W202 paint correction (with da polisher)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laters

Car
Honda CR-V
I have finally decided to get a da type polisher to try and get my paintwork back to how it should be.

I have read a lot about Mercedes paint being a harder type paint but is that also true going back to my w202 c class?

I am looking at getting a da polisher kit from here Car Care Products | Detailing Products | UK - Clean Your Car

and was thinking of getting one of these
DAS-6 PRO Polishing Machine - Clean Your Car

but which one?

Am I looking at the right polisher or is there a better one?

I bought the DAS-6 Pro and have used it with both foam and meguairs microfibre pads. I preferred the microfibre. I bought cutting and finishing pads and 105 cutting compound and 205 finishing compound (plus clay, glaze, wax etc). As an alternative try Shinerama. They're very helpful and their prices are keen plus they will often give a bit of discount too.

I recently bought this:
DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Kit - Clean Your Car
and although I haven't used it on the Merc yet, it worked wonders on the other half's Jeep. Don't expect it to be a quick job though-The Jeep took the best part of 18 hours work to cut, polish and then wax. Whilst using the DA it takes a long time to get a panel perfect, it does give results that nothing done by hand can touch

Make sure you mask all edges with 3M blue masking tape before machining with cutting compound! I use Autoglym Bodyshop 03B / 02B / 01B with a DAS6 and Sonus pads with excellent results. Have a water spray bottle handy as well, as the cutting compouns dry out quite quickly - oh, and lots of microfibre polishing cloths!

Agreed, I spent 2-3 days on mine, washing and claying first I still probably haven't gone as far as I could with the cutting compound but wanted to err on the side of caution and like you say, you could not get the results by hand. I also used 3m blue masking tape and covered the aircon vent area with plastic sheeting and also the soft-top. Also, once you've finished polishing, wash and dry thoroughly before waxing and if you really want the best finish you can wipe over with a watered down IPA solution to get rid of any trace of polish etc before waxing or sealing.

I bought a big bag of microfibre cloths from Costco then wash them on a 90 degree wash from time to time before using again.

Thanks for the advice and confirming I was looking at the right machine to get the job done.

Ive just ordered a das 6 pro polisher with the menzerna kit and some glaze to finish with a pot of dodo juice purple haze to top it with.

Ive used purple haze by hand and the finish I got was unreal so hopefully with all/most of the swirls being gone it will look that much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom