Why did Estate cars get originally called as such?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clearly none of you Mercedes experts are aware of the "Dalliance" model from Munter Shunter conversions Ltd. For a couple hundred quid they take your 'elegance' model, badly black film the windows, put some contraceptives in the rear ashtray and toss a bog roll on the rear shelf.

Sounds sensible, but the term "station wagon" was used even before we had cars. The name was used for the horse-drawn covered wagons taking people, or goods, from the railway stations, but I can't see that a wagon used on a sheep etc station would need a name other than "wagon".

My gooodness you were right in America too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Elsewhere in the world saloon cars are called sedans presumably after the sedan chair. Sedan is arguably a more logical name than saloon.

Wasn't the Renault 4 regarded as the first hatchback?
Per Wikipedia
The first production hatchback was released by Citroën in 1938: the Citroën 11CV Commerciale. The tailgate has two pieces, a top section hinged from roof level and a bottom section hinged from below. When production of the Commerciale resumed after World War II, the tailgate became a one-piece design which was hinged from roof level, as per the design used on most hatchbacks since.

Clearly none of you Mercedes experts are aware of the "Dalliance" model from Munter Shunter conversions Ltd. For a couple hundred quid they take your 'elegance' model, badly black film the windows, put some contraceptives in the rear ashtray and toss a bog roll on the rear shelf.
I had one of them!

To be fair the word "estate" makes much more sense than today's acronyms.

SUV.

What is sporty about a top heavy dynamically compromised car? Every car is utilitarian, it can be used for many purposes. I guess it is at least a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom