Use of mobiles whilst driving....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timwood2000

Car
R320 CDI SE LWB '07, BENTLEY CONTINENTAL FLYING SPUR MULLINER '06, FIAT 500 LOUNGE '58 & BMW R1200RT
On my way into work this morning (by motorcycle) noticed a car in slow moving traffic acting oddly. As I pulled up alongside, the woman at the wheel was tapping away on her mobile phone, which explained the big gaps between her and the car in front, drifting out of her lane etc. I beeped at her and told her to get of the phone to which she became fairly agressive saying that she wasn't on the phone as she had a wired earphone attached to it and so she wasn't doing anything wrong.

My understanding is that using/holding a mobile phone whilst driving is an offence regardless of the fact that there is a wired earphone attached to it, if you are actually holding it. I thought it was ok to make/take calls, if it is fixed to the dash etc.

Can anyone confirm if I, or the dear lady multitasking at the wheel is correct?

I think you are correct. The phone needs to be in a cradle to use the buttons. Even then I believe you can be stopped for driving without due care an attention if your driving is hindered by using the phone.

On my way into work this morning (by motorcycle) noticed a car in slow moving traffic acting oddly. As I pulled up alongside, the woman at the wheel was tapping away on her mobile phone, which explained the big gaps between her and the car in front, drifting out of her lane etc. I beeped at her and told her to get of the phone to which she became fairly agressive saying that she wasn't on the phone as she had a wired earphone attached to it and so she wasn't doing anything wrong.

My understanding is that using/holding a mobile phone whilst driving is an offence regardless of the fact that there is a wired earphone attached to it, if you are actually holding it. I thought it was ok to make/take calls, if it is fixed to the dash etc.

Can anyone confirm if I, or the dear lady multitasking at the wheel is correct?

Exactly my understanding, If the vehicle is moving the phone must be in a fixed bracket / holder at all times. If you are holding the phone then you are committing an offence. On my regular commute into work down a busy M62 I regularly see people with one hand on the wheel, phone in the other busy texting away :mad:

Far as i know if it's hands free it's legal to use. If you have to use your hands then it's not (this would also include your fingers).

And, if you really want to go deep...... sitting in a vehicle, with the engine running, even if parked up and using a hand-held mobile phone - YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW!

AFAIC If it's not an emergency, no phone call is ever that important that it can't wait.

Sadly a law that is broken constantly as there are no police officers on the roads to enforce it and speed cameras don't monitor mobile phone use inside a car, yet.

Sadly a law that is broken constantly as there are no police officers on the roads to enforce it and speed cameras don't monitor mobile phone use inside a car, yet.

Agree totally - am so fed up with the Government wanting to bring in 'new' laws all the time. There are simply not enough Police out there to enforce the ones we already have.

And, if you really want to go deep...... sitting in a vehicle, with the engine running, even if parked up and using a hand-held mobile phone - YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW!

AFAIC If it's not an emergency, no phone call is ever that important that it can't wait.

Correct, I know someone who got 3 points for this!

Not yet!! but there are some currently on trial doing exactly that.

Not yet!! but there are some currently on trial doing exactly that.

Are we planning to lease CIA spy satellites?:D Or have we subbed this out to Google?

Sadly a law that is broken constantly as there are no police officers on the roads to enforce it.......

I completely agree this is a common sight on our roads - but I can assure you there are some police officers on the roads enforcing this legislation on a daily basis ;)

The problem is...

1) Drivers seem to think that the law does not apply to them
2) They can drive perfectly well with the latest Nokia/Blackberry/SonyEricsson glued to their ears whilst they recite the shopping list to their partners...
3) A £60 fine and 3 points is simply not a deterrent

I would prefer
1) a minimum £500 fine
2) a minimum of 9 points
3) crushing of said phone preferably using the law-breakers skull
4) sale of law-breakers vehicle and the proceeds going to a suitable charity, perhaps something to do with families that are destroyed by idiots who use mobile phones when they drive and then kill people.

Rant over

:D

The problem is...

2) They can drive perfectly well with the latest Nokia/Blackberry/SonyEricsson glued to their ears whilst they recite the shopping list to their partners...

I would prefer
1) a minimum £500 fine
2) a minimum of 9 points
4) sale of law-breakers vehicle and the proceeds going to a suitable charity, perhaps something to do with families that are destroyed by idiots who use mobile phones when they drive and then kill people.

Rant over

pmsl :D:D

Thought someone might like that..... I actually hate mobiles, yes I do have one!

They have gone from useful aid to scourge of the 21st Century.... :p

The problem is...

I would prefer
1) a minimum £500 fine
2) a minimum of 9 points

Rant over

My feelings exactly although I would change the crushing of the phone to making them eat it.

gary

My feelings exactly although I would change the crushing of the phone to making them eat it.

gary

There might be some Health & Safety implications in making them eat it..... lol

just let the police take the phone off them and stamp on it :)

No fine, no other action just the inconvenience and expense of replacing a knackered phone

There might be some Health & Safety implications in making them eat it..... lol

Then use it as a suppository...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom