Why no factory LPG option

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
Just came out of our local Countrywide and noticed a new LPG pump.

I know a few members on here run LPG conversions, but I started wondering why no manufacturer AFAIK offers a dual-fuel option. A tank designed in from the start would take up less space and save the "I wonder if these converters know what they are doing" worry.

They produce "efficiency" models to improve mpg, but not LPG. Or have I missed something obvious?

Jon

Proton are the only company which still do in the UK IIRC

Generally speaking those customers who want a new economic car buy a diesel.

In Italy its big business with dual fuel cars. Fiat offers Panda, Punto, 500 and Bravo in dual fuel GPL (LPG) versions and Panda, Punto and 500 in dual fuel metano (methanol) form. They sell very well and most other manufacturers now offer an equivalent. Last week I was in a friends new Panda Twin-air running on LPG. Very impressive.

Did Vauxhall offer this a while ago. IIRC they did and uptake wasn't great
They did. I think the extra cost killed it. Same as for the Volvo models. Most of the models in Italy are available as "special offers" and cost the same as the single fuel versions. Not surprising there are so many of them on the roads.

They did. I think the extra cost killed it. Same as for the Volvo models. Most of the models in Italy are available as "special offers" and cost the same as the single fuel versions. Not surprising there are so many of them on the roads.

Interesting. The aftermarket guys seems to charge around £1500 and you would think doing it on a production line would be cheaper. And people seem willing to pay a premium for "economy" models.

Jon

Not long ago you could buy CNG versions of various Mercedes models in Germany don't know if this holds good now ? [YOUTUBE]-4rEVcKqHbM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Not long ago you could buy CNG versions of various Mercedes models in Germany don't know if this holds good now ? [YOUTUBE]-4rEVcKqHbM[/YOUTUBE]

The CNG powered B class is available in Italy now. Most companies offer at least some models in their ranges as dual fuel now. Just not in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom