winter tyres on rear only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But the thought that has gone into the chassis tuning is dependent on a certain level of lateral G being developed to invoke weight transfer through the anti-roll bars etc, a level of G that will never be reached on snow..
When it comes to getting food home, the priorities change. And traction is all!

Agreed, you make all manner of compromises as necessity dictates.

Like my decision today to put off the B-Service (which I initially scheduled with Black55 for Monday) till after the weather improves.

MB say that the car should be serviced when the indicator says so, and I would be the last person to say they are wrong. However on this occasion I decided to postpone the service. Not ideal, but yet another acceptable compromise.

Just a few weeks, they were bought used,with 6mm on them and are fairly old..

I thought they were fairly old as they werre superceded by the WRs which were in turn superceded by the WR G2s. I'd get them used quick as Nokian say tyres have a max life of 10 years and yours can't be far off their use by date.

I thought they were fairly old as they werre superceded by the WRs which were in turn superceded by the WR G2s. I'd get them used quick as Nokian say tyres have a max life of 10 years and yours can't be far off their use by date.

We used to throw away tyres at 5 years at the tyre depot- Depends on how and where they've been kept. UV is the killer for tyres, which leads to sidewalls cracking etc. I closely scrutinised these before fitting them and they are fine.I change my cars so often a set of new winters would be madness..

Thing is, between ordering them and them being delivered, I had 2 punctures.. both unrepairable. First ones in about 12 years:devil:

I have a full set of Pneumant snow tyres on the Trabant.. 21 years old. they are U/S though.. but still have 8mm

I have a full set of Pneumant snow tyres on the Trabant.. 21 years old. they are U/S though.. but still have 8mm

That reminds me on a friend back in Serbia 20 or so years ago. He crashed Wartburg (another fine example of DDR engineering, only, unlike Trabant, this one was made of steel and 3 cyl 2 stroke). His dad had a car from new, and it was on the same set of tyres for 10 years, the thread has barely worn, it was almost the same as it was bought. Tyres were Barum, or something like that. :doh:

That reminds me on a friend back in Serbia 20 or so years ago. He crashed Wartburg (another fine example of DDR engineering, only, unlike Trabant, this one was made of steel and 3 cyl 2 stroke). His dad had a car from new, and it was on the same set of tyres for 10 years, the thread has barely worn, it was almost the same as it was bought. Tyres were Barum, or something like that. :doh:

LOL, its Barum's I have on the back of the Rover, they are still widely avaliable, as are Pneumants -owned by Goodyear now I believe.. Stomil's on the other hand... :eek: Mind you, the constant tyre screech was fun when I were a lad..

still managed not to crash yet with these tyres only on the rear... :devil:

i've found them really good as i've driven over snow compacted roads no issue with these on, where i would have no grip before....

Troll! :D

Seriously though, it's good you're able to get out and about in your car. After all, that's all that most people want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom