• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 C200 Kompressor - WDB2037422 - Fuel Pump Problem ?

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
Since replacing the fuel filter on the above car, I have experienced an intermittent whining noise.
It happens sometimes when the engine is running.
It also happens sometimes briefly for 2 or 3 seconds when I turn on the ignition - Then it stops - Only to start again as soon as the engine fires up.
I suspect the fuel pump.
I cannot understand why it should have started happening following a change of fuel filter.

I've had a look on Nemigaparts and it looks like the pump is in the top of the fuel tank and is a combined electric pump with the level sensor.
Part number appears to be: A 203 470 23 94.

It is not stopping the car from running, but I am afraid that the pump may "pick up" causing metallic particles to contaminate the injectors.
[I've suffered this once before with a cdi high pressure pump - Very expensive ! ]

Has anyone come across this ?
Am I correct in my comments above ?

I'm thinking of getting a replacement unit from Autodoc:
Ridex unit - Ref: 1382F0010.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.
Thanks.

I've done a bit more investigation.
The fuel pump is in the top of the petrol tank.
It is accessed by lifting the right-hand-side rear seat and lifting the padding under the seat to reveal a metal cover.
This is held in place by 8mm hex-head screws.
Removing these reveals the pump body underneath.
The MB Pt. No. on the pump is A 203 470 23 94.
Autodoc offer a Ridex replacement unit [Ridex Pt. No. 1382F0010].
The whining noise is definitely coming from the pump and it looks like I'm going to have to go there.
The pump is working OK, but the noise is a pain and I fear a failure may be imminent.

I had the same problem changed fuel pump noise still there, turned out to be a faulty fuel filter (1 month old) replaced it every thing ok after.

Thanks MERC54.
That is weird.
The fuel filter was changed about a month ago.
The noise was not there before but has been there intermittently ever since.
How can a new fuel filter cause a whining noise ?
There are no moving parts in the filter.
I lifted the back seat and removed the cover over the fuel pump.
I could hear the whining and it seemed to be coming from the pump (which obviously has moving parts)
I'm mystified.
Question MERC54 .... Was the replacement filter a MB filter ? ...... and was the second replacement filter a MB filter ??
The filter I fitted was Ridex Pt. No. 9F0075.
This is one of a number of options listed by Autodoc as a direct replacement for the MB part.
It fitted perfectly .... Diameters of outlets were all correct for the hoses - Everything was identical.

Both filters were a Mann filters from G.F.S i have no idea how it caused the noise but it did, i also have a new fuel pump which i got as 2 mechanics were sure it was the pump, fitted it noise still there so i put the original back on, so out of desperation changed the filter again problem solved,seeing as you are in Leeds if you do want the pump i would be happy to arrange a meet and you can try it to see if it solves your problem.

Thanks MERC54.
Your comments are very helpful - although I'm still mystified.
Like your two mechanics I was sure that the noise was coming from the fuel pump.
I was just about to order one, but now I'll take the easier option of changing the filter.
I'll get a MB filter from the main dealer.
I'll let you know how I get on.
I may yet take up your offer of the spare fuel pump.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom