• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W123 Diff Settings?

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Hi All,

I had someone change the front seal on my diff a while back, ever since then i have been getting a vibration at over 50MPH.

I have been told that tightening the front nut up as tight as possible was not the correct procedure and that it should have been load set?

Can anyone shed any light on this as the vibration is getting very annoying!?

Thanks

Jay

I thought that you were supposed to fit a new crushable washer , then tighten to a torque figure , then an angular displacement .

I would tend to look at this quite quickly as there is a good chance you will damage the crown wheel / carrier

Yes well i didnt do it, but im pretty sure i never saw a torque wrench being used whrn this was done, so i need some specific instructions on what the settings etc should be and ill have a go myself..

In order to do the diff, the propshaft was taken down, has it been put back the correct way round, this can effect the balance, they should be marked when taking off

Generally only if the UJ has been drawn off the splines and put back out of phase - takes 2 minutes to see .

i dont think they removed the complete propshaft, although i cant be sure... but i want to have all the info of what i need to chack before i start taking it all apart again...
Does anyone know the torque setting for the nut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom