• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Watches - any experts on here?

As others have said, if you want a watch that keeps perfect time and that is bombproof and cheap(ish) then buy a Seiko.

I am on year 6 with this one and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

ska371p1-2.jpg

The SKA371 can now be sourced for £200.

Totally agree with the above. My daily is a Seiko Orange Monster which I bought used on eBay about 2 years ago. Never given me an ounce of trouble, I swap between the bracelet and a NATO for a little variety but for the money it's been excellent.

Good man and a nice watch.

Hope you enjoy it and it lasts for many years. :)

I took a car for a £10 main dealer mot today, so wandered into town whilst waiting. I noticed H Samuel have a sale up to 50% off, but not this particular Seiko, which I like for the easy to see date. With leap years taken into account, there is no need to reset it until year 2100! My offer of £250 was declined!

With this thread in mind, I've just had a quick look on ebay, and bought this model, also for £194.50, but from a different seller. Good price, and the last one?

I often look at more expensive watches, and have a particular Glashutte model I'm interested in if I can find one, but Rolex and the like don't do much for me, particularly the "running costs"! I'd rather buy another Seiko than pay for an inaccurate watch to be serviced!

Anyway, the car unexpectedly passed its mot, so I may buy the white faced one as well!

I bought a Seiko Premier Kinetic a few years back in the states when it first came out. I really liked the design.

I've just found an old photo of it:-

P1050687.jpg

I loved the design and it was an excellent timekeeper but it never felt comfortable as it was bulky and heavy compared to the titanium Breitling I have. So I sold it.

As the fashion for watches has become larger and bulkier their appeal for me has gone. I still look in the window of course but I'd never buy one now.

If you fancy one as a 'nice thing' that's absolutely fine but they can't be justified on the basis of accuracy or lifespan as they tend to need expensive servicing to keep them running right.

My £100-ish watches typically last 10+ years without any attention other than an occasional battery change. Whereas my wife was quoted approx. £400 to have her Omega (which is losing about 10 mins per day) serviced. AFAIK this is a fairly typical cost and needs to be factored in if you actually want to tell the time with it :D

£400 is now the standard charge for Omega servicing ; I've had my f300 electronic from new ( circa 1975 ) , used to wear it every day until one time the strap gave way and it fell onto concrete . It has never been the same since - I got it repaired but the accuracy was gone ( used to be within a few seconds a month , went to gaining about a minute a day , despite sending it back for adjustment ) . Last time I changed the battery I must have done something ( probably broke one of the hair thin index arms ) as it just hums but no longer runs .

My dad's 1956 Rolex , which I inherited , is a simple wind-up watch , keeps perfect time but , even more than my Omega , of huge sentimental value so I very rarely wear it .

For a while , my everyday watches were the things you pick up for £5 in petrol stations and throw away when they break , currently wearing a £100 Pulsar kinetic , bought from Argos which has a nice weight , looks nice , runs faultlessly and keeps perfect time .

I took a car for a £10 main dealer mot today, so wandered into town whilst waiting. I noticed H Samuel have a sale up to 50% off, but not this particular Seiko, which I like for the easy to see date. With leap years taken into account, there is no need to reset it until year 2100! My offer of £250 was declined!

With this thread in mind, I've just had a quick look on ebay, and bought this model, also for £194.50, but from a different seller. Good price, and the last one?

I often look at more expensive watches, and have a particular Glashutte model I'm interested in if I can find one, but Rolex and the like don't do much for me, particularly the "running costs"! I'd rather buy another Seiko than pay for an inaccurate watch to be serviced!

Anyway, the car unexpectedly passed its mot, so I may buy the white faced one as well!

Ooh, Glashutte - good choice. Which one? I've got a PML XL, the movement is a work of art.

Cheers,

Gaz

Wow exactly what I've been drooling over! as we're moving (house) in the new year I can't justify this cost on top. So maybe one for Santa next year :)

Having had my f300 40 years or so , the one I'd still like is the Speedsonic , alas very rare and expensive . A bit much to risk on something of that age .

Either that or a genuine 1960's/1970's Speedy , same applies .

Oh , and although it will be a fad , the watch to be seen with in coming months will be the new Apple watch .

I've only been home a few days after three months away, so, like a kid at Christmas, this thread has made me dig out a few watches for you Seiko fans! Also, one of my faves is an aluminium Swatch watch I've had for years, which you wouldn't know is on your wrist

I bought this one in America in 1987, so the date is correct, but in American format. A bit retro, but I think it still looks good.

These two are art deco styled, with the hands designed to look like skyscrapers

and I wear this titanium watch more often than not.

Probably a dozen or so others, but I've been wearing my free Sony Smartwatch whilst I've been away, as I can see if I need to get my phone out of my pocket when it rings or not and send it to answerphone, which is handy whilst I'm dealing with customers, plus a host of other stuff like reading texts, emails, facebook etc. Loads of apps available, faces to choose from, plus I can view pictures on my phone! Naf, maybe, but secretly admired by others!!

Ooh, Glashutte - good choice. Which one? I've got a PML XL, the movement is a work of art.

Cheers,

Gaz

I'm after one from the Original Sports Panorama Date range, Gaz. I missed out on one that first attracted me last year, when I knew nothing about them, so it's eyes down, look in!

£400 is now the standard charge for Omega servicing ; I've had my f300 electronic from new ( circa 1975 ) , used to wear it every day until one time the strap gave way and it fell onto concrete . It has never been the same since - I got it repaired but the accuracy was gone ( used to be within a few seconds a month , went to gaining about a minute a day , despite sending it back for adjustment ) . Last time I changed the battery I must have done something ( probably broke one of the hair thin index arms ) as it just hums but no longer runs .

I have a 1974 f300 Constellation and have found THIS GUY to be one of the best in the UK for servicing and repairs on them.

No affiliation but certainly worth a chat to. I'm now running off to check mine as I've not seen it for months as it's in storage with the others. :)

I'm after one from the Original Sports Panorama Date range, Gaz. I missed out on one that first attracted me last year, when I knew nothing about them, so it's eyes down, look in!

Not one like this, perchance?

IMG_1371_zpsbc4d7b58.jpg

There's one for sale on a watch forum I frequent, although it's actually on hold for someone at the moment.

Cheers,

Gaz

Gaz, that's pretty damn close! I want one with the adjustable bracelet, which has an innovative design, but do you know the price of this one? PM me if you prefer. There is also one with cities around the bezel, but I can't remember the model at the moment.

Mike,

It's up for £2700, I don't know if that's a good price or not as I don't really know that model. I guess you could get a bracelet from Wempe or whatever, but I doubt it'd be cheap!

Cheers,

Gaz

Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Perpetual Calender. Those crazy Germans, that trips off the tongue.. :D

Glashtte_giveaway__.jpg

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom