Vito roof rails question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Amazing info. Thanks.
I'm in Devon too (Exeter) - might hassle you for some tips if I can't get mine sorted.

I know this is an old post, but am surprised more people haven't also had the same problem.
This post is too save anyone, anymore trouble
The fitments were not fitted as standard on some models, including mine.
Many thanks to Sparkydude for pointing me in the right direction.
A639 992 00 07 is the threaded bush insert that goes into the roof from the out side (it has a rubber seal on underside)
A639 992 05 01
Is the tubular spacer bush that fits inside the van.
A639 990 03 04
Is the Torq pan head screw which clamps the other two components to the roof. You have to lower the roof lining to be able to fix the parts securely.
Not cheap, but it's the only way to do it properly.
All I wanted to do was fit a Keder rail to one side of my van, the cost of 6 of each part came to just under £30.00.
So if you want to fit a roof rack £60+ some hassle.
I hope this helps anyone in future.
ArryzedView attachment 97829View attachment 97830View attachment 97831View attachment 97832

No problem, I knew someone would eventually appreciate my post, word of advice, because your retro fitting these I would not trust the sealing ring to the roof on the nut, I use Puraflux 40 from Screwfix (it's brilliant stuff, use it for many things) I brought Allen key stainless bolts of eBay to attach Keder rail and then used roofing stitcher bolt washers to seal, but still put Puraflux on thread and where the two meet the roof

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_112905942_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_112905942_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200814_112909945_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_112909945_HDR.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200814_113048434_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200814_113048434_HDR.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 5
I know this is an old post, but am surprised more people haven't also had the same problem.
This post is too save anyone, anymore trouble
The fitments were not fitted as standard on some models, including mine.
Many thanks to Sparkydude for pointing me in the right direction.
A639 992 00 07 is the threaded bush insert that goes into the roof from the out side (it has a rubber seal on underside)
A639 992 05 01
Is the tubular spacer bush that fits inside the van.
A639 990 03 04
Is the Torq pan head screw which clamps the other two components to the roof. You have to lower the roof lining to be able to fix the parts securely.
Not cheap, but it's the only way to do it properly.
All I wanted to do was fit a Keder rail to one side of my van, the cost of 6 of each part came to just under £30.00.
So if you want to fit a roof rack £60+ some hassle.
I hope this helps anyone in future.
ArryzedView attachment 97829View attachment 97830View attachment 97831View attachment 97832
This is amazeballs. Couldn't have solved the issue without it. Thanks for the tip-off, whoever pointed me here, and thanks Arryzed!

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum, I am trying to fit some roof rails to my 2005 long wheel base vito, the roof rail uses 4 attachment points for each rail, the front two are fine, threaded attachment points there nice and ready but the middle and rear points have a plastic cover and then a hexagonal hole under it?
No threaded attachment point just the hole?
Can anyone help me as I do not have a clue!
Also, new to this please can somebody advise me. I have just bought a 2012 LWB Vito. It has 6 pairs of plastic screws on the roof front, middleand back). I wish to put roof bars on so I can use the box and racks I used on my old Ford Galaxy.
1) Do I simply unscrew these plastic screws/dust covers and inside are fixing points to screw rails or roof bar feet into?
2) Do I need rails to put bars on or do I attach the bar feet to the holes? What are the pros/cons?
3) I note from Denz's picture that there is missing paint in the roof weld. I have the same so why is that?
Thanks
Chris
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum, I am trying to fit some roof rails to my 2005 long wheel base vito, the roof rail uses 4 attachment points for each rail, the front two are fine, threaded attachment points there nice and ready but the middle and rear points have a plastic cover and then a hexagonal hole under it?
No threaded attachment point just the hole?
Can anyone help me as I do not have a clue!

If you have plastic screw caps it's likely you have the threaded inserts already there in the roof. But in light of comments here about missing threads on some vehicles I would unscrew them and check before going any further. The MB rails (that run the length of the vehicle) bolt directly into the holes is the roof. You can then buy cross-bars that attach to the rails. You may also be able to get cross-bars that attach directly to the roof (without needing rails) ... these would reduce the height, but they'd obviously be in fixed positions, unlike bars attached to the rails that can be slid back & forward to suit different boxes etc. Speaking of height ... without rails the Vito is just under 2m tall so will fit under all height restrictors for car parks etc. Fitting rails will tip it over 2m which may limit where you can go, even without a box or rack fitted.

Finally, the majority of "LWB" Vitos aren't! The three size options are called Compact, Long and Extra Long and the first two have the same wheelbase ... it's only the Extra Long that is actually LWB. You need to know which size you have in order to buy rails, as they obviously come in different lengths.

Vito lengths.jpg

Thanks for that BTB500. Yes, I believe I have the L2 model (the middle length).

So, it sounds like anything on the roof precludes car parks. I have two other questions:
1) I would choose rail and bar for the flexibility of moving bars. Are there different rail and bar systems as I have read some rails are decorative only and some bars only take 50kg (less than the 70kg on a normal car)?
2) Is the roof reinforced so you can stand on it, where you couldn't on a normal car without denting it)?

Thanks very much for your advice.
Chris

OK so you have a W639 'Vito Long' (which isn't LWB!). The L1/L2/L3 names only apply to current shape (W447) Vitos from 2019 onwards.

Car park height restrictions vary, so you may still get into some with roof rails/bars fitted. But 2 metres is fairly common, which is why we didn't fit rails to ours (IMO they do improve the looks).

1. Are you looking at MB parts, or aftermarket? The Vito is a commercial vehicle and none of the MB rails/bars are decorative - the cross bars (bolted directly to the roof) are rated for 100 kg in total if you use the front pair, and 150 kg if you fit the third one. I would assume the rails are rated for 150 kg in total, but I don't know this for sure. I have MB part numbers as follows (these were valid when we got our W639 Vito in 2007 so it's possible some may have changed since then):

Front pair of basic carrier bars: B6 656 0419
Third carrier bar: B6 656 0445
Retrofit roof rails (specific part number for the Long): B6 656 0637
Roof rail carrier bar: B6 656 0450
Load rack (specific part number for the Long): B6 656 0454

There are various other parts available including roller bars, ladder holders, lashing straps, etc. The cross bars (carrier bars) are also available individually in aluminum rather than steel (both the bolt-on type and rail type). I would pay a visit to your local MB commercial dealership first as many parts/accessories are surprisingly cheap.

2. I'm sure you will risk denting the roof if you stand on it - there is only local reinforcement where the fixing points are.

Looking at the feet of the rails the loads are designed to transmit down through the pillars.
Some aluminium aftermarket rails can look more appealing, depending on the colour of the van though.

If you stand on the roof I would be amazed if it doesn't flex, permanently dent.

Height can vary as tyre size can make a difference. I would be surprised if any standard config took it to over 2m though. Standard Vito is at 1903mm, the standard rails add 70mm to that. Crossbars additional height I wouldn't know about

Have you considered a trailer? 750Kg (max) w/o brakes. More aerodynamic means less wind noise, likely better consumption, easier load / unload. / hitch / remove. Less chance of paintwork damage.
If you have the tailgate it 'can' hit the hitch when opening though.

Hi,
What is the size of the bolt / screw? I've tried standard M6 but does not go in more that 2-3 threads. The bushes have some rust on them and used WD40 and vaseline to lubricate the threads with no success. Could it be a fine thread, M6x0.75?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom