• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Watches - any experts on here?

Maxi4

Car
Not an MB right now :(
Guys need some ponters on buying the right watch. I have always bought and used sub £300 watches. Normally tend to use 1 for work (metal bracelet) and use a Casio g shock for everything else. My work watch has died!!! And am not spending any more on it. So in the market for a new watch. What I like is something like this
TAG Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph Men's Watch 0001617 Beaverbrooks the Jewellers

So...this time around I'm thinking I should buy something that's going to last me a while i.e. The next 10-15 yrs.
Need some advice/opinions on:
1. Brands that you would recommend
2. Am I doing the right thing here? Do expensive watches last? Tag a good brand?
3. Or should I stick with something like a citizen? My last one was a Armani, not impressed with the build quality
As usual, always grateful for your input and thoughts

Cheers
Pete

PS: Hope everyone had a good Christmasand here's wishing you all a happy, prosperous and brilliant 2015

Many watch connoisseurs on this forum. They will be along in a tick.

I'm a ticky tock Timex man myself but do love a good old slobber over some of the timepieces that are worn by some members.

Many watch connoisseurs on this forum. They will be along in a tick.

I'm a ticky tock Timex man myself but do love a good old slobber over some of the timepieces that are worn by some members.

Ha ha me too
This time however I thoguht I'd splash out a bit.

Pete

Expensive watches are a luxury purchase, they aren't necessarily any better than your G Shock at time keeping. In fact you'll probably find most aren't actually as good as your Casio at time keeping.

Think of an expensive watch purchase like buying some artwork or jewellery, you don't need it, but it's a nice thing to own. Once you're at that stage, just pick which one you'd like that's in your budget.

I always go for Tissot watches which are reasonable quality and stylish (rather like Mercedes cars). I would love a Rolex though but there is other more important things such money can buy.

Last edited:
Would have to agree with the above regarding timekeeping and luxury purchases. Initially I didn't 'get it', the hype around nice timepieces but was fortunate enough to buy one a few years ago and I got bitten by the bug! Have bought several since and do alternate in wearing them. Personally I would choose whether you want a quartz or automatic/kinetic movement, style (chrono, date/day dispaly etc) set yourself a budget, and buy the best you can within it. Try and stick to watch brands/makers oppose to designer brands like Hugo Boss, Armani etc (as stunning as some of the designs are). Finally I wouldn't ruled out pre owned high end watches, although I know they aren't for everyone.

Good luck and let us know what you opt for.

Do expensive watches last?

If you fancy one as a 'nice thing' that's absolutely fine but they can't be justified on the basis of accuracy or lifespan as they tend to need expensive servicing to keep them running right.

My £100-ish watches typically last 10+ years without any attention other than an occasional battery change. Whereas my wife was quoted approx. £400 to have her Omega (which is losing about 10 mins per day) serviced. AFAIK this is a fairly typical cost and needs to be factored in if you actually want to tell the time with it :D

Expensive watches are a luxury purchase, they aren't necessarily any better than your G Shock at time keeping. In fact you'll probably find most aren't actually as good as your Casio at time keeping.

Think of an expensive watch purchase like buying some artwork or jewellery, you don't need it, but it's a nice thing to own. Once you're at that stage, just pick which one you'd like that's in your budget.

Completely agree. I just need a "smart" watch for business wear. The g shock doesn't really go with a suit :)

I always go for Tissot watches which are reasonable quality and stylish (rather like Mercedes cars). I would love a Rolex though but there is other more important things such money can buy.

'Swiss Railway' Mondaine watches are my choice. Rolex's are not the best time keepers by any means and they are pretty high maintenance. I prefer a watch that keeps accurate time, has a bit of understated style and doesn't break the bank if it has to be replaced.

If you fancy one as a 'nice thing' that's absolutely fine but they can't be justified on the basis of accuracy or lifespan as they tend to need expensive servicing to keep them running right.

My £100-ish watches typically last 10+ years without any attention other than an occasional battery change. Whereas my wife was quoted approx. £400 to have her Omega (which is losing about 10 mins per day) serviced. AFAIK this is a fairly typical cost and needs to be factored in if you actually want to tell the time with it :D

Thanks for this. I didn't really think about servicing! How often would you service? Is there a set interval? Like cars?

Thanks for this. I didn't really think about servicing! How often would you service? Is there a set interval? Like cars?

Like cars, they vary depending on movement, brand etc. Some retailers will tell you certain Rolex models need to be serviced every 5 years whereas independent watch dealers will tell you not to bother unless its actually losing or gaining a significant amount of time.

For omega's circa every 5 years. I had a nice seamaster for a while, wore it everywhere - even had to remind myself to take it off when working on the car !

Just posted a massive answer but it disappeared for some strange reason.

Mechanical watches usually need servicing around every 5 years, though I tend to leave them till they start losing or gaining a lot.

Budget depending have a look HERE for a good supplier of lower end but good quality watches.

If you're after the higher end stuff, THESE take some beating on price and service.

I have my submariner and seamaster serviced every three years.

But don't kid yourself that they will keep better time lol

My found on a beach and bashed to bits G shock keeps better time than the rolex or the omega !

My Sub gains about 1 minute per day, but I have a Seamaster from 1955 which barely alters for days on end. :)

One of these. I have one. Never need to set the time. Never needs a battery. Has light for night time viewing. Chunky though. Ticked all my boxes. Well made and can get spares. Just bought new strap for mine fo £40.
Edifice Solar Powered Radio Controlled Watch - H. Samuel the Jeweller

Anyone recommend a good traditional watch repairer for watch servicing. I have a vintage Orfina chronograph needing some attention.

+1 for Tissot. Just have one but I love it and am wearing it right now.

Visodate with black face, came with a black leather strap but I have fitted a steel mesh one myself as find leather too light for a good fit.

Anyone recommend a good traditional watch repairer for watch servicing. I have a vintage Orfina chronograph needing some attention.

I often use Time Repairs for mine. Not a million miles from you either in Oldham...

If you don't mind sending it away, then Christian HERE is brilliant.

One of these. I have one. Never need to set the time. Never needs a battery. Has light for night time viewing. Chunky though. Ticked all my boxes. Well made and can get spares. Just bought new strap for mine fo £40.
Edifice Solar Powered Radio Controlled Watch - H. Samuel the Jeweller

This is the other end of the spectrum that I'm considering. My Casio is solar as well as syncs every night. What more do you want :) still finding out a lot more about movements on high end watches...complicated pieces of machinery some are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom