Which One?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SUPERNOVA1a

Car
Mercedes S63 BiTurbo 2012. LEXUS LS400. JENSEN INTERCEPTOR Mk3 8.2
After oohing and aahing have come to decision time. Having got some of the V12 desire muted for the time being have decided on either a E63, 2010, £20500, 63000 mls, or a S63, 2008 £22000, 25000 mls? Will be only doing, from the last five years of driving, about 1500 miles a year. Which one? Heart is say S63 but the Head is saying go for the E63. What you think guys?

Repair and maintenance costs similar? I'd imagine the S class to be somewhat more costly to repair. Having only covered 25k miles in 10yrs will not have done it any favours..
I'd go with the E class, you've got plenty of luxury transport with the LS400 ;)

The Jensen has gone and the LS is showing old age (17 years and one starter motor and three bulbs) so that is going as well. Too many cars in the house.

My advice is always to try them both.

The S, from my experience with my CL, is a big old unit and feels quite a bit bigger than the W211 E I had before.

I wouldn't buy a car this size again as it is just a bit too big IMO.

I prefer the look of the S in your selection though...

If the E63 has the 5.5l biturbo engine I'd be in that without doubt.

I'm a bit old school, in that from the Big Block of the Jensen, naturally aspirated engines are my forte.

I'm a bit old school, in that from the Big Block of the Jensen, naturally aspirated engines are my forte.

You might find a 5.5 BT would change your opinion. Very complex engine, mind, but it really delivers the goods.

Maybe, maybe. Looking to drive them both by the weekend unless a V12 at the right price comes along. That V12 itch is hard to get rid off.

You need to watch out the NA V8 engine for the old head bolts chestnut.

I would wait for a V12 if that is what you really want. You'll probably end up being intimate with coil pack replacement but in the scheme of running a big V12 auto Mercedes, it's in keeping!

Not quite the same thing but I tried the old "buy that instead" game once. Bought a 328i Sport instead of another M3. My thinking was it would be much cheaper to run but nearly the same performance.

Turned out to be the mirror opposite of that and the 328 was an utter disappointment when compared!

Yes, the S is a big old unit, but you quickly get its measure and the all-round parking system is brilliant in tight spots.

I tried one (S600) before buying the CL ... lwb, fridge in the back etc etc ... missus loved it, but I got the impression she would always have been sitting in the back seats!

If you need 4 doors, then try the S .... if only 2, have a look at the CL ... and those looks ... even the W216!

Stuart

On the V12 choice have already put in my mind Coil packs, ABC pump, Suspension. The sound of the E63 is on par with my late Jensen which was a 8.2 552 bhp pussy cat. once did back from The Ace cafe on a 1/4 tank of shell premium. not bad. The Boss says 4 Doors, so 4 doors it has to be. As to the "old head blot chestnut" may you can give me some more information. I have only bought one lemon in my 40+ years of driving and that was a Series 3 Jaguar 4.2

Search this forum or the usual search provider for "E63 head bolt"

You will find this kind of thing: W211 E63 head bolt issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom