W211 Active Charcoal Filter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmtx

Car
W204
I've the pleasure of having my E-Class serviced on Thursday (the first whilst it has been in my possession) and I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer as to whether my car has an Active Charcoal filter.

The car is a Jan 2004 (53-plate) E270 Elegance with the 2-zone automatic air conditioning. Mileage is 42,500 and it is a B service.

Getting quotes was one of the most long-winded things I've ever done, spending over 40 minutes on the phone to each of the dealers I received a quote from. They all seemed uncertain as to whether my car had an active charcoal filter or not and is it's quite an expensive item I'm keen not to be charged for it, if it isn't replaced.

The ESS says it needs the combination filter and the charcoal filter replacing but I was under the impression that these were one or the other? The only information I've managed to find up to now suggests that the combination filter is for cars with the 2-zone automatic air conditioning and the active charcoal filter is fitter to cars with the 4-zone. Is this correct?

If they do say they have changed it in the service I'm quite prepared to ask to see the old one, etc, however it would be nice to know definitively whether it is fitted so any info would be appreciated.

I would expect your car to have a button to turn it on/off if it has one.
My CLK has it and that has a button to activate the filter.

I have also heard it is brutally expensive!!

I would expect your car to have a button to turn it on/off if it has one.
My CLK has it and that has a button to activate the filter.

I have also heard it is brutally expensive!!

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I've been quoted £95.89 fitted, which seems pretty brutal to me!

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I've been quoted £95.89 fitted, which seems pretty brutal to me!

Why dont you change it yourself? Its a 15 min job.

The filters are under the passenger side footwell. Remove the panel under the glovebox, held in with two screws i think.

Once panel completely off you will see two plastic sliders, slide them and pull on the tab. Two filters are in there.

Once you pull the panel and get under there you will know what i mean.

And if your in a really mean mood hack the middle out of the filters and replace with a few layers of cooker hood charcoal impregnated filter.
I have been in a car with this done and wouldn't have known until shown !

I thought you only had the charcoal filter if you had the luxury 4 zone air con with digital read out front & rear

I thought you only had the charcoal filter if you had the luxury 4 zone air con with digital read out front & rear

You are right, i skimmed through through the original post. I also thought they only were fitted if you had 4 zone AC. Maybe not if the dealers say it is fitted but they are not always reliable.

Blonde question moment:

I have one of these filters in my car... what does it do?

The charcoal filter absorbs all the bad smells and fumes from the air that is sucked into the car and into the cabin.

Should this be run all of the time?

Should this be run all of the time?

Doesn't have to be run all time. It's personal preference and up to you.

Im presuming you having a button to activate it and turn it off?

If you leave it on the less chance of smells and fumes getting into the cabin i guess.

They work very well !
Something I have got used to and like, I have a "Rest" button that I like as well, my next car will have something like that and a Webasto with remote start but I would like it to circulate warm oil a "Preluber"

My CL has an active charcoal filter... it is a really easy job to complete and changes really easily.
However MB quoted me about over £200 for the spare part ... so I bought a 3rd party instead for a fraction of the price.
Mine is a two zone climate control and it has active charcoal filter so I assume it is not a rule to be in only a four zone one.

Thanks for all the replies and info guys!

As I thought my car definitely doesn't have an active charcoal filter, but it's okay because the stealer found plenty more wrong to make up for it!

Thanks for all the replies and info guys!

As I thought my car definitely doesn't have an active charcoal filter, but it's okay because the stealer found plenty more wrong to make up for it!

LOL - not surprised!! They're not called 'stealers' for nothing.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom