Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vans? Slow? I thought white hire vans were meant to be the fastest thing on the road? :D

Hi

It would be interesting for each of the contributors to this thread to declare whether they hold a motorcycle licence or not. I was critical of motorcyclists until i tried to get the licence.
I've had a bike licence since the 70s. I gave up bikes 15 or so years ago as I seemingly became increasingly invisible, which rather negated the fun element.

Since then 4 wheel drivers seem less bike aware, possibly more blind spots in modern cars? Bikers mostly sensible and responsible, but a growing minority seem to be relying on car drivers noticing them while hiding in the blind spot!

Having ridden bikes and driven cars since the 1960's I'vce seen stupidity in cars, vans, lorries, buses, and bikes. I don't think any one group is immune. The thing that annoys me is the number of drivers who still insist on using mobiles, hands free kits have been available for ages, just what is the problem with getting one! What phone call is so darn important that it's neccessary to risk the lives of others.

Come and spend a day in SW London , you'll be able to count on one hand the amount of sports bikes doing less than 70mph .

Not confined to SW London by any means. I know the sort - they think all UK speed limit signs are not in mph but Mach.

I do however disagree with the car blind spot theory. If you were any kind of proficient driver, you would be aware of your car's shortcomings, whatever they are, and drive with them in due consideration. The number of times I see an emergency vehicle behind me, pull over, only to be overtaken by the ignorant and/or oblivious imbecile in the car behind me (and sometimes more than just one)... How do these people ever pass a driving test?

DolphiN Tech said:
It's a good thing I don't own a sportsbike, a romper suit, an illegal numberplate or headlight covers, or spend every weekend hacking down backroads then, otherwise at this rate I'll have a lynch mob asking for :ban: :D

No, it's ok, that would be me.

I also lie in wait for Howard and his pram. I live for moments like that.

Haha !! :D

It's not a pram , it's a buggy.

I'll keep my squeezy bottle of diesel handy for when i clock you lying in wait.

You let the baby drink diesel?

Bringing baby up to be a petrol head I understand... But diesel... That's just plain wrong.

No, it's ok, that would be me.

I also lie in wait for Howard and his pram. I live for moments like that.

Oh good...at least someone is keeping it up in my absence then :D

I was thinking of this very thread this morning as I cut and diced my way through the M25 traffic.

I chortled as I wheelied away from the lights and again when the little old lady waiting at the bus stop almost jumped out of her skin when I passed her. Shame she didnt have a pram with her or it would have been worth at least double points.

Now, steady on Bruce, I have a reputation to uphold :D

It seems a lot of the venom is aimed at what I would term the "weekend warrior" - a creature I have very little time for myself.

When you're doing 70 miles a day commuting, arsing about and riding like a tit seems like very hard work for no purpose, not to mention almost certain to get you killed considering the amount of time you spend on the road. :thumb:

I probably filter through about 10-12 miles of traffic a day on average, almost all of it stationary, saving an hour a day minimum on the commute.

Likewise.

Hi-Viz vest, legal cans etc but still get idiots tryign it on. Yesterday I nearly dropped the bike on a roundabout because some kindly van/lorry had covered it in diesel. then some impotent little man decided he try to feel better about his flacid willy/fact he was driving an Audi and tryo to knock me off. I may have informed him in no uncertain terms about the above.

People who ride like idiots annoy me, people who ddrive like idiots also annoy me but it is unfair to paint all with the same brush.

m.

So, joining a motorway today, traffic at a standstill, drivers pulling into nearside lane to join...bikers riding between those on the motorway and those joining...bikers are amongst the most stupid road users...period.

So, joining a motorway today, traffic at a standstill, bikers making progress as they don't need to be stuck some car drivers, me for example, get all het up about it simply because having somethign to moan about is all that keeps us going.

Fixed that for you.

m.

Fixed that for you.

m.

I think Renault12's point was that the bikers were riding between two lines of traffic as they merged (the inside lane and the on-slip-road) which is unbelievably dangerous and thoughtless.

As it was a motorway, the bikers could have made safe progress by passing between the outer lanes of traffic.

I think Renault12's point was that the bikers were riding between two lines of traffic as they merged (the inside lane and the on-slip-road) which is unbelievably dangerous and thoughtless.

As it was a motorway, the bikers could have made safe progress by passing between the outer lanes of traffic.

That's not the problem bit. It is his sweeping statement that bikers amongst the most stupid road users, following directly behind my last comment about not tarring everyone with the same brush.

It's a very narrow minded and slightly bigoted point of view and I simply wanted to highlight that point.

m.

There's ****holes on bikes and behind the wheel, as ever it's the worst of both that we remember not the normal drivers who make up the majority.

For balance, saw a complete nobber in a current E Class estate tonight on the M5 tailgating, undertaking at one point I wondered if my car was made of magnets he was so close. Did cOnsider postIng his private Plate up here but not that bothered and I doubt such a piss-poor driver would be a member

Likewise.

Hi-Viz vest, legal cans etc but still get idiots tryign it on. Yesterday I nearly dropped the bike on a roundabout because some kindly van/lorry had covered it in diesel. then some impotent little man decided he try to feel better about his flacid willy/fact he was driving an Audi and tryo to knock me off. I may have informed him in no uncertain terms about the above.

People who ride like idiots annoy me, people who ddrive like idiots also annoy me but it is unfair to paint all with the same brush.

m.

Something about not tarring everyone with the same brush-do you really think a van/lorry driver spills diesel on purpose at £1.40 a ltr?:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom