What problems....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
What problems have you all had with a merc that you least expected you would ever have...

you expect immaculate quality, immculate wear and tear properties, immaculate body corrosion defences.. anything happen to you that would shock the system

My in dash cd changer on a previous e class died twice within 2 years, once changed on warranty, and once by my expense.. appauling....

I also started getting squeaks and interior panel rattle within 1 year of the my previous sl..

what about you!

2nd trip in our brand new E class the alternator belt broke.
Seems the alternator hadn't been fitted properly and was askew.

Been fine ever since aside from the boot lid release sticking now & then.

What problems have you all had with a merc that you least expected you would ever have...
When our car went in for its service, the driver delivered a GL420Cdi. Not much of a problem but we were not expecting it :rock:;)

The demist vents on my ML350 were faulty from new. Seems that the motor that opens & closes the vents was the problem, dealer replaced the motor and cured the problem. Apparently it was a big "dash out" job, but they lent me a car for the day, and my car was returned washed and polished.

Within a few miles of collecting my previously owned C200 the exhaust note got louder and there seemed to ba a power loss. Cured a few days later by dealer, who again lent me a car to keep me mobile.

Compared to my experience with other brands, MB seem to be better, certainly, but they are not absolutely perfect.

Current CLK (W209) has had "wobbly" door mirror glass. Dealer has seen it 3 times now, changed the motorised mechanism behind glass- still wobbles at speeds over 65mph.
Seems they have no idea why it does it.

Well....by 36k (22,000mls) It had had a full auto box rebuild, burnt out clutches, A/C evaporator leaking, Dash out job, tailshaft centre bearing and mount, Left and Right engine mounts both collapsed, front anti roll bar replaced, (bushes worn out).
Then there was the engine oil level sensor which kept giving the wrong reading, and finally, the V belt tensioner rattling like mad.

But I did buy a 203.......:rolleyes:

Well....by 36k (22,000mls) It had had a full auto box rebuild, burnt out clutches, A/C evaporator leaking, Dash out job, tailshaft centre bearing and mount, Left and Right engine mounts both collapsed, front anti roll bar replaced, (bushes worn out).
Then there was the engine oil level sensor which kept giving the wrong reading, and finally, the V belt tensioner rattling like mad.

But I did buy a 203.......:rolleyes:

wow... u sure u have a benz?

Boss , what is it with you moaning about MB's all the time ?

You say they lack design innovation , have loads of faults , and that you don't like the newer ones .

There is an answer to all this , don't buy one . Stick to the w124 that you love , and out the rest.

Just beginning to depress me , all the negativity. I realise that this isn't a 'praise MB forum' but all you seem to do is go on about how you don't like them .

Sorry.

You say they lack design innovation , have loads of faults , and that you don't like the newer ones .

There is an answer to all this , don't buy one . Stick to the w124 that you love , and out the rest.

Just beginning to depress me , all the negativity. I realise that this isn't a 'praise MB forum' but all you seem to do is go on about how you don't like them .

Sorry.

Apologies..

simply not complaining, but discussing the topic of MB..

I wanna see the marque succeed as i had dreamt of the cars as a child..

just for me they dont have the same flair as they did 20/30 yrs ago...

so yeah i see your point but i hope you can see my point, which is that their are flaws in the marque which i dont think the current breed of directors or designers are addressing.

I will put a new post up re the praises of the cars.. you can be the first to comment :)

But as has been mentioned before , H and S constraints limit what designers can do nowadays .

Pedestrian Impact Regs , crumple zones , passenger safety cells , height of sat nav screens , theres so much that ties the car designers hands.

I don't think that they lack innovative skills nowadays , more that they operate with tied hands.

Sure , there are faults with the cars , but what car doesn't have faults nowadays . The cars ( lets face it are limited as well by the bean counters ) , it's not like the old days any more , companies have budgets that they have to stick to . The days of over-engineering are long gone and probably won't be coming back.

FWIW , i like w124s , but to beleive that they are the be all and end all , is like hanging onto your black and white telly and refusing to admit that life moves on.

Sorry.

Agreed. TB only likes one MB, his. Appauling:D

Seems that even nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chicken80stv.jpg

:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom