w210 ignition problems solved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

automaniac

Car
W210 220 CDI Avantgarde saloon
For anyone who has got ignition problems with a W210 car, this could possibly be the problem. My ignition over the course of the last two months, progressively would not recognise the key fob. Sometimes it took as many as 5 or 6 attempts before the car would start. But it always started in the end. Getting fed up with this, I booked it ito my local stealership for a half hour diagnosis, only £45 chaps :eek:. They duly rang me to say the ignition barrel was knackered, ( I worked that one out for free ) Just by chance they had one in stock and could fit it straight away, although a "green key" :confused: had to come from London to code the barrel to the car.

Anyway the car is now back to normal, and including the half hour, the total bill came to £585.00 :eek: :eek:. Stealership is the right word... Could an independant garage do that job?. my understanding is that they cannot. But who would buy the car from you if you had to have 5 attempts to just get the ignition lights to work?? So I felt I had no option but the get it done. I guess I will just have to make the wife go out and work harder for a bit :p .

So if your 210 or any car that uses a similar system that is playing up and you want Mercedes to repair it, thats how much it will cost folks.

On the plus side, if there is one, the parts are guaranteed for two years. Now, I must rember to flog it by then:rolleyes:

Whats particularly irritating is that the old ignition barrel might have been repairable. Could have been as simple as a faulty IR sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom