w202 C43 vs C36

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I notice from the link to the estate on Ebay that there are wheel arch extensions fitted, presumably to take into account of the 18s. I have staggered 18s fitted to my W202 Sport and could do with a set of these wheel arch extensions as my rears are just sitting proud of the arches. Any idea where to pick these up from ?

Many Thanks

Andrew

MB used to supply them, in the region of £140 each, however I doubt they are still available (where HWA parts, not AMG).

Many thanks for your reply, wow £140 each !!!

Looks like I'll be searching Google for a second hand set, if I can find them.

Many thanks for your reply, wow £140 each !!!
Looks like I'll be searching Google for a second hand set, if I can find them.

They come up now and again on eBay, around £100 per set. You may get more luck on eBay.de
They were standard fit on EU (AFAIK) C36's and some C43's, option code 776 "WHEEL COVERING FOR AMG 17-WHEELS (ONLY EXPORT)"
My C43 was supplied new without them in 98, Jon who now owns the ex-MB press C43; R733 JNH (had a couple of MBClub owners too I think) it was also supplied new without them.
For the 17's they don't do anything except hold dirt and moisture, but I understand why if you are running 18's they can protrude on the front.

The way things are going you will end up spending 10 grand so you may as well just buy Jays. Least you know it's all done and you are getting the best available and some form of after sales no doubt.

1999(T) MERCEDES BENZ C43 AMG ESTATE V8 AUTOMATIC W202 TITANITE RED METALLIC | eBay

Yes I did see that one advertised. It looks a nice car and judging by another car I have seen that was Jay's I know it would be a good one. It's an unusual colour too and I would definitely prefer a two tone interior so that is good too. I guess ideally I wanted a low mileage example as it would be a long term car for me. Not that the mileage on that car is high, especially for a car 20 years old!! Most that are advertised are well above 100K miles. Like I said before although I always generally prefer estate variants of cars, I think the 202 is better looking in saloon form. The estate is rarer though which is attractive.

I'm not expecting either to feel rapid tbh Karl. I know they will not compare with my current car or new machinery. Lots of modern 2.0 petrol engines produce more power and are probably quicker. I don't care about that.

How selfish. You’ll be holding everyone back!

They come up now and again on eBay, around £100 per set. You may get more luck on eBay.de
They were standard fit on EU (AFAIK) C36's and some C43's, option code 776 "WHEEL COVERING FOR AMG 17-WHEELS (ONLY EXPORT)"
My C43 was supplied new without them in 98, Jon who now owns the ex-MB press C43; R733 JNH (had a couple of MBClub owners too I think) it was also supplied new without them.
For the 17's they don't do anything except hold dirt and moisture, but I understand why if you are running 18's they can protrude on the front.
Hi Notwen, many thanks for your reply and search tip on Ebay.de. Will give that a go.

To knows that know about these things. Are there any real disadvantages to buying a car of this age that is a Japanese import? It seems they are same spec and generally would think should be in better original condition due to climate etc. I would ideally just change the clocks to be mph rather than kmh.
Is it a real no no in any way? I can see it could be an issue with newer cars with warranty etc, but with a 20 plus year old car???

What you reckon?

To knows that know about these things. Are there any real disadvantages to buying a car of this age that is a Japanese import? It seems they are same spec and generally would think should be in better original condition due to climate etc. I would ideally just change the clocks to be mph rather than kmh.
Is it a real no no in any way? I can see it could be an issue with newer cars with warranty etc, but with a 20 plus year old car???

What you reckon?
Hi, I have had a Japanese import (Nissan 350Z) and have not experienced any problems. They do not use salt on their roads which cuts down on corrosion and as you say, condition appears to benefit. Mine already had the clocks changed and I could not see any difference at all in the spec of the car.

From memory the Japanese spec. C36 & C43's have wood effect trim, rather than faux Carbon of the EU supplied cars.
They are generally very well optioned though.

There are 2 low mileage cars advertised atm and both are Japanese imports so that is why I was asking. Both C36's btw, one in London and the other in Gloucestershire both on Car & Classic website. Neither really excite me just from the pics as I would much prefer a two tone interior, but they do look in nice condition. Obviously difficult to tell just from pics. I was expecting there to be more choice available with C43's but not the case atm with low miles.
1995 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG For Sale | Car And Classic
1997 Mercedes C36 AMG in amazing condition For Sale | Car And Classic

Are the side skirts on the C36 the same as a standard c280 of same period or are they different? Difficult to find a stock pic of a c280 to compare properly.

They are different, 3 versions of the sideskirts on a W202:

C36
Facelift standard
C43

C280 Sport's didn't come with skirts as standard, if one has skirts they will be the AMG option.
Stock C280 should look like this (though this has the optional 15" AMG alloys)

Mercedes-Benz-C280-Auto-Sport-1996-Low-Mileage.jpg

Cheers guys. Think most images I'm getting up of 280's have amg body kits on them.

The second one you’ve linked @simon1966 looks to have the rare rear two seater option. I think it’ll also be a 5 speed, the 1995 a 4 speed.

With regards two tone interiors, I’ll be honest and say I can’t ever recall seeing a C36 with one? If it was a car you really liked, might be worth looking at getting the centre pieces replaced in white (or whichever) leather?

The second one you’ve linked @simon1966 looks to have the rare rear two seater option. I think it’ll also be a 5 speed, the 1995 a 4 speed.

With regards two tone interiors, I’ll be honest and say I can’t ever recall seeing a C36 with one? If it was a car you really liked, might be worth looking at getting the centre pieces replaced in white (or whichever) leather?

Ah yes I didn't notice the rear seats. Actually looking at them both of those cars look to have two rear seats. I did think that too about getting centres of seats re-trimmed. Maybe it was only C43's that had two tone option?

Ah yes I didn't notice the rear seats. Actually looking at them both of those cars look to have two rear seats. I did think that too about getting centres of seats re-trimmed. Maybe it was only C43's that had two tone option?
It’s very possible but it could be my mind playing tricks.

And on the subject of interiors, you’ve inadvertently reminded me of another difference between the C36 & C43 - the leather is different; the C36 has leather like *Mercedes of yore* whereas the C43 feels a bit more modern. Someone with more knowledge of W202’s might be able to enlighten you on the differences...

Have you thought about seeing if there’s a forum member near you that ones one or the other?

Yes Lee I know someone on here who has a couple of C43's and a C36 that's a little bit special, so I am going arrange a little visit:thumb: A bottle of nice whiskey may be enough of a bribe for him to let me have a good look and take me for a spin.

If you are thinking of a Jap import buy a C43 not a C36. The humid temps in Japan and the low mileages sitting in city traffic kills the C36 looms even more than over here :)

But for some reason the jap C43s are a lot rarer than the C36

Maybe it was only C43's that had two tone option?

Leather was standard on the C43, duo Silver/Black, duo Blue/Black or straight black. (there may be more designo ones, but I haven't seen any).

EU C36's had cloth as standard.
Early cloth:
1995 C36 AMG by Notwens, on Flickr

Was soon replaced with;
merc2.jpg

Most C36 optioned to leather, as far as I know only black leather was availble until around the facelift when grey leather was introduced. I have never seen any other shades on the C36.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom