Wood or alli

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks great - any close-up photos?

Best I can take

Attachments

• Picture 686.jpg
    Picture 686.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 687.jpg
    Picture 687.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 688.jpg
    Picture 688.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 57
Only just seen this Tv. It looks loads better, very aggressive but classy too.

How's it wearing, especially on the steering wheel?

Could you not use a dark lacquer to give a deep tint to wood grain?

Only just seen this Tv. It looks loads better, very aggressive but classy too.

How's it wearing, especially on the steering wheel?

Could you not use a dark lacquer to give a deep tint to wood grain?
I toyed with doing something different, but the grain was far too swirly. I used to do the kids bikes all faded and blended. I have the Designo MB books and most look horible so I settled for piano black, it was my old stock.
This plastic coating (rustins) was made for floors and surfaces that can withstand boiling water, the console and doors are polished, but I have left the steering wheel as a gun finish, though a pig to spray as you cant get the gun at the correct angle, and its cured in 2 mins.

Its quite hard, I do not wear rings so it will be OK, now I am back here you will see it at the midlands meet when I look forward to seeing you again

Me too - in fact, I tried to PM you about this TV but your mailbox is too full! :crazy: I'm inspired...will drop off the ML to you for a few days?! :cool:

Me too - in fact, I tried to PM you about this TV but your mailbox is too full! :crazy: I'm inspired...will drop off the ML to you for a few days?! :cool:

I thought Alfie Conn was going to take your car to get to Burgh island..

Just seen this thread, some interesting points raised in the Wood vs Alli debaste (Alli won by a knockout in the 2nd round :D ).

For what it's worth, I think Alli suits modern sports cars better, but wood gives a much classier look, especially the darker woods. Not too sure about black though, I find black on black environemnts a bit overpowering, hense not being a fan of carbon fibre (although it sounds so good......Hmmmmm, fibre)

Malcolm, your car has sooooo many buttons....... drooool :rolleyes:

I toyed with doing something different, but the grain was far too swirly. I used to do the kids bikes all faded and blended. I have the Designo MB books and most look horible so I settled for piano black, it was my old stock.
This plastic coating (rustins) was made for floors and surfaces that can withstand boiling water, the console and doors are polished, but I have left the steering wheel as a gun finish, though a pig to spray as you cant get the gun at the correct angle, and its cured in 2 mins.

Its quite hard, I do not wear rings so it will be OK, now I am back here you will see it at the midlands meet when I look forward to seeing you again

What paint and lacquer did you use?

Looks very well done by the way.

Just seen this thread, some interesting points raised in the Wood vs Alli debaste (Alli won by a knockout in the 2nd round :D ).

For what it's worth, I think Alli suits modern sports cars better, but wood gives a much classier look, especially the darker woods. Not too sure about black though, I find black on black environemnts a bit overpowering, hense not being a fan of carbon fibre (although it sounds so good......Hmmmmm, fibre)

When my car was made black was not an option, so I had the choice of 3 woods or alli, I went for the alli being as you say its modern and a sports car in a way.
Livimg with it I soon found out that it was cheap looking and to the feel. I later saw a car with black and wished that I had that instead and the chance came, and I love the result, as I have charcoal leather.
wood still does not look right to me, and I saw one yesterday, and the new SL has plain alli, and I hate that too.

The colour make a huge difference and the car that I got for a friend is very nice with wood, but the car has no buttons to push like on mine

Attachments

• Picture 647.jpg
    Picture 647.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 46

Ah! But one of them is BLANK!!:eek: :eek: :D

My thoughts exactly :)

Alfie and Richard have this very evening just replaced the last vestiges of my Alu-Linear trim with gorgeous Birds-eye Maple :bannana:

Thanks guys another great job, :rock: I think the car looks fantastic now all the trim has been changed.

My thoughts exactly :)

Alfie and Richard have this very evening just replaced the last vestiges of my Alu-Linear trim with gorgeous Birds-eye Maple :bannana:

Thanks guys another great job, :rock: I think the car looks fantastic now all the trim has been changed.

I have to say that your car is one of the best kept and nicest specced cars I've seen. It certainly looks very well cared for. Glad the trim is all sorted now.

What will your next mod be after the steering wheel? ;)

I have to say that your car is one of the best kept and nicest specced cars I've seen. It certainly looks very well cared for. Glad the trim is all sorted now.

What will your next mod be after the steering wheel? ;)

Thanks, I like to look after my toys! :D

I still like the idea of the cluster swap... If only I could stop buying inappropriate parts!! :crazy:

And I would like to investigate the reversing camera.... that semi-circular molding line on the tailgate handle has got to be for something?

Before and After

Out with the old

P5080060.jpg

P5080057.jpg

In with new :bannana:

P5090066.jpg

P5090065.jpg

Out with the old
In with new :bannana:

What a difference, you must be over the moon with that :):)

They had the new SL in Exeter finnished in that alli and it was horrible.

Yes Alfie was right what a lovely car you have there, and so well taken care of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom