What tyres are you using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was running MP4's on 19's until a few weeks ago when I changed to some 18's with pirelli sottozero 3's - the transformation in terms of grip is awesome, very happy indeed and so much better than the MP4's in poor conditions :thumb:

Thanks Sean - I’ve spoke to Michelin and apparently there is no stock until March

Where can I find Ben?

Nuts how a company that size can run out!

If you are on Facebook just type his name in and message him direct he's really good to deal with, or join the 'C63 AMG UK' FB group and you'll find him in there. He just posted this morning a full set of w204 tyres £480!!
Failing that I can see if I've still got a number for him and PM you

Goodyear AS 3s on mine. Great tyre. Very quiet and comfortable with no discernable lack of grip wet or dry. Dunlops would be my second choice and are fitted to my spare set.

+1 for the Goodyear Asymmetric 3s. Transformed the SLK from P-Zeros. When the new SL needs tyres, it'll be getting Goodyears.

Thanks Sean - I’ve spoke to Michelin and apparently there is no stock until March

Where can I find Ben?

Michelin are closing a factory near me in Dundee, apparently because it makes 16 inch tyres and there is a lack of demand for them as well as more competition from abroad. Sounds like they don't realise there's a demand for bigger tyres either. Makes you wonder what they are making??

I’ve still got the P-Zero’s on mine. They were fine over the summer, but they’re comically awful when cold. They feel like they’ve been inflated to 100psi until they start to warm up a bit.

I’ve still got the P-Zero’s on mine. They were fine over the summer, but they’re comically awful when cold. They feel like they’ve been inflated to 100psi until they start to warm up a bit.
Mine came from the factory with them and they have been OK (I know others are better) through the summer - but as the weather turned colder they were struggling. I have chucked Conti 860Ps on and binned the P zeros. March or so I will take a look to see if anything new & improved is about then swap to summers.

I have P Zeros on my SL400. Surprisingly good tyre in all weather conditions. Now on 18500 miles and need to be changed. They started to deteriorate in wet conditions and cold conditions at 16000 miles.

for outright wet grip, the conti 6ps kick the s@&t out of MPSS tyres. not saying they wear better though. had conti 5p tyres on my old car and after only 6k miles they had worn down to 5mm and 4.5mm ! but the reference level summer tyre is the conti 6p. Though it may struggle slightly below zero in ice etc but cant say for sure. I did a couple of hours at MB world brooklands in March in the wet on conti 6p tyres in a c63 and it was spectacular. anecdotally definitely ahead of the MPSS in those conditions.

Super sports have been surpassed. There is not much between the Conti 6 and the Pilot Sport 4S (If available in the size you need) most give the edge to the Michelins but the budget tyres like the Nankang are still considerably less safe and slower. For example decent recent test here on 19".

Last edited:
Big fan of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, had them and the previous gen on BMW.
+ Great grip in the dry and wet, good feedback and predictable on the edge of grip.
- Dont last very long ~ 10,000 miles

IMG_0460-2.jpg Well, I just got a GLC last week with new 20" Zeta Alventis fitted, not the tyres I would have preferred, but I will try and get something out of them before upgrading, Im currently sourcing a set of wheels with winter tyres,

Last edited:
Have you a price list for your pharmaceuticals ?

Big fan of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, had them and the previous gen on BMW.
+ Great grip in the dry and wet, good feedback and predictable on the edge of grip.
- Dont last very long ~ 10,000 miles

You're not wrong!:eek:

I put F1 Asymetric 2s all round on my Cl600 2 and a half years ago. Was quite pleased with them until I noticed that the right rear is now down to 2mm after only 8,500 miles. The left rear is down to 3mm and both fronts are 5/6mm (18 x 265 rear and 245 front).

I replaced all 4 tyres on my Jag XKR at the same time and went for Vredestein Ultrac Vortis. Have done approx. the same mileage and all 4 tyres are still at 6mm (20" x 285 rear and 255 front). Apart from the good wear, I am impressed by the tyres as a whole ... great looking, too.

Is anyone running these on a high-powered Merc? The CL and Jag are completely different cars, with 500 (+?) v 450 bhp so not sure if they would suit the Merc as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom