterns etc and will probably go for two of the same type if I cannot get the same as the original one. There is no problem in the tyre centres ordering one Continental for me, it is just the time involved as the tyre has had to be blown up twice today....dreading getting up in the morning if I dont have something sorted this evening.

Has anyone had a look to see whether it is a puncture and whereabouts it is?

Maybe it could be repaired...

Yes Kwikfit said that I had damaged the sidewall by driving it at low pressure (not flat) so they said. They did pin point the screw in the middle of the tread too. The tyre was not removed from the rim as they said they could tell by looking at it.

My E250 Coupe has a slow puncture that may need the tyre replaced.

It has Continental 255/35R/18 tyres on it with a rating of 94Y.

I have had difficulty getting one of these locally and the usual tyre centres are not confident of getting one soon.

I notice online some of the other brands such as Bridgestone had tryes with a rating on 94W. I can get one of these locally today but not sure if it will be ok.

The letter is a speed rating and I was wondering if I could mix that with the 94Y I already have on the car.

Ideally I would prefer to have the same tyre but cannot wait too long, the spare is a space save job.

Has anyone any experience of getting tyres via the main dealers or is that a non-starter. If so, who is the best for Continental tyres in the Central Belt of Scotland?
Call Craig at Skidz in Falkirk. 01324 630060.
He will do his utmost to help you and tell him Harry Butt gave you the number.

Thanks again for all the info guys. I took the car to an independent tyre centre who removed the tyre and repaired the puncture. He said there was slight marks on the inner sidewalls but nothing serious. He is also going to order me a new Continental tyre but said I can drive about no bother in the mean time

While visual inspection and experience will help in assessing tyre damage it really depends on how long you drove it in that partly deflated state [ from the screw presumably ] which may have weakened the internal sidewall plies of the tyre. I would be a bit circumspect driving with the repaired tyre till you get that new one fitted! That E250 Coupe is a powerful car putting a lot of torque through that tyre--- better safe than sorry.

I totally agree with you. I want the new tyre on asap. The chap at the tyre fitter agreed to. Hopefully the new one will be in place early next week. The car was driven partially deflated for about half a mile to the nearest air line.

Thanks again for all the info guys. I took the car to an independent tyre centre who removed the tyre and repaired the puncture. He said there was slight marks on the inner sidewalls but nothing serious. He is also going to order me a new Continental tyre but said I can drive about no bother in the mean time
This is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. Franchise tyre place told me they couldn't repair the tyre and tried to sell me a replacement (which they couldn't, as they don't stock winters). A local independent sorted it out without problem and sold me a set of summer tyres for a total of £10 more than the cheapest online sources. Another win for local independents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom