What would be the best GTG for the best forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
It has just dawned on me that despite being a member of the best forum for more than 18 years, the number of longstanding regular members I’ve met in-person is relatively small really.

Both Olly and Jay have hosted some incredible large Get Togethers over the years, with fantastic turnouts, but I suspect that the number of regulars who’ve attended might actually be quite small.

It got me thinking, what would we need to do to take attendance to the next level, to appeal to as many members generally - and especially the forum regulars - who even occasional visitors feel they know?

An even bigger venue to fit in even more people? Other things to do to broaden the appeal to family members? Change the location so it’s more central. Change the date to avoid clashes with summer events?

How about a drag strip to pitch natural rivals against each other, to settle old scores once and for all.
  • M113k vs M156
  • M156 vs M157
  • M156 vs M177
  • C 63 vs E 63
  • E 55 vs E 63
  • SLS vs GT
  • GT Black Series vs ForFour Black Series AMG Sport Plus Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi powered by Brabus
What would the best GTG for the best forum need to be like to almost guarantee that you would come along?

Food, good food, and lots of it!!! 😁

Joking aside the main reason I’ve never been to a GTG is the distance. Having to travel (down south) after grafting hard just ain’t going to happen.

To add to the above I’m not really one for big gatherings. I’m more suited and enjoy 1-2-1 or just a few folk. I find it easier to engage that way.

I've been to a handfull over the years, MB and non MB and I never really know what to do with myself at them. The worst ones are the standing around in a car park type gathering, it all just feels a bit awkward to me.

That's probably more down to the fact I have some degree of social anxiety than anything else.

I did a Collecting Cars, Cars and Coffee event to Silverstone, that was OK because I could spend a couple of hours walking around the museum not having to talk to people!

Like Ant, a few people, lunch and a chat does it for me.

I’ve hosted get togethers at my shop for a few different forums, Mercedesclub, Northloop and had quite a large group for my 25th business anniversary. I find that a max of 20 works best for keeping it inclusive and getting the chance for everyone to meet and chat with every other. If you go bigger people tend to stick within their little friendship groups and don’t really meet or chat with new people (to them). It keeps it tight and makes it so special to see new friendships being made. I love that part, and feeling you’ve facilitated it is priceless. Makes up for the stress of organising it!
For about ten years I had a summer trackday at Goodwood that I organised and ran. They were always fantastic days, but the stress ultimately led to me knocking them on the head.

I've attended a few GTG's on both forums and both Ollys and MSL meetings have been the ones I have enjoyed most.
The recent Beaulieu event is also a great success with lots to see and do as well as space to eat, drink and relax.
I find it amazing in a good way) that some members are prepared to travel 200+ miles for a meeting that may only last a few hours.
I'm not sure I could do more than 150 each way for a GTG myself.

Location really needs to be central for lots to attend, which is why MSL dyno days were so enjoyable. It would be great if Acid could organise another, just for the MBClub.
I don't have the car for any shootout but I'd enjoy watching some of those head to head runs on a suitable course.

Last edited:
Bruntingthorpe for a track day with possibly a rolling road too for bragging rights? Stalls selling parts, maybe Mercedes Newcastle and Edinburgh etc. Auto jumble and detailing sessions?

GT Black Series vs ForFour Black Series AMG Sport Plus Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi powered by Brabus

I'm sure that you intended to type 'Peel P50 vs ForFour Black Series AMG Sport Plus Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi powered by Brabus'

I have been known to attend the odd meeting from this (and other) forums. :)

My favourites are, in no particular order, Benz on the Green, Simply Mercedes (Beaulieu) and Sports Cars In The Park (Newby Hall near Ripon). I used to also like the MSL ones along with Jay's but, as mentioned by others, they don't seem to happen any more. :( I'd agree that a central location would be good, though the facilities are a bit lacking really I suppose.

I seem to remember that there used to be the odd drag racing days at a London area (North Weald?) drag strip. I never went to one of these though they seem to have stopped lately. I did used to enjoy the Terminal Velocity speed trials, held around Woodbridge, later near Norwich at Tibenham Airfield, though these again have sadly come to an abrupt and tragic end.

Nowadays I prefer the ones like Benz on the Green where it's possible to just sit and chill or wander around meeting other like minded folk. I've attended one or two which have had an obligatory "drive out", unlike the optional one Olly used to do but to be honest, after driving a couple of hundred miles to get somewhere, the last thing I want to be doing is more driving. On this type of meet I usually just do the meet and greet thing, get a bit of breakfast and then disappear...

In other words, I'll leave it for you to organise @Bobby Dazzler though you can probably count me in as an attendee. :D

It has just dawned on me that despite being a member of the best forum for more than 18 years, the number of longstanding regular members I’ve met in-person is relatively small really.

Both Olly and Jay have hosted some incredible large Get Togethers over the years, with fantastic turnouts, but I suspect that the number of regulars who’ve attended might actually be quite small.

It got me thinking, what would we need to do to take attendance to the next level, to appeal to as many members generally - and especially the forum regulars - who even occasional visitors feel they know?

An even bigger venue to fit in even more people? Other things to do to broaden the appeal to family members? Change the location so it’s more central. Change the date to avoid clashes with summer events?

How about a drag strip to pitch natural rivals against each other, to settle old scores once and for all.
  • M113k vs M156
  • M156 vs M157
  • M156 vs M177
  • C 63 vs E 63
  • E 55 vs E 63
  • SLS vs GT
  • GT Black Series vs ForFour Black Series AMG Sport Plus Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi powered by Brabus
What would the best GTG for the best forum need to be like to almost guarantee that you would come along?
So no place for a BMW F31 330i Automatic MSport Shadow Edition AMG then?
Unless I serve Peri-Peri Chicken and Fajitas out the back for Ant....

So no place for a BMW F31 330i Automatic MSport Shadow Edition AMG then?
Unless I serve Peri-Peri Chicken and Fajitas out the back for Ant....
There’s always a place for the BMW F31 330i Automatic MSport Shadow Edition AMG. I like you’re offer to do the catering, I’ll have to taste both the Peri-Peri and Fajitas though to ensure that the quality befits the driver of the BMW F31 330i Automatic MSport Shadow Edition AMG.

I'm sure that you intended to type 'Peel P50 vs ForFour Black Series AMG Sport Plus Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi powered by Brabus'
Only if it’s the Peel P50 Night Pack Sport Plus facelift powered by Rockets to make it even close to being a race.

I have been known to attend the odd meeting from this (and other) forums. :)

My favourites are, in no particular order, Benz on the Green, Simply Mercedes (Beaulieu) and Sports Cars In The Park (Newby Hall near Ripon). I used to also like the MSL ones along with Jay's but, as mentioned by others, they don't seem to happen any more. :( I'd agree that a central location would be good, though the facilities are a bit lacking really I suppose.

I seem to remember that there used to be the odd drag racing days at a London area (North Weald?) drag strip. I never went to one of these though they seem to have stopped lately. I did used to enjoy the Terminal Velocity speed trials, held around Woodbridge, later near Norwich at Tibenham Airfield, though these again have sadly come to an abrupt and tragic end.

Nowadays I prefer the ones like Benz on the Green where it's possible to just sit and chill or wander around meeting other like minded folk. I've attended one or two which have had an obligatory "drive out", unlike the optional one Olly used to do but to be honest, after driving a couple of hundred miles to get somewhere, the last thing I want to be doing is more driving. On this type of meet I usually just do the meet and greet thing, get a bit of breakfast and then disappear...

In other words, I'll leave it for you to organise @Bobby Dazzler though you can probably count me in as an attendee. :D
I thought you might brb up for it Dave 😁

Thanks for all the comments, I’m enjoying reading them all 👍🏻

There’s always a place for the BMW F31 330i Automatic MSport Shadow Edition AMG. I like you’re offer to do the catering, I’ll have to taste both the Peri-Peri and Fajitas though to ensure that the quality befits the driver of the BMW F31 330i Automatic MSport Shadow Edition AMG.
If it's Fajitas, you'd better make the GTG a Friday or 'you know who' will be doing his dinger ;)😁

I love a good gtg. I've attended quite a few over the years and have organised a few too, sometimes with no one turning up and other times when there's been a good turn out. It has sometimes been that I've been travelling and have posted up if anyone is around a particular place on those dates to meet for lunch/coffee. For a few years on t'other forum I organised a Christmas gtg which was really good, but it got to the stage where the hotel wanted money up front and that wasn't manageable. It is hard to get a venue/date etc to suit everyone but it's not a reason to not arrange something. The big events people have said about ; Beaulieu, SCITP, BOTG, Bicester Scramble etc are booked for those particular dates so people will simply attend if they're available.

Everyone is different as to what gtg's they'd attend and distance can be a factor also. I have driven for over 3 hours to meet some of you guys just for a burger and chips or even made a weekend of it when it's only an hour away, but that's just me :cool:

Great thread idea @Bobby Dazzler

I just spit out some of my Venti half Yak’s milk half nut milk decaf wet latte all over my sosidge sandwich 😁
I trust the sarnie was a Low Carb vegan Sourdough Sprouted Rye, Buckwheat, Flax and Spelt doorstep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom