Wireless network settings v VIAO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
I have a lynksys wireless G adsl router and have been using it with my Dell D600 without any hitches for about 3 yers now. My better half had a Samsung notebook which we bought a wireless card for and it worked a treat also. Now she has bought a new VAIO and her connection is up and down like an up and downy thing. I have contacted Linksys about boosting the power but that does not seem to be the issue as I am currently sat in the same room as the arial and the VIAO can see the wireless network - loads of green bars in the signal strength graphic, but when you press connect, it can't link up to the lynksys ?

I want to go to Comet and rant about how cr4p the VAIO wireless is but if I get all green bars, I fear it may be to do with how either the network or the notebook is set up - any ideas ???

Check VIAO website and ensure that you have the latest driver for the card.
Quite often the drivers that are shipped with the product are outdated and have bugs in them or enhancements missing.
If after the upgrade you still have the same problems then try forcing the speed of the router and your card to lower speeds and see if that improves things.
I am assuming that all settings are as they should be and that the problem is not one of incompatible settings.
Mac.

Sounds very familiar...

My VAIO has a Belkin wireless card, which I use with a Belkin wireless router. When I use WPA-PSK authentication and TKIP encryption I find that it:

(1) Takes longer to establish the wireless connection which is a pain; and

(2) Lose Internet connectivity from time to time, and have to use the 'Repair' facility, which then restores the connection. Bizarre thing is the signal strength remains excellent and all green bars even when Internet connectivity is down!! :confused:

When I remove authentication and encryption, the connection never ever drops. All VAIO and XP patches are in place - completely up to date.

Let me know if you find a solution, as it may fix mine too.

If the Linksys is 3 years old it is probable that it is running the old 11MB wireless (802.11b ? - can't remember)) - all new Laptops wil default to the newer 8011.g (54mb) standard.

Might be worth taking the Viao out of full auto wireless mode, and putting it manually in 11MB

Also as previously mentioned, worth ensuring that you have the latest drivers, as well as a BRIEF test with no security or encryption.

try the linksys site start with net set then go into the linksys set up web site the info will be on your set up leaflet ...and hold it a 54mbps then set your security....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom