Wood or alli

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Black walnut can look very nice depending on the grain - usually a very thin stain with an oil or lacquer finish.

That could be my first try,just a mist coating of black, then clear..Having a grain must look better than without

It depends on the size of the piece - walnut can be heavily figured - door trim panels might look a bit odd very stripey. I'd imagine they would have already been selected with this in mind anyway?

Will you spray it with a cellulose lacquer or polyurethane?

It depends on the size of the piece - walnut can be heavily figured - door trim panels might look a bit odd very stripey. I'd imagine they would have already been selected with this in mind anyway?

Will you spray it with a cellulose lacquer or polyurethane?

It will be a 2 component with a hardener it must be water resistant. My best one uses a yellow hardener that gives a much better appearance with a warmer look, thats if I get these things.

By yellow do you mean hue? I would have thought would only work with browns not black?

There are some very good one-pack lacquers available now - cellulose looks great with age on guitars but wouldn't work too well in a car.

It would be wood for me.
Black Birds eye Maple.

By yellow do you mean hue? I would have thought would only work with browns not black?

There are some very good one-pack lacquers available now - cellulose looks great with age on guitars but wouldn't work too well in a car.

Quite possible that the yellow may not work due as you say to the hue.

Cellulose water spots easily and I must have re done 50 Jags in my time.

As I no longer have perfect spraying conditions I will stick with the 2 component as I can get it to flash off in 5 mins I can also flat it and hand polish

Much prefer the wood and think it adds to the quality, giving it a warm feel.

For me, the ali finish is rather tacky and a bit cheap looking. Reminds me of those peel off adhesive fablon type products. Sorry but just my opinion.

John

I agree i have Alli in C200K and it is cold and cheap looking. Wood is warmer material, but at the end of the day its your car and what you will be happy with. I'm looking at black carbon fiber myself.

I take it your considering the Burlwood set I spotted on ebay a few days back. Its up to personal taste on this one but I personally have never liked the aluminium trim and would prefer wood trim any day. Birds Eye Maple is perhaps my best choice for wood but me thinks that the Burl wood set would look nice too and better than the aluminium.

Last edited:
I take it your considering the Burlwood set I spotted on ebay a few days back. Its up to personal taste on this one but I personally have never liked the aluminium trim and would prefer wood trim any day. Birds Eye Maple is perhaps my best choice for wood but me thinks that the Burl wood set would look nice too and better than the aluminium.

Thank you, they are the ones that I am following and thank you for finding them.

The whole exercise will be interesting,, I likes the alli better than Walnut, Birds eye was not offered until after my car was built. I maybe able to fake the birds eye we will see and thanks again :):)

No problem Malcom :D

I went for the birds eye maple because I wanted the red interior and I think that the ally would look an odd combination. If I was going for the charcoal leather ally would be my choice.
My SL Interior.jpg
I don't think anyone has suggested carpet as an alternative, just think about it. It would be unique in a fluffy shag pile sort of way and I beleive there are a wide variety of patterns and colours available too.
In summary I've been of no help as usual.
David

Actually David it is quite easy to do those finishes, you just spray with glue then flock spray what ever you like on to it,, Think though that I will stick with alli or black

Love that red interior David :rock:

Love that red interior David :rock:
Pimptastic isn't it. If Huggy Bear spec'd an SL this would be it I think.

Malcolm, I like that you've figured out an easier way to replicate the carpet idea though ;). The flock sounds like it wouldn't need underlay or gripper rods either, cunning and economical, I like it.

You didn't get a chance to look out the notes for removing the boot lining did you by any chance? It would be much appreciated if you could. The rattles driving me crazy now that you've told me where it is.
Cheers
David

Pimptastic isn't it. If Huggy Bear spec'd an SL this would be it I think.

Malcolm, I like that you've figured out an easier way to replicate the carpet idea though ;). The flock sounds like it wouldn't need underlay or gripper rods either, cunning and economical, I like it.

You didn't get a chance to look out the notes for removing the boot lining did you by any chance? It would be much appreciated if you could. The rattles driving me crazy now that you've told me where it is.
Cheers
David

I will start getting all together,, about 30 pages :eek:

Thanks Malcolm, oops didn't realise there were 30 pages of instructions so no rush when and if time allows that'd be great. (apologies for the thread hijack BTW)

Oh and Dieselman, 'crikey' indeed but it's a grower (most days). But let's get this thread back on topic - wood or ali? that is the quesion.

My vote = stick with the ali (or carpet:p ) where's the Austin Powers smiley? - Yeah baby!
David

If i had the choice of anything id put in one of the Granites in the designo range :)

They look absolutely stunning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom