• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What's the best riding car you've experienced?

"For elimination of doubt" Citroens are rubbish, apart from their cheapness, disposability and the quality of some of their suspension systems. Grown engineers have been known to weep at the shenanigans required to maintain these wretched things. Which explains why only the French and a few of the natives of the DomToms ever buy these things. (They prioritise spending money on food far above a mere means of transport)

They are cheap, though, and can be serviced/repaired by every village garage in France. Excellent value compared with BMWs, Audis and Mercs.

I once owned a SIII XJ6 4.2 jaaaagggg, A reg so would have been an 83/84. It was like driving your lounge around. Wonderful old thing. Nothing about that car made you want to drive fast, you just got in a pottered around in serene comfort.

They are cheap, though, and can be serviced/repaired by every village garage in France. Excellent value compared with BMWs, Audis and Mercs.
one of my old girlfriends had a Citroen. I kind of liked its quirkiness. In the way that all vehicles have some interesting traits. It was maintained mainly with a hammer and expletives.

I rode in a Citroën DS in the '60s. I owned a BX in the '80s and I have a CL 215 now.
Oh look, my phone put the accents over the E...how clever.

I've often heard them referred to as-hitroens... I've never owned one but being made by the French, I can well imagine they are just that.
It's fascinating how that 22 mile stretch of water marks such a huge difference in motoring taste.

The Brits love spending so much money on cars as an expression of themselves, while the French spend so much money on food and clothes, while happily pottering around in their white *hitroens

Modern ones are definitely made from cheese - friends had a C3 Pluriel that was particularly hateful.

But I don't recall the 80s/90s ones being particularly bad, certainly 405s of which we had several.

I rode in a Citroën DS in the '60s. I owned a BX in the '80s and I have a CL 215 now

This had great seats and so comfortable, saying that there is always a citroen in our line up and never had an issue and a very good dealer over the last 13 years :)

Attachments

• jaguar 5_LI.jpg
    jaguar 5_LI.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 15
It's fascinating how that 22 mile stretch of water marks such a huge difference in motoring taste.

The Brits love spending so much money on cars as an expression of themselves, while the French spend so much money on food and clothes, while happily pottering around in their white *hitroens
Because we live even a twisted society that judges you by your car. Hence PCP overload with finance companies orgasming at us brits.

Mk1 Mini. Surprisingly spacious for after party rides.

Back in the day Peugeot 504....their ability to give a smooth ride made them very popular in all countries where roads were far from perfecr.

Easy answer this - Citroen Xantia, an old work car I had use of, rode like you were on silky smooth roads no matter the surface. Everything else was horrendous about it.

I was always very interested in the Xantia Activa which had a very early version of active suspension - so compliant in a straight line but roll-free in the corner.

Like others here I experienced CX's, BX's and Xantia's back in the day and admired the smooth ride. They seemed have lost their mojo a bit for a while on this front but they seem to have woken up to it again now.

I think I read that they had new active suspension now with camera that scan the roads. I went to look on the Citroen and DS websites to find out more couldn't find any mention of it. I just got bombarded with information about endless jacked-up crossover style cars in which I have no interest. It looks like you literally cannot buy a Citroen in saloon or estate form anymore. And there are no DS estates - just a load of SUV/crossover things and one large saloon. What's going on in the world? I just don't get the obsession with these jacked up fake off roader things.

Oh well, so maybe the only real alternative to an air sprung E Class would be from Volvo.

I think I read that they had new active suspension now with camera that scan the roads. I went to look on the Citroen and DS websites to find out more couldn't find any mention of it.

Can you even buy a true Citroen any more ? Even if they ride reasonably well by modern standards (which is not saying much), they will all be built on the same platform as the equivalent Peugeot which leaves no scope for the Citroen innovation of old.

I was always very interested in the Xantia Activa which had a very early version of active suspension - so compliant in a straight line but roll-free in the corner.

Like others here I experienced CX's, BX's and Xantia's back in the day and admired the smooth ride. They seemed have lost their mojo a bit for a while on this front but they seem to have woken up to it again now.

I think I read that they had new active suspension now with camera that scan the roads. I went to look on the Citroen and DS websites to find out more couldn't find any mention of it. I just got bombarded with information about endless jacked-up crossover style cars in which I have no interest. It looks like you literally cannot buy a Citroen in saloon or estate form anymore. And there are no DS estates - just a load of SUV/crossover things and one large saloon. What's going on in the world? I just don't get the obsession with these jacked up fake off roader things.

Oh well, so maybe the only real alternative to an air sprung E Class would be from Volvo.
Try this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mine dosen't have the predictive active suspension like this one, but the 'standard' air system isn't too shabby;)

Try this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mine dosen't have the predictive active suspension like this one, but the 'standard' air system isn't too shabby;)

OMG. That system's also got a lean in function. Want :)

The normal air on my mates xc60 was pretty impressive though. I like what they are doing over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom