W211 Service setting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSS

Car
E-320 CDI Elegance 2004, fitted with Avantgarde alloys
I know there have been a few posts about setting the Assyst system for the fully synthetic oil after a service but having just had my 2004 E320 CDI serviced thought I'd share my experience.

The car was serviced a few days ago and I wanted to check that as Mobil-1 229.51 was used it was reflected on the Assyst system. I went through loads of posts to find how I'd got into this in the past and finally remembered that I found the sequence different to what I'd seen posted.

Car serviced at 72,915 by Mercedes dealer D+
Oil & filters
Poly belt check
Combination filter

Noted items:-
Pads 75% disks 25.5 (min 25.4)
(Quote to replace both £460)

NS diff seal weaping
(Quote £348)

NSF trust arm outer rubber split
(Quote £269)
I did ask if the rubber could be replaced but it comes as a complete unit, the joint is not worn as so it might as well be left until wear is detected and then replaced.

Rear springs surface rust
(Quote £327)
Can't say that this bothers me and will simply spray WD40 on them when I get a chance.

So assyst, for my car the way into the service settings was as follows:-
> Turn the ignition key to the 1st setting.
> Set the display to the outside temperatue
> Press trip 3 times
> Using the steering wheel buttons:-
> Down arrow to "Service Menu"
> - button to move to "Addit Work" select using page down button
> - button to select "Item 13" select using page down button
> Oil setting is now displayed
Standard or 229.5 (use - button to move highlight)
> Press page down button to save setting (important or it's not saved :doh:)

When you 1st go into the service menu it will show miles to next service and days, mine was +9,150 miles and +730 days. After changing to the correct oil it increased to +12,427. The mileage from my last service was 12,557 (again I corrected the oil setting after the car came back) so it's about right. So with a current mileage of 73,113 I'm expecting to need the next service at 85,540 some 3,000 more than I'd have originally got.

The dealer will be contacting me for service feedback and I'll point this out to them when they do. I had the same issue with Tony Purslow for the last service the dealers just don't bother to set the correct oil. Mind you as the car then calls for an earlier service you do wonder if this is deliberate?

Anyway, hope this helps others. :D

Thanks for the info..
I had my car serviced last October, and the display showed 15000 km's till next service. I will ask my dealer what kind of oil they have used. My w210 always showed 20000 km's between services.

Norse,
Think your service indicator will operate differently to what I have on my W211, mine I'm told takes in all sorts of data to work out when it wants to be serviced. Part of this basis is the oil in the engine and hence my issue with the dealer not setting the correct oil type.

Bryan,
I used Mercedes in Ascot, was going to use the Mercedes dealer in Brentford but they were vague about what needed to be done until they had the car in. Ascot just pulled the details off their screen and just seemed to understand what I was asking a little more. Still worked out a little cheaper that Purslow in Guildford (£330). Both dealers I find are good but I get annoyed with Purslow who seem to pick up every little thing about the car and want to add it into the service. Last time it was the wheel nuts that had surface rust on. I already agreed to a new mirror indicator as one had moisture in only for the new one to do the same after 4 months (they both do it now). Plus the A/C top up "it's a little low sir" and a quote of £600 saw me leave with a bill of £900. Then I had to go back for the A/C to be reset because it wouldn't run.

Both I can't fault for service, waiting room etc and even used the Purslow conference room when I had to do some work calls while I was waiting. It's just that you have to watch what they try to add in. Both charged £4.50 for screen wash additive which for some reason annoys me as I have 5 litres of this in the garage.....:mad:

Anyway car is all sorted for now but I'm getting to the stage where I have to look Mercedes or independent for the future.

Both charged £4.50 for screen wash additive which for some reason annoys me as I have 5 litres of this in the garage.....:mad:

That really annoys me about garages too. Why upset your customers for the sake of £4.50? Mind you I remember years ago being billed by a garage (not Mercedes) for a new wiper blade - to replace one that I had replaced just the week before: "Oh, it must be a mistake, sir".

Mistake my a***!

Just make sure your screenwash bottle is full before it goes in!!

I did this to my ex-wife's Renault a few years back and they still splashed some of their different colour screenwash in and tried to charge!! lol

RSS.
Just out of interest.. What would be different from the computer in your 211 vs. the computer in my 211? ? ? You have a 320 CDI inline 6 I assume. I have the same engine just downrated.. I have a 2005 and you have a 2004.. but I guess that would not make too much difference.

Norse,

Nothing different.....
Just re-read your message and thought you were referring to your W210. I would assume the systems are the same. Your W211 has the twin pipes at the back? Mine is Elegance but with Avantgarde wheels fitted

RSS - Useful info - thanks. If you want an indy to service your car, you're half the distance from PCS at Horndean as me, so why not give Olly a try next time you need some work done.

Thanks for the recommendation, in the past when I had a C250 I used Alan Cleary in Reading. I think I'll look to have some of the additional work carried out by PCS and this will keep the MB costs down. Could you send me their details when you get a moment.

RSS - You'l find PCS in the section of this forum titled 'Members' Offers by Traders', or just Google 'PCS Horndean'.

I went to my dealer today and asked which oil they use. They said they use Valvoline Syn Power XL-III, which as far as I can see, meets the 229.51 standard, and that they should have put in this spec into the ASSYST..

Does anybody know if this can be done to a w203 facelifted? My dealer used Mobil1 oil, but didn't change the serviceinterval to 20k

I had Mercedes ask me to do their online survey about my service. I told them I was happy with the quality of the work etc but marked them down for not setting the oil used into ASSYST, I also asked that the dealer contact me to discuss, that was a week ago and nothing yet.

Thought I'd update this thread, car now due for the next service and still on target for 85540, currently 88 miles to go. Service booked with PCS tomorrow, decided to move away from Mercedes and PCS came very well recommended by people here.

I wasn't sure if the service length would extend or not as I do a lot of motorway driving and limit the short journeys but it came out spot on.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading that there are two types of oil filters, standard paper element and upgraded microfibre element.

The higher service schedule should only be set if both 229.5 (or 229.51) oil was used AND the microfibre filter was fitted - apparently the paper filter does not last that long.

Not sure if this applies to all models though.

And BTW, my MB dealer fitted the paper element - probably saving on the microfibre cost over the paper unit...

RSS.
Just out of interest.. What would be different from the computer in your 211 vs. the computer in my 211? ? ? You have a 320 CDI inline 6 I assume. I have the same engine just downrated.. I have a 2005 and you have a 2004.. but I guess that would not make too much difference.

Not too important but E320 CDi is a V6 not straight six.

Not too important but E320 CDi is a V6 not straight six.

I think he meant inline as in longitudinal rather than transverse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom