WARNING EBAY SELLER - collect4free !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can't agree to a deal outside ebay then scream when it goes wrong!
Simon is there no chance he is not at home away working or something that may stop him from replying?

Tony.

Tony - this has gone on for weeks and he has blatantly lied to me several times saying he has opened a claim with parcelforce etc, but I haven't received any correspondence and when I have contacted parcelforce they have said that no claim has been started.

I'm not screaming about it, it was my error for agreeing to deal outside ebay. I guess I just expect people to act as I would and therefore I just want others to be aware. This is the only platform I have really to do so, I have given up now on anything positive outcome other than I will strip off the bits that I can use.

How much did you pay for the wheel Simon?

If you have no joy with the seller, I might be interested.

I got it for a good price (well it would have been if it wasn't damaged). I still want to get hold of the same steering wheel so I can still use the airbag, but I think I would probably want new switches as they look a bit too worn for my liking.

The actual steering wheel is knackered though!!

I have the whole steering column with indicator stalks etc, which are all fine so that whole part may be of use to someone.

The silly thing is that I said to the seller that I only wanted the steering wheel and airbag so if he had removed them from the steering column this wouldn't have happened as it's that that has caused the packaging issues.

If you have paid by PayPal, make a claim. It would be good that you make scans of all texts, emails, etc and attach all that. Try to explain them that you have done all you can. Could work. I had similar case and everything went well.

If you have paid by PayPal, make a claim. It would be good that you make scans of all texts, emails, etc and attach all that. Try to explain them that you have done all you can. Could work. I had similar case and everything went well.

Thanks - but did you do payment the payment as a gift as though being sent to family or friends rather than paying for goods?

I did the payment as a gift as it meant he avoided paypal fees.

Tell him you have obtained his address is Leicester and will be sending a (large) friend with the steering wheel for a refund. Worth a shot, although he may call your bluff.

If you do want his address, open another ebay account, buy an item from him. Once won, you should be able to obtain his address (he will get yours which doesn't have to be correct). Only worth doing if you know anyone who can knock on his door

Wouldn't his address of been on the parcel? As they usually have senders address.

Sorry to hear you have had no joy with this Simon.

Would the citizens advice bureau be of any use?

I think the seller's user name has a cruel (but funny - sorry) irony to it, but you are as guilty as him for breaking the rules, and it's backfired, sadly. Reporting him to ebay will probably cost you your own account. He can't claim due to the content, and you can't claim as you aren't their client, so as other people have shown an interest in your item, you can either cut your losses and sell it on, break it up and perhaps get your money back, or appeal to the seller's better nature with the return offer he has made, which you are reluctant to do.

If you are going to send the 'heavies' in, make sure they have the wheel to exchange for the refund, and good luck, but don't bother threatening anything you can't or won't carry out.

Would distance selling regulations apply in which case, you may be entitled to a refund from your credit card or bank attached to you Paypal account? Just a thought.

Ask him for his address to send the wheel back, tell him parcelforce haven't collected and you'll pay for the postage back.

Then you have his address.

Also since he sells Merc parts there is a slight chance he's reading this in that case the above won't work as he he'll know what you plan to do.

Sorry to hear his tale Si...personally I would not go down the 'heavies' option.

I had a mate similar situation...unfortunately after 'heavies' went round he ended up with his car paint work decorated with nitromors paint stripper, resulting in insurance claim and premium on-costs etc....just not worth it mate, take it as a painful learning experience and move on...

take it on the chin...yeah it's a couple of hundred quid down the drain but why let it cause you so much stress now. its highly likely that your not going to get any money back off this seller. just list it back on ebay as damaged and try to claw something back for it.

his ebay user id is collect4free, with car parts i would generally go down the collection route - get to check the item properly and pay cash. leicester is not that far from surrey to be honest.

I'm not the sort to send heavies round there, it just isn't worth it in any way. I actually already have his home address and if I were to do anything I would just go and see him myself. I'm sure if we spoke face to face it would be sorted, but for a the cost it just isn't worth my time and fuel to deal with.

I'm just a bit p*ssed off that he won't respond and to me do the right thing. I even suggested he just returns half the money and I just keep the airbag, he could then do the claim with parcelforce and arrange collection for the damaged wheel but no joy......

In fairness to him it was originally a collection only listing on ebay, but when I contacted him for more pics he said he was happy to deliver. Clearly all this wouldn't have happened if I had collected it. That said he wasn't forced to say he would do delivery!!

Anyway this thread was just meant to be a heads up that if things go wrong you know what to expect!

Last edited:
Painful lesson learnt, now time to move on. Getting the heavies will solve nothing, may just make life worse for you, as several other forumites have also indicated...

As annoying as it is, some situations in life are just not worth the hassle :thumb:

I'm not the sort to send heavies round there, it just isn't worth it in any way. I actually already have his home address and if I were to do anything I would just go and see him myself. I'm sure if we spoke face to face it would be sorted, but for a the cost it just isn't worth my time and fuel to deal with.

I'm just a bit p*ssed off that he won't respond and to me do the right thing. I even suggested he just returns half the money and I just keep the airbag, he could then do the claim with parcelforce and arrange collection for the damaged wheel but no joy......

In fairness to him it was originally a collection only listing on ebay, but when I contacted him for more pics he said he was happy to deliver. Clearly all this wouldn't have happened if I had collected it. That said he wasn't forced to say he would do delivery!!

Anyway this thread was just meant to be a heads up that if things go wrong you know what to expect!

Hmmm, that does suggest to me that he knew it was damaged...

Move on chap - what is dished out is usually dished back in spades :cool:

Simon could you not make a few modifications to it and turn it into a rod pod?:D

Tony.

cobra7 said:
Hmmm, that does suggest to me that he knew it was damaged... Move on chap - what is dished out is usually dished back in spades :cool:

Or as I said earlier, try and claim from your credit card/bank that is linked to Paypal if Paypal won't consider it - you have nothing to lose!

We've all been there. You xxxxxxx up, learn from it and move on - life's too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom