W124 Engine choice - am I drawing the right conclusion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you are keen on the 300-24 you will still have to check the head gasket despite the low mileage.....I have a SL300-24 with 65,000 miles and I had to get the head gasket changed on that due to age and the fact that it had dried out. The HG had not actually blown but was starting to drip oil from the offside rear onto the exhaust manifold, which stank. Cost of replacement was £665 but I avoided having to have the head skimmed as I caught it before it blew completely.

Just to confirm on some of the comments re wiring looms.....this issue does not apply to the M103 3.0 or M104 300-24

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice and info.

I can't see any oil round the engine at all, anywhere.

With a complete MB History, would it be reasonable to assume they'd have spotted a leaky gasket an changed it? I can't get a call-back from the service dept on this. Is that the sort of info they'd normally give to a third party?

Festive greetings!

Cheers,

Paul

"I can't see any oil round the engine at all, anywhere."

Have you looked underneath for dried-up dark streaking back along the underside of the car?

"I avoided having to have the head skimmed"

Everyone's experience is different, but, for what it's worth, my mechanic has yet to deal with an M103 or M104 head that didn't need skimming, and I strongly suspect that the need for a second HG job on one of my cars was because the head wasn't skimmed when a previous owner had the HG changed. Skimming costs about £100.

Thanks.

It loooks like if I can't prove it's been skimmed, it'll have to be done on a better safe than sorry basis?

Is there a way of telling if it's been done by looking?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi All,

With a complete MB History, would it be reasonable to assume they'd have spotted a leaky gasket an changed it? I can't get a call-back from the service dept on this. Is that the sort of info they'd normally give to a third party?

Paul

If they did make any comment, I suspect that it would have been an advisory on an invoice. Its also worth noting that it can take ages for a HG dripping the odd spot of oil to blow completely, so even if they had spotted it, most customers would be unlikely to incur the costs until it started getting worse. The fact that you cant see any oil around the head would indicate that it seems fairly oil tight. Obviously you would need to undertake further checks for head gasket problems, such as oil in the expansion tank and also squeeze the top hose coming out of the radiator on start up....if its hard to the touch exhaust gases are getting into the coolant system and a blow in the HG will be to blame.

Having owned the M103 3.0, the M104 320 and the M104 300-24 the 300-24 is the most charismatic engine and gives off a lovely howl when you take it past 4000 revs.....the 320 has more low down torque and M103 3.0 is creamy smooth

Hi,

Thanks for more valuable advice.

I'll make an offer and post some images if it comes.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Again,

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I bought the car last weekend.

Certainly not love at first glance, but within less than a minute or two I was practically captivated.

The colour grew on me, and that was that. The image doesn’t really convey the minky shade of the car – 441 Impala Brown Metallic.

The thing I found hardest to come to terms with was the champagne metallic to the window and door frames – unless that’s normal, but I thought they were black from the factory.

The interior is Brazil Brown, and is in immaculate order with the exception of the bolster, which looks nothing like as alarming as the earlier images portray. It will be an easy fix.

All is as new in terms of the remaining trim.

Almost everything works, including air-con, a smooth rust-free sunroof, heated seats, dash lights, etc. The only exceptions are the OTG, cabin illumination on driver door opening, driver-side rear windows, and seat belt feed on that side, again.

The car is as dry as a bone, and is rust free. No oil round the engine or underneath, and at tick-over the motor is virtually silent – rock steady. Gear changes virtually imperceptible.

The change in engine note at just under four thousand rpm is almost sensual. You get the feeling it really wants to be involved for you. Mutch better than, 560’s and 600’s I’ve owned.

vlnc.jpg

frmr.jpg

frm.jpg

vlso.jpg

Incredible feeling. I am very pleased.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Paul

PS Same images in The Gallery

Looks good, isobars.

You will, of course, be aware that it has been fitted with a facelift bonnet and lights for whatever reason?

The trim round the windows and doors is correct.

Looks good, isobars.

You will, of course, be aware that it has been fitted with a facelift bonnet and lights for whatever reason?

The trim round the windows and doors is correct.

How about if 300-24 has been changed,so that way the car is facelift;)

A 300CE-24 never came with facelift bonnet or, for that matter, painted bumper inserts. I would also venture that the cladding has been resprayed as well.

Thanks for your comments and observations.

Yes, I was aware it had been ‘tampered with’, and normally I like things in their original state, but in this case I think I can make an exception because the changes simply follow the manufacturer’s alterations; I don’t consider it modified, more updated, and I think they’ve done pretty good job. I know Impala never hit a later bonnet – well, perhaps in South Africa - but I’ll live with that.

In all my years of car ownership I’ve never had the need or inclination to contact a previous owner, but this time I think I’ll drop the two named previous a note to say thanks for looking after the car so well.

Time to enjoy it.

Cheers,

Paul

Hope you enjoy many years and many thousands of miles with your car :thumb:

I haven't been in any new (less than a couple of years old) cars for some time now. Are they as plush and comfortable in the way they ride as a W124, even with sportline suspension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom