W203 Speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
I replaced the standard audio 20 with a Pioneer Avic a while back - Masive difference to the sound quality.

I am thinking of replacing the front speakers. Are the standard ones just normal paper speakers, would a half decent set make much difference ?

Something like these...

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/131/201/TS-E170Ci/index.html

Cheers
Adam

Changing speakers would most certainly improve sound especially if you have changed the the head unit to a AVIC unit. If you have the standard speaker system and not the HK sound option yes you will have standard paper drivers. Those pioneers are an amazing set and will sound amazing, just do your research into whether you will be able to hide the tweeters in the factory sail panel location. Dont forget you will need this too:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1976.html

Yes I just have the standard speaker setup.

It was actually the guys where I purchased the avic that advised on the speakers. They reckon the tweeters should fit - they also mentioned the adapter plates as well.

I'll have to knock them down on their fitted price and go for it - I've got no where I can do any work my self...

Is it worth doing the rears as well ?
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/131/201/TS-E1302i/index.html

Adam

Last edited:
Yup only worth going for the matching emotion series rear speakers and those would be perfect. Top notch place but be wary of their fitting prices can be a bit shocking some of them.

Thanks, might just go the whole hog then - if the rears will fit ok. Did I mention the fitter? Uplands in Bristol, they quoted £45 front & £35 rear fitting - so far...

The speaker adapter plate you in your link to shows C class 2000 onwards.

Was there any change in the facelift from the old W203 as all I can find is a plate for C class up to 2004. The manufacture said they may fit but haven't been tested on the later model.

Cheers
Adam

As far as I am aware there were no changes in the speaker sizes between pre-facelift and facelift W203's if there had been Autoleads would have made a new kit. Regarding the fitting charges they seem reasnable enough but you could fit them yourself too they aint that difficult to do especially the back which IIRC you dont even need to remove the door card for just the grill.

Cheers, I'll have a look at rears, see if your correct and maybe do them myself - it is an estate by the way if that makes a difference. As for the fronts I could do them quite easily but the problem is I don't have a big garage so it's either in the cold or rain!

As you pointed out the tweeters may not fit and might have to use the ones from a TS-A170 series, same size but apparantly the casing comes off ?

Cheers
Adam

Last edited:
I wudnt really suggest swaping around tweeters from another speaker set but should they not fit I guess no other choice. The tweeters may be a bit bigger but they are still very low profile and you should still fit. All Pioneer component sets come with sticky back stickers anyways so if you find it wont clip into place you can still secure them and all will still look factory once the sail panels are re-fitted.

The TS-E170Ci tweeters fitted in the end but only by snipping the front guards and grinding away part of their surround. Without the grinding, the sail panels wouldn't clip completely into place. Main front door speakers were just a straight swap with the adapter plate.

The crossover is quite big but fitted behind the door panel in front of the central locking unit.

Didn't do the rears as the adapter plates they sent were wrong, possibly for a w203 saloon ?

As for sound quality, they are alot clearer, brighter, but maybe now lacking in bass - not sure yet...

Cheers
Adam

Does anyone have info on the adapter for the rear door speakers.

The car is a 2007 W203 estate. They seem to be different to the saloon and the pre facelift estate ?

PS, no the TS-E170Ci's fitted to the front are not lacking in bass........
Cheers
Adam

Last edited:
i changed all my speakers in my w203 saloon to the vibe slick series, the tweeters fit with out any mods and i made the rear adaptor plates as i could not get hold of plactic speaker adaptors for the rear, but the fronts were available and fitted quite well. i also disconnected the rear sub and added my own with a gain crontroller, i run my whole system of amps and have excellet crisp sound.

i can second the vibe series - great sound, got SEK60's up front & SE50's at the back.

i had to fettle the tweeter sails with a knife to front mount them with the ally facias - but worth the effort. as for adaptor plates - all 4 made from 18mm mdf - no distortion & nice crisp sound.
cant wait to amp them up

Thats the exact same setup i have got! wow what a small world. i have mine amped and they sound amazing, im also running a pioneer x3bt. i have a 3000w rms mono amp for the sub and a 1000w rms 4 way for the mids and tweeters. i may add a center channel speaker to get the dolby dts but it cant justify adding it at the moment.

3k sub!! like the sound of that. was thinking of gettin a 4ch vibe amp and running it all off that. didnt want to pay 400 for the install tho :(
but best of all: VIBE is british (and made in britain!!)

Thanks both, Is it simple to get the door card off the estate, I didn't fit the fronts myself. Maybe I'll have to have a look into making and MDF adapter of some sort.

Did you have any pics ?

Cheers
Adam

rear door card removal is similar to front: unclip handle front - 1 TX15 screw, 1 under airbag badge & plastic card surround thing from door latch.

i use plastic tyre lever to prise card off without scratching paint.

i have no piccies but MDF surrounds are v simple. Buy speakers, make internal hole big enough for speaker basket (jigsaw) then draw round o/s of speaker & cut out. line up to door, mark n drill mounting holes: sorted.

rob

PS i got a set of autoleads adapters for the rear from halfords (computer says this one :dk:) - they didnt fit. TBH - the MDF ones are much better!

I 2nd that MDF are much better and help the acoustics. and not that difficult to make, u can use 12mm or 18mm i think i used 18mm as i had enough clearance from the speaker to door guard/speaker grill.

its a massive improvement in sound. and when amped up the speakers are in thier element. and i can crank it up when i need that back massage and to loose the world beyond my windows!

when i get my car back from the bodyshop (been over 4 months) i will post some pics, of my install which i made myself, its so well made as i used medical grade glue and very expensive screws. and all the materiels are from work, so it did not cost me a penny.

Just saw this thread...:)

Another option (done in mine and will probably get around to the wife's) is the IQ line from rainbow. Running with stock audio 20 ATM, but looking to swap out HU soon. Straight swap and excellent sound.

BTW. can you put up some pics of the AVIC installed? Thanx

Paulo

i use plastic tyre lever to prise card off without scratching paint.

This is a good tip (bicyle tyre lever); thanks :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom