W210, 2002, rusty arches. Would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pimpdriver

Car
2002 W210 Elegance Estate
Hi

Nearly venturing into buying a Merc E320 Cdi.

2002 model.

Here are the rust photos.

Would you buy it?

depends on mileage, price, how your going to use the car and what your expecting from it.

When i was looking for a 210 i couldnt find one which didnt have rust

'Normal' W210 rust, won't see many without it unless they have been treated

I'm assuming it isn't the £35,000 it was when new...12 years ago.

It is for a daily commuter.

60 miles a day in all weathers.

Will fit winter or all season tyres to it.

Also to transport the kids in once a week, tip runs, chuck the bike in, maybe sleep in it.

It actually looks pretty good for a 2002, W210.

I know what to expect with the rust, have seen some shocking ones with holes in front wings.

Just wondered if state of the wheel arches is indicative of the rust on structural parts of the car.

W210 don't really rust structurally, just get a bit frilly on the exterior panels.

I thought there was talk of a structural member between the bottom of the front suspension that was covered up by a panel, hence the mot doesn't check it. Also interior of front suspension turrets?

I thought there was talk of a structural member between the bottom of the front suspension that was covered up by a panel, hence the mot doesn't check it. Also interior of front suspension turrets?

The engine cradles fall to bits and the springs go awol, buy it if it's cheap, they drive well.

I drove past a rusty 211 the other day, I guess they're next.

If it's not cheap buy something else.

The closing panel on the bottom of the subframe cross member rots if water has been trapped by the engine undersheild. A new plate can be welded on, but a dab of rust proofing and fitting spacers to keep the panels apart and they don't rot anyway.

Front spring cups can rot off, but are easily checked. That car doesn't look bad enough to have those problems.

Less than a grand and you can't lose much :)

See how it runs/drives. I'd be more worried about the mechanicals, tread depth on the tyres, when it needs servicing next and how much fuel is in it :D

Our 2002 estate does not have that amount of rust so I would look further especially the spare wheel area, around the door rubber strips to see what rust lies beneath.

Our 2002 estate does not have that amount of rust so I would look further especially the spare wheel area, around the door rubber strips to see what rust lies beneath.

Fancy selling me yours?

I am only in Calne!

I bought a year 2002 E430 about 4 years ago.
Paid £2000 for it.
I've replaced the 2 front wings and had a paint job done on it.
Front wings are not expensive.
Great cars for not a lot of dosh.

I bought a year 2002 E430 about 4 years ago.
Paid £2000 for it.
I've replaced the 2 front wings and had a paint job done on it.
Front wings are not expensive.
Great cars for not a lot of dosh.

Was thinking of a E430 but it is slightly out of my budget and the E320 CDI will be better on fuel.

I had one a few years ago and got rid of it as Mercedes only dealt with the "Rusty" bits that I could identify as I identified them. I was greatly concerned about the corrosion that I could not see! I have seen, on this site, pictures of severe structural corrosion on cars of a similar age to mine (mine was a 51 plate).

These cars are wonderful to drive - very comfortable and competent. If you can assure yourself that there is no underlying structural corrosion and it is "only" surface rust then it would most definitely be worth further investigation to ensure the mechanicals are fine. As others have said, if cheap enough - buy.

For the right price, yes.

Probably buying a tidier but slightly more expensive E430 instead.

Went to see it today, sounded bloody lovely!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom