Window 7 Programme compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi,
I wonder if anyone of you IT Gurus out there can help me.
I have just bought a new Samsung laptop with Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium installed.
I have a proper DVD disc of MB wiring drawings that I would like to install on it. When installed I click the short cut (Index) icon on my desktop, and it will open a internet explorer page and you access the drawings via. this page, each drawing, diagram etc. opens a new tab on explorer.
To install it requires you to download a small programme called "Whip4" (Icon on disc says Whip4.exe), the problem I have is that Windows 7 will not let me install it as soon as i click run a box comes up saying that it has compatibility issues.
I have tried right clicking on the icon, properties, compatibility, and running it on Windows XP, but the same prompt box comes up.
I had it on my previous PC and it was working after a fashion, with Windows XP.
Can any one help on this, just need to know whether it is possible, or otherwise I will buy a cheap second hand machine specifically to run this and EPC and WIS.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Star Service CDs and DVDs

^MB's page on doing what you want to do under 64-bit Windows 7

Workaround for Compatibility Issues with 64-Bit Version of Windows Vista and Windows 7
GETTING YOUR CD or DVD to WORK with 64-Bit
This also applies to CDs/DVDs that are not listed as being compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Step 1
The first step is to prevent the WHIP! application from starting. This is possible by adding an "Autodesk WHIP!" key to the Windows Registry. This will prevent the WHIP! application from installing, which prevents program start when canceling.
Applying the workaround: Download the STAR_Service Manual_x64.zip attached STAR_ServiceManual_x64.zip file to local computer and right click and select "extract all" to unpack it. Double click on the “STAR_ServiceManual_x64.reg” file. Dialog appears asking for confirmation; allow key to be added to registry. Viewer program should now be usable. Continue to Step 2 to enable access to wiring diagrams.

Step 2
Go to the Autodesk web site and download Design Review software. Click to Link to Site.
Installation instructions:

Step 3
Because of the now missing Autodesk WHIP! Plug-in, the wring diagrams on CD/DVD are inaccessible. The workaround for this is a separate "ETM Viewer" application that uses Autodesk Design Review and updated wiring diagrams.
Get the required files:
- Unpack the ETMviewer/zip and webetm***.zip files.
- Move the extracted "webetm"folder and "start.html" file into the empty "ETMviewer/webetm" folder.
Example:
example.gif

- Double click on ETMviewer.exe to start the program and access wiring diagrams. The ETM viewer program contains an embedded web server and has to be running for as long as you use the wiring diagrams.
for "webetm***.zip files for your particular model email: [email protected]

STIfooter.jpg

mb_bkg.jpg

STAR Service Manual Libraries on CD and DVD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom