What was your first ever car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didnt look at them all but check thing out :p 18 year old with 32k on clock when i got it

1_JPG_8.jpg

Great Thread

1956 Austin A30 Now have a PT Cruiser and I think the A30 was a better drive. Putting my my W208 convertible on next month for the summer

1973 BMW 2002 tii PBK 668M

Spent everything I earnt on insuring and running it! Used to leave all my mates in their Datsun cherry, Mini things standing. the only chap who came close was Simon in his Dolomite sprint!

As I had unlimited use of my father’s Volvo 145 and SAAB 99 from 1967, I did not purchase my own R5TS until 1975.

R5TS.jpg

It boasted 64bhp and a claimed 0-60 in 13 secs courtesy of a Weber carb and the Scorpion (?) electronic ignition fitted by moi. Other highlights included cloth high-backed seats, rev counter, rear wash-wipe, reversing lights, green-tinted glass and additional halogen driving lights. (1975, remember).

Although less than six months old, I attacked the roof with snips to fit a pop-out sunroof. The resultant spare bit of headlining was used to cover the interior C-pillars, and after fitting the vinyl roof, all the remaining interior bare metal was covered. A new plush carpet was fitted throughout along with additional sound-proofing.

Externally, a Gordini/Alpine-style spoiler was fitted and painted black along with the bumpers, cills and door window surrounds. Bigger black wipers, a passenger door mirror, rubbing strips, coach-lines and wider, lower-profile tyres all made for a rather natty voiture which, for its day, was pretty nippy.

My most notable run was from Edinburgh to Sare, just south of Biarritz, in 19 hours including the Dover-Calaise ferry.

Last edited:
Mini Traveller (the one with the actual wood!) Engine mountings needed to be tightened now and then and had the longest gearstick in the world - not sure I ever managed to actually find 3rd!

Reg was 4560 MU - bet that would be worth a few bob now to fans of a certain football club!

As I had unlimited use of my father’s Volvo 145 and SAAB 99 from 1967, I did not purchase my own R5TS until 1975.

View attachment 85184

It boasted 64bhp and a claimed 0-60 in 13 secs courtesy of a Weber carb and the Scorpion (?) electronic ignition fitted by moi. Other highlights included cloth high-backed seats, rev counter, rear wash-wipe, reversing lights, green-tinted glass and additional halogen driving lights. (1975, remember).

Although less than six months old, I attacked the roof with snips to fit a pop-out sunroof. The resultant spare bit of headlining was used to cover the interior C-pillars, and after fitting the vinyl roof, all the remaining interior bare metal was covered. A new plush carpet was fitted throughout along with additional sound-proofing.

Externally, a Gordini/Alpine-style spoiler was fitted and painted black along with the bumpers, cills and door window surrounds. Bigger black wipers, a passenger door mirror, rubbing strips, coach-lines and wider, lower-profile tyres all made for a rather natty voiture which, for its day, was pretty nippy.

My most notable run was from Edinburgh to Sare, just south of Biarritz, in 19 hours including the Dover-Calaise ferry.
Was the Weber a twin choke like the R12TS...probably?

My first car was a 1964 Austin A40 Mk 2 with the 1098cc engine.
Far too fast for the drum brakes that were fitted to it !!
I bought it for £120 and sold it to a neighbour 3 years later for £65.
Some years later, I bought it back for £65 and broke it for spares for about £100.
Two of us fitted the engine in another car ...... Can't remember what sort.
My second car was a 1966 3-litre Austin Westminster Mk 2.
That gave me my taste for big motors and I never looked back.

1973 BMW 2002 tii PBK 668M

Spent everything I earnt on insuring and running it! Used to leave all my mates in their Datsun cherry, Mini things standing. the only chap who came close was Simon in his Dolomite sprint!

Hahaha, I still remember my mum driving me around in a Datsun Cherry back in the 80's when I was a 7 year old.

Hillman avenger 1500dl k plate 1972,it was ten years old when a got it, I was seventeen.

As the title say what was your first ever car? :)

Mine was a Fiat Uno I bought about 16 years ago for £150, boy had some fun in that lol
I still remember using duct tape and some string on one side of the bumper just to hold it up :D.

UK-registered_Fiat_Uno_Turbo_i.e._%281988%29.jpg
1964 Vauxhall Cresta.

Thanks for the thread revival, I seem to have missed it otherwise.

My first car was a 1960’s Ford Zodiac. BXS 884 I got it in “part payment” for repairing a rusty old Sunbeam Rapier for one of the drivers at my work. After about two months work he reneged on the £25 and just gave me the car ( a lesson learned)
I didn’t actually run the car but tidied it up and sold it for around £25

My first actual car which I drove was a 1961 Austin Cambridge automatic. 922 EUS Bought it for £40, ran it for two years then sold it for £70. I converted it back to manual during my ownership.
I have a note of all my cars with reg numbers, purchase price and selling price.
I did all right up to around 2002 when I started buying more expensive & almost new cars.

My first car was a mini, followed by a good 20+ minis which included vans pick ups and clubmans. Boy do i wish i had kept them. I've got a mini pick up which i am restoring maybe 1 day it will get finished. From loosing the mini scene i went to a r5 turbo.

Learned to drive in my dad's 190E, that's where the love for MB started!!!
I learned , and passed my test , in my dad's W115 , obviously a bit earlier than you ! The driving examiner guffawed the we stepped out of the test centre and I answered his question 'Which car is yours ?' !

Ditto !

learned in a 2002 clio, went onto onto a poverty spec astra f merit 1.4 which lasted 6 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom