• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Watches - any experts on here?

Completely agree. I just need a "smart" watch for business wear. The g shock doesn't really go with a suit :)

I have Breitling Aerospace E75362 which IMO was the pinnacle of this particular model, it is quartz and very accurate but it's looked down on a little by the connoisseur due to it being quartz.

I bought it second hand some years ago and luckily enough it's now worth about twice what I paid for it.

I like the design, I like that it's entirely made from Titanium and light and comfortable.

I spent £40 having the battery replaced and a new gasket earlier this year at a local horologist. I don't send it to Breitling as it costs too much. Think Main dealer vs local independent like you would with a car.

I have to say I don't like the fashion of the large size of the new watches. I saw a Breitling Emergency on a shop just before Christmas and it was so large it looked absurd, it can't possible be wearable under any normal clothing.

I have my "forever" watch now and I'm not really tempted to buy anything else. Although I would quite like a Cartier Tank Solo as a dress watch as it's so classical, but again that's a quartz.

My Sub gains about 1 minute per day, but I have a Seamaster from 1955 which barely alters for days on end. :)

I inherited Dad's Rolex from 1958 and it keeps exceptional time, in fact all my automatic watches do with the exception of a Seiko5 - the other Seiko autos and Orients also keep great time.

As an aside ... does anyone actually need a watch nowadays?

I didn't wear one for several months last year and had no problems at all, even though I have to catch 4 trains a day. There are clocks everywhere, and failing that most of us have a mobile phone that shows the exact time!

Habit in my case. When my Rolex mainspring went (must get it off for repair) I had to rush out to buy a Seiko. I am rather obsessive about punctuality and hate digging out the phone to tell the time.

Thanks for this. I didn't really think about servicing! How often would you service? Is there a set interval? Like cars?

I was bought an Omega Seamaster Professional for my 40th by my wife, it was worn a lot at work along with others........its never been serviced and it still keeps excellent time, probably within 10 seconds a week (I tend to check and adjust my watches when purchased, although often they do not need it), so its 20 years old and is very accurate still.

Service them if you want, or wait until they tell you they need it!

Don't believe the carp about Rolex being "not very good and just flash"....the mechanism is an excellent design with some innovative features which provides accuracy and long service intervals, I am not a Rolex fanboy by any means but they ARE good watches. Primarily I am an Omega fanboy :D

An expensive watch should be viewed upon as a luxury purchase, the only jewelry a man needs in fact......In fact the only jewelry a real man wears :devil:

As an aside ... does anyone actually need a watch nowadays?

I didn't wear one for several months last year and had no problems at all, even though I have to catch 4 trains a day. There are clocks everywhere, and failing that most of us have a mobile phone that shows the exact time!

Yes (although not so much now I am retired) as I have never carried a mobile phone with me, its only kept in the car or in a draw at home.....my life does not fall apart if a mobile phone is not in my hand ;)

Since I bought my Pebble, I haven't worn any of my proper watches, not even once. T's so much more than a watch.
https://getpebble.com/pebble_steel

I would visit a few second hand jewellers and find out what's available and at what price. More importantly get to know one or two, so they call you when the perfect watch comes into stock, or when they need to let the perfect watch go at a lower price than they'd hoped.

I've always bought new watches until recently, but the experience of buying a couple of second hand watches has been fantastic. I now get excited when I see a jewellers with a few second hand watches, and I've not been in the 'new' jewellery shops since.

As stated, if you think Mercedes know how to charge for servicing then you've never had dealings with a Swiss watch manufacturer. Dependent on the mechanism, some of the costs can be truly eye-watering :crazy:.

Quartz on the other hand need little maintenance other than the occasional battery change, which can still work out pricey dependent on the type of watch. If you've got a diver's type watch and want to maintain the waterproof rating, then it normally needs a trip back to the manufacturer or a service agent, who will open the watch, change the battery, replace the seals and pressure test the watch to ensure all is good. And charge you for the privilege. If you've got a dress watch with no waterproofing (or you don't care about the waterproof rating), then a trip to the local Timpsons or equivalent will do the job. Or, buy a few tools off eBay and do the job yourself. Watch batteries generally cost less than a quid.

I've got a bit of a collection of watches (actually about 20 :o), ranging in price from a few quid to way too much. In terms of what brands, firstly I'd say you can't go wrong with a Seiko. I've got 2 quartz, 1 kinetic and 2 automatic Seikos and they're all great watches. One of the automatics keeps great time - better than some I've got that cost several times as much, and the other one used to be nearly as good before I dropped it. Oops. Another benefit of quartz.

Tissot as previously mentioned make some very nice watches, or if you're looking to spend a little more Longines or possibly Hamilton may be worth a look. I'm afraid I know little about TAG as their designs don't appeal to me for some reason, but I know a couple of people who have them and I've never heard them complain.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in the world of watches - for all the number of brands out there, there are fewer controlling companies than you'd think. Rolex of course sell more high-end watches than anyone else, but they have a sub-brand called Tudor which is being introduced into the UK using Rolex's manufacturing expertise but with cheaper movements (ETA - a perfectly respectable movement in its own right). However Swatch, for example, also own Tissot, Hamilton, Longines, Rado, Omega, Blancpain and Breguet. And you can't tell me there's no crosstalk between the different brands..

Well I'll shut up before I bore the pants off everyone, good luck Maxi4 in your quest and let us know what you end up with!

Cheers,

Gaz

I have Breitling Aerospace E75362 which IMO was the pinnacle of this particular model, it is quartz and very accurate but it's looked down on a little by the connoisseur due to it being quartz.

I bought it second hand some years ago and luckily enough it's now worth about twice what I paid for it.

I like the design, I like that it's entirely made from Titanium and light and comfortable.

I spent £40 having the battery replaced and a new gasket earlier this year at a local horologist. I don't send it to Breitling as it costs too much. Think Main dealer vs local independent like you would with a car.

I have to say I don't like the fashion of the large size of the new watches. I saw a Breitling Emergency on a shop just before Christmas and it was so large it looked absurd, it can't possible be wearable under any normal clothing.

I have my "forever" watch now and I'm not really tempted to buy anything else. Although I would quite like a Cartier Tank Solo as a dress watch as it's so classical, but again that's a quartz.

I have to admit I'm not a massive Breitling fan - I find a lot of them a bit fussy - but the Aerospace is a nice bit of kit. I've seen a couple for sale secondhand recently and have found myself reaching towards the wallet.. :)

I know exactly what you mean about the Emergency though, I saw one today in Southampton, it's massive! I suppose if you're 6'5" and 20 stone you could carry it off, but for those of us in the middle of the bell curve, not a hope. The £12K price tag was a bit off-putting as well!

Cheers,

Gaz

I own two TAG's one is the Aquaracer although a slightly different version to the one you are looking at the other is 15 years old. Both are automatic and neither keeps great time! The 15 year old hadn't been serviced in 10 years and then it stopped. Was pretty pricey getting it repaired by TAG but water had got past the seals and corroded the back of the face and hands so I wouldn't recommend buying an un serviced second hand one. (I got the bits returned to me)
On the plus side I was told that the condition of it was otherwise very good and it is the only man jewellery required :-)

I own two TAG's one is the Aquaracer although a slightly different version to the one you are looking at the other is 15 years old. Both are automatic and neither keeps great time! The 15 year old hadn't been serviced in 10 years and then it stopped. Was pretty pricey getting it repaired by TAG but water had got past the seals and corroded the back of the face and hands so I wouldn't recommend buying an un serviced second hand one. (I got the bits returned to me)
On the plus side I was told that the condition of it was otherwise very good and it is the only man jewellery required :-)

I also have a TAG. Don't know the model but it cost about 2500 pounds 11 years ago. It's never been serviced, keeps perfect time and it's always been worn. It has put up with my job in the construction industry and being worn in our pool several times a day together with sea water from water skiing everyday. I have changed the battery twice.

I inherited Dad's Rolex from 1958 and it keeps exceptional time, in fact all my automatic watches do with the exception of a Seiko5 - the other Seiko autos and Orients also keep great time.

I doubt a 1958 Rolex has a Rolex movement, probably a Zenith!

Out of my collection I wear a Casio most often now, simply because it was the right size (a lot thinner than a G shock) that I wear with the suit at work then to the gym after. 10 year battery guarantee too!

Some chaps I've worked with who are divers in the offshore energy industry, all have top of the range Rolex and Omega 'divers' watches. But of course, whenever they dive, they wear a Casio!

Out of my collection I wear a Casio most often now, simply because it was the right size (a lot thinner than a G shock) that I wear with the suit at work then to the gym after. 10 year battery guarantee too!

I've never had the back off to check, it's an Oyster Perpetual.

For that budget personally I'd look at a Tudor Black Bay, the red version is my favourite.

For some reason I'm not keen on Tag or Breitling much preferring the design of Omega and Rolex.

The Zenith (El Primero) movement was only used in the Daytona, and was the only time that Rolex used an imported, albeit modified by themselves, one.

They now use their own in this as well.

Mrs P bought me my Rolex for my 50th.

Nine years later and having worn it every day, it keeps pretty reasonable time - no big deal to put it right ( a minute usually) once a week.

Not that I'd ever sell it, but it is apparently still worth what she paid for it.

To be fair, they do tend to hold their value more than most, unless you're going for the very high end stuff which tend to increase annually.

They're probably as good as money in the bank, especially with interest rates as they are at the moment. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom