W124 Ignition barrel replacement help (The hard way!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am now the proud owner of the part below, courtesy of Nick at Euromerc. He even answered the phone on the first attempt within 2 rings! and then met me on his way home to give me the part - thanks Nick!
ea7e6a0e.jpg

Good news! What shape is the part in (in the car) with the wires that plugs into this new part, put up a picture of what you have left to do now.

Dec

Good heavens. I'm a nervous wreck having read this thread from the start just now. Hope you now quickly get the car running again Slideshowbob.

I am now the proud owner of the part below, courtesy of Nick at Euromerc. He even answered the phone on the first attempt within 2 rings! and then met me on his way home to give me the part - thanks Nick!

Thats going above and beyond. Well done that man!. Now if only your friendly neighbourhood MB Dealership could do the same.

So this was what was left in the car after i cut out the steering lock
2b5b2c8a.jpg

When i cut out the steering lock i tried to do it in such a way that i cut off the lugs that the screws fix into without damaging the part behind. You can see here how the lugs remain on the screws.
6c902cd9.jpg

With the steering lock cut off i could turn the bit that releases the electrical connector, and undo the screws that will release the lugs (that used to be attached to the steering lock)
9510ba5b.jpg

Here is the new steering lock/barrel attached to the switch. It is interesting to see how the pin (the one that locks the steering lock to the steering column) that has caused so many problems before can be depressed so easily with the key turned to position 1.
You can also see the lugs that were cut from the old steering lock.
52a91374.jpg

The whole assembly should now be ready to put back in the car.

Good result, you will be relived to get back to normal again, all very easy when you know how but baffling when you haven’t done this type of job before.

Thanks for the pictures, nothing explains things quite like photos.

Dec

You are right Dec, it will be a massive relief to get back to normal again. Will have to wait a bit longer tho because Tony is on holiday until next week and i havent got the foggiest where anything goes.

Hello everyone, haven't posted for a while but have been a member for a few years, moved from a w120 to a w124 in the last year.

Sorry to revive this old thread but my ignition barrel will not turn to position one! :( Everything was working fine up until I got into the car this morning, I have tried everything such as graphite grease/spray, wiggling it while turning steering wheel, using a soft mallet to try and get it loose, using plies with the key to add a little bit of leverage without snapping etc but still no go!

From what I understand, my next step is to cut off the black surrounding that covers the barrel, is that correct? Im assuming once I cut this off I will be able to access the spring that is holiding the barrel in place.

Please correct me if Im wrong or do let me know if there is anything else I can try. Thank you.

@Sp!ke
My point was that you can get it out of the car without removing the steering column or anything, even the steering wheel can stay in place.

It is literally 60 seconds to grind down the pin with a dremel and then you can simply slide the lock off.
Instead of doing all of this you could have saved yourself a whole lot of time and simply done what I said in my post earlier. Simply cit around the black outer sleave of the barrel and the barrell will almost fall out.

Even if you ignored that and wanted to get the lock assembly on a bench to work on, you could have simply done the following in the picture I've attached below.

As it is you've now damaged the base of the lock assembly. This wont be cheap and additionally, getting the ignition wiring back in place and in the right locations is going to be a whole heap of fun.
Anyone know if the connector to the steering wheel lock still come off if your key will not turn to position one. It’s look like from this video you can only unplug it once in position one

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom