What wheels to keep for my 2004 E55? - Opinions Please - SEE PICS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh and I have also got tyres, SL55 fitment. A full set of Dunlop Sport Maxx's fronts ok, rears nearly new, will take some tread depth measurements. Sizes: fronts 255 / 40 /18, rears 285 35 /18. Also have two other Dunlop Sport 9000 tyres, again with good tread left, 1 no. of each size.

I think the AMGs look better. But it has to be your choice at the end!!

Buffers

Hi All,

When I bought my E55 last year it came with SL55 turbine wheels and SL fitment tyres (255/40/18 fronts and 285/35/18 rears).

Hi Simon, how did you find the SL fitment tyres on your E55. I've just put some AMG III's on my E320 cdi with the same size tyres and the car now seems to want to pull a bit to the side and the rear seems to squirm a little. No rubbing though which is good. I'm going to get the alignment checked over tomorrow but wondered if you'd had any issues?

Hi Simon, how did you find the SL fitment tyres on your E55. I've just put some AMG III's on my E320 cdi with the same size tyres and the car now seems to want to pull a bit to the side and the rear seems to squirm a little. No rubbing though which is good. I'm going to get the alignment checked over tomorrow but wondered if you'd had any issues?

Hi,

I had no issues at all with the SL fitment tyres, but they were a good set throughout which may make a difference. The only thing I thought is that perhaps it looked a little over tyred on the car, or you could just think it looked nice and chunky! Of course in theory the rolling diameter is approx 2% greater which will affect the speedo slightly but as I understand it that would probably make it read more accurately. As you know I have just fitted some Style III's on mine but I got a full set of correct size tyres, which personally I think look better on the car. My new wheels are also SL wheels so same size as my previous turbines therefore 1/2" wider front and rear.

What do you mean by squirm a little? What tyres are they, have they still got plenty of tread?

Hi,

I had no issues at all with the SL fitment tyres, but they were a good set throughout which may make a difference. The only thing I thought is that perhaps it looked a little over tyred on the car, or you could just think it looked nice and chunky! Of course in theory the rolling diameter is approx 2% greater which will affect the speedo slightly but as I understand it that would probably make it read more accurately. As you know I have just fitted some Style III's on mine but I got a full set of correct size tyres, which personally I think look better on the car. My new wheels are also SL wheels so same size as my previous turbines therefore 1/2" wider front and rear.

What do you mean by squirm a little? What tyres are they, have they still got plenty of tread?

Thanks Simon, yeah I know what you mean about them looking a bit chunky! I can live it until they need changing though. They are Pirelli PZero Rosso's with about 5 - 6 mm of tread on them so should be good. By squirm I mean the back end feels like it moves sideways slightly occassionally. I'll take it in tomorrow and see what happens. I noticed on my other set that the outer section of the tyre on the rears is much more worn than the inside so that needs sorting out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom