W210 E55 oscillation/Vibration Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No problem..
Just to say I had my front rear subframe mounts changed as well... that did not help. Best keeping the money in your pocket and enjoying the car...

Thanks for the information. I'm chasing a vibration that sounds similar on my S211, and this seems to be a likely culprit: it's road-speed dependent and getting gradually worse over the years as if something is sagging. The diff angle is handled differently on the 211, but is still adjustable with a few washers.

Notes for my future reference and other interested parties: WIS doc for 211 and 219 is AR41.10-P-0086-05T. The various-spec washers (for my car, at least) are A230 352 04/5/6 76, 4 off of each per car and are £1.86 each from Inchcape.

I have same problem on slk,, only started since mot?? its worse on engine over run?, no play in drive shaft,wheel bearings, dont think there is a center bearing on these cars

Hi Janjuhab, thanks for the info, you were exactly right. The shim was removed and the problem solved. I too had replaced the front and rear couplings, the universal the hanger bearing and the engine mounts. The problem was still there so I was at a loss. Then my mechanic removed the shim and presto problem solved. There is an info sheet from Merc that maps the tolerances. The car is silky smooth now. Thanks Janjuhab. :)

I have replaced the shim and the vibration completely gone. The rear subframe mounts are seeping oil so the small difference of angle created causes the vibration. The factory manual says… "measure propeller shaft with electronic propeller shaft inclinometer" it also says "driveshaft bend angles that are outside the specified tolerance range can lead to reports of drivetrain vibration and rough response to acceleration" I have the diagram that details the inclination if any one wants it.

I've been following this post on and off, knowing with reasonable certainty that my 722 5 sp 'box had never had an oil change. I have also had an intermittent vibration, oartly to do with wheels that are shaped like 50p pieces, but despite having the balanced many times, there was always a vibration. Recently, as in last 2 or 3 weeks, I noticed it more running from cold, and improving when the engine was nice and hot. Anyway, eventually got the planned oil change done on Saturday morning, 149.1k miles and 12+ years, and y'know what, the vibration is gone. All that remains is actually what is in the wheels. Oil was like muck and filter was stamped April '02. Happy days. :)

Hi, its just a simple bolt. The nut is on the top so it's slightly tight for space, but once undo there will be a shim or shims, they come in 1,2,3 and 4 mm... I did mine on normal car ramps.
Hope that helps..

Small socket set on top and then another socket set with hex attachement at the bottom. The top will not spin as the gap is small and the handle part will hold in the space. Oh BTW. don't loose the top nut...!

Nope... I removed the shim and hey presto the oscillation went away! Wheel bearings were checked

Last edited:
No I mean like a similar noise???? I have a noise from the rear which sounds every bit like a rear wheel bearing but I have checked them and this isn't a bit of play in either bearing

The noise (oscillation) I had came in at 45-65 and then went... more pronounced on cold days.

E55 Vibration

I have a very low km 2000 E55 AMG and have replaced prop shaft couplings centre bearing tyres(balanced three times) and universal joint. Still vibrates when cold between 60km and 100 for 10 kms then goes away. Any hints on how to solve this issue? Thanks
My car is w210 320 petrol model 2000 ,,i ve a vibration problem from 40 to 60 km only in the beginning of moving every morning , after moving 12 km it is gone i ve checked all suspension parts tires rims and drive shaft line drive shift center bearing, engine and transmission mounts all r good,, unless that differential bushes I don't know if it works or not ,some told to remove it or change its shim or thickness ? If it is 4mm changed to 3 or 2 mm ...waiting ur reply ..thanks
images_jpeg_17_7e8a545d3c634e52a5ef2e17c089f165454f00e9.jpg

20220602_144515_cc93f27f5a900ae51e6a4f53c48e50cc2aac77ba.jpg

Hi Otahome,

I feel your pain. So you get vibration between 40-60 mph when cold. After a few miles it goes away.
This is what I have done:
  1. Replaced Gearbox Mounts
  2. Replace collapsed engine mounts
  3. Replaced Center Prop-shaft Support Bearing
  4. Prop-shaft couplings front and back
  5. Gearbox mount
  6. Front wheel bearings
  7. Front LCA's
  8. Rear front-sub-frame mounts - these are hydraulic and because of the power of the E55, these are common
  9. Rear Axle Housing to rear subframe, front mount changed

However, none of these helped the underlying problem, they made things better, but my vibration was still there, 45-65 then silky smooth.

After delving more I noticed that when I reversed the car up onto a set of car ramps (Car stone cold), and then drove it off, the vibration all went away completely. (I was checking and looking for more pointers under the car). However, the vibration came back the next day.
So this together with the help of a very helpful chap, DaveCr, from the UKMBOC (UK Mercedes Owners Club), we tracked it down to the shims that are fitted to the front differential mount (P/N A1403504941). They alter the angle the rear diff is connected to the prop-shaft. My one had a 3mm shim fitted from the factory.
So these shims are available from Mercedes in 1, 2, 3 and 4mm. I removed mine and started off with 2mm, drove it, it a little difference, but not to the point that I could accept. I then put in a 1mm, even better. But could do with more... so I removed it completely - no shim - perfect! The vibration is only noticeable if you listened for it. Last week I took it out for a quick blast and I could barely notice it!
Just as a experiment, I added a 4 mm shim, I tried it and the vibration was back big style! So I removed all the shims and now its the best it has even been.

Hope that helps.

Regards
My car is w210 320 petrol model 2000 ,,i ve a vibration problem from 40 to 60 km only in the beginning of moving every morning , after moving 12 km it is gone i ve checked all suspension parts tires rims and drive shaft line drive shift center bearing, engine and transmission mounts all r good,, unless that differential bushes I don't know if it works or not ,some told to remove it or change its shim or thickness ? If it is 4mm changed to 3 or 2 mm ...waiting ur reply ..thanks
images_jpeg_17_7e8a545d3c634e52a5ef2e17c089f165454f00e9.jpg

20220602_144515_cc93f27f5a900ae51e6a4f53c48e50cc2aac77ba.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom