will anyone have a job in 20 years time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I should be ok, i cant see a robot building a nuclear submarine :confused:

why would you need a sub, if theres no people on it? its just a bigger or more plentiful robosub like the deep sea explorer things. but with big guns on it. robots build cars. build thousands of tiny subs. job gone.

"new 300-page report from Bank of America Merrill Lynch which looks at the likely effects of a robot revolution"

"forecasts huge numbers of jobs being wiped out: up to 35% of all workers in the UK and 47% of those in the US, including white-collar jobs, seeing their livelihoods taken away by machines"

"There will be people who own the AI, and therefore own everything else,”

“Which means homo sapiens will be split into a handful of ‘gods’, and then the rest of us."

Artificial intelligence: ?Homo sapiens will be split into a handful of gods and the rest of us? | Business | The Guardian

Since I'm already 57 , I'm just looking to work another 9 years ( to complete my 20 years service for pension purposes ) and retire at 66 .

After that , I won't worry about it :)

why would you need a sub, if theres no people on it? its just a bigger or more plentiful robosub like the deep sea explorer things. but with big guns on it. robots build cars. build thousands of tiny subs. job gone.

yeah thanks for that :rolleyes:

With all this robot hysteria I think we are still a long way off the 'I Robot/ terminator ' scenario. In the car industry various countries have different laws on robots taking a man's job. When I worked on the first Focus in Valencia they had alot more manual welding fixtures than in Saarlouis Germany for example. (Spanish law dictated that). Don't forget, a lot of robots can be very small devices 'picking and placing' parts and indeed removing a lot of mind numbing tasks from people who would otherwise have a potentially dreary life. It also enables more jobs to be created in design and improving product reliability ( although I'm well prepared for a beating over that statement!). Not so long ago ago, 3 years was the fastest turnaround for a new car development. Now it's 18 months . Press shop tooling had to be previously hand scraped to finish it. Ever wondered why car panels are so intricate and curvy now? CAD CAM . Industrial robots as one sees on TV spot welding cars are incredible machines but still require months of work to make it all happen. Cars now roll off the line every 50 seconds making the second biggest investment( unless you fly) next to buying a house within reach of everyone. So on a cheerie note perhaps getting machines to do mundane tasks helps other jobs to be created to improve quality of life and looking after the planet. After all, taking stock of a situation is always better than being busy fools.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom