W202 C180 has died - sort off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Csi031

Alas, my beloved 96 C180 has stopped working. Engine hesitated for a day or so and then stopped. I thought it was fuel pump, took it to Bosch Service Centre. The gentleman diagnosed the car has no spark and recommended change of crankshaft sensor. £250 later, car still does not start. He now says ECU has gone. :(. Any ideas for experts here

neilrr said:
Could be this http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/124684-w124-e200-no-ignition-cylinders-1-4-a.html .

Some W202s from that era use a PMS ignition control module, which might be what your guy is referring to when he says 'ecu'. If your car has one it's located under the washer reservoir bottle.

Yep. That's the one. Is it normal for the crankshaft sensor and the ignition control unit to go at same time? Does it just swap out or do I need to replace coil packs too?

Yep. That's the one. Is it normal for the crankshaft sensor and the ignition control unit to go at same time?

Not to my knowledge, no. I think CPS problems on these are quite rare. Did the Bosch guy find something wrong with it or was he just throwing parts at the car?

Does it just swap out or do I need to replace coil packs too?

Yes, they're plug & play, not coded. Coils should be changed if you can not absolutely & definitively determine they are good.

Have you got a replacement PMS unit?

I don't know is crankshaft sensor was faulty or not. He says he measure resilience across it, it was not accurate. Do you have a PMS

I mean resistance not resilience. My feeling is, he found car was not sparking. And changed sensor. The last Merc he had with same issue, had a sensor problem. He also said at first, they could get a computer reading. After changing sensor, they couldn't connect to computer any longer.

The cost is £120 for Bosch Sensor, £80 labour and rest Vat. Taking it to £240-£250. Includes diagnostic.

Is this reasonable or have I been ripped off?

PMS Part number is 0185454232.

I don't know what the going rate is for that work, just wondering if it needed doing at all if the problem is a PMS unit that's died.....

If you will put up a phone # or email address within the next ten minutes I'll see it, acknowledge it & you can remove it using the edit button.

I will then get in touch tomorrow.

neilrr said:
I don't know what the going rate is for that work, just wondering if it needed doing at all if the problem is a PMS unit that's died.....

If you will put up a phone # or email address within the next ten minutes I'll see it, acknowledge it & you can remove it using the edit button.

I will then get in touch tomorrow.

Ok. Where is the edit button? I'm using iPhone.

Bottom right hand corner of every post you make.

Finally fixed. New coil packs, new pms and new crankshaft sensor. Car back on road. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom