W221 reliability and running costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dunnit

:thumb: well, after much pondering and and absence of 3 months form mercedes ownership, I picked up my W221 S320 CDI today. It's not a very high spec car but the price was the best anywhere and it has all the important bits for me. Loving it's first day with me.

A low spec S-Class is still an uber high spec car.

Get some pictures up and lets have a look at her then!

I'll stick an album up as soon as the sun shines again up here.....

Could be next spring :)

Well, 20k miles later and recently had.....

Failed rear height sensor....
Worn bushes on control arms replaced....
Indicator stalk replaced... ( must be me this one, my w211 was the same )

Going in on Wednesday to have Airmatic pump replaced along with some other related items as I reckon the system is not getting enough air to operate 100% but is getting enough to prevent error messages, I think that's just a matter of time. Significantly cheaper to repair than the SL's ABC though.

Still feeling positive enough with it though.. :thumb:

Excellent service yet again from MB Ayr, feels like a new car again with the new pump. None too expensive either.

Nice to see that Mercedes legendary reliability is still shining through.

Dieselman said:
Nice to see that Mercedes legendary reliability is still shining through.

I'm going to be tedious. C class ownership issues so far result to one bulb....

When merc get it right they do get it right ;)

Sadly they make V6 diesels and clunky 7g boxes but no one gets it right all the time

seems the airmatic on w221 is both a blessing and a curse, in that it gives it the magic ride quality, but is also a source of complexity and expense.

mirras, have you worked out your costs per mile to run it?

I haven't but I replaced an SL500 with the W221 so have halved fuel bills at least. I bought the car at a very good price too so depreciation isn't going to be stellar either.

The majority of repairs to both the SL and to the W221 so far have been suspension and I blame the roads round here more than the cars. My W211 had suspension issues throughout it's time with me too ( 120k miles ) and it was simple springs and shocks. All our other cars have prematurely worn bushes, worn track rods and broken springs too so not just a Mercedes issue.

@mirras sorry to bring up a really old thread of yours. hope you don't mind me asking. I've just bought a w221 s class and it's currently in the workshop getting a few bits sorted on it.

how did you find the running costs? did you use it often around town or was it mainly for motorway driving?

also were you able to update the maps/ntg3 system?I'm not sure how I can check what firmware I have so wondered if it was possible to update.

Sorry for the million questions - appreciate you have now traded in your w221. but just wanted to get some insight from a w221 owner

many thanks

Over the years mine had a couple of Airmatic valves, a new compressor and some other odds and ends like rear exhaust brackets, sensors and ABS rings. Other consumable things like batteries, brakes etc were also replaced but overall the running costs were not too bad as I did most things myself. If you have a good indy nearby ( or can negotiate a better hourly rate at a dealer ) then you shouldn't find it too expensive. I did update the maps when I bought the car however these are likely to be the same ones you already have. Mine was a 2006 car with 2010 maps.

thanks @mirras did you use it for motorway driving or was it a car used for around town? any idea what sort of MPG you got?

mine should be out this Friday from the workshop it's currently got an oil leak so they had to practically dismantle the front end to get to it. also needs the heater blower sorting and the rear suspension arm is causing it to sway when driving so hoping I have some trouble free motoring once sorted!

I used it for motorway driving ( 2x200mile journeys per week ) for a couple of years and got between 35 and 42 MPG ( I am quite a slow and smooth driver most of the time ). Later I used it for a mix of local journeys and long runs, around 30mpg on short journeys and up to the 42mpg on the long runs. It is the best car I have ever owned and second best I have ever driven. Best was a C216 CL600 based on the same chassis ( and what made me move from SL500 to S320 ). I have a Range Rover now and while it's a great car, it is not in the same league as an S-Class for quality or ergonomics. I have already been looking at W222s... must resist...

thanks for that. mine will be mainly used around town to get to work so if I could get 30mpgish I would be more than happy with that.

thanks for that. mine will be mainly used around town to get to work so if I could get 30 mpgish I would be more than happy with that.

I dough very much you will get 30 mpg in town. I have many friends in the Chauffeuring business and after buying the CDI where very disappointed in the mpg they where getting in London. Only on motorway's did the CDI come into it's own. Let us know what mpg you get over a period of timer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom