Why doesnt Benz make a BT gateway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
I was thinking to myself today and could see no reason why Benz or Nokia couldnt make a bluetooth gateway in the shape of a 6210 or 6310 phone that clicks into the old cradle and converts the in-car phone signal to bluetooth.

The systems could be generic and emulation selectable yet still be made small enough so that the outside shell would come in a variety of out-dated phone shapes.

What exactly is the reason why something along this line doesnt exist ?

Is it the phone emulation which causes problems or is it the re-broadcasting of the BT signal and a potential time domain lag.

Why is it then that MIK-BOX seems to do all of these technical translations and will also arrive in Bluetooth some time this year.

What am I missing here ?

Its been done...
Sort of :)

I bought a bluetooth system that plugged into a nokia car kit to replace the cradle, allowing any phone to connect. I binned it after two weeks as everyone that phoned me while I was using it complained that they could hear their own conversation reapeated back down the car mike :( So the speed of transfer is a problem...

Not saying it cant be done properly though.

Oh and you would have to reprogram the Nokia...

peterchurch said:
Its been done...
Sort of :)

I bought a bluetooth system that plugged into a nokia car kit to replace the cradle, allowing any phone to connect. I binned it after two weeks as everyone that phoned me while I was using it complained that they could hear their own conversation reapeated back down the car mike :( So the speed of transfer is a problem...

Not saying it cant be done properly though.

Oh and you would have to reprogram the Nokia...

I wonder if I can use the data rails in the telephone cradle (terminated by RJ-50) to interface directly with the new kits requirements. Making a BT PSE such as the one which Parrot failed to launch (came along too late) was a totally useless idea. They could have built a "6310i link device" which sat in the 6310i cradle and the rest as we know is irrelevant.

I bet your microphone problem could have been fixed with a capacitor and a resistor. It turns out that a lot of hardware is terminated with end-of-line resistors and I bet the kit was somehow lacking in that one crucial idea.

Going back to the MikBox analogy I cant see the problem at all.

There are only several million C-Class and piles of pre-wired ML's around. Why do these lazy French people give up so soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom