£5k investment for the future.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are some older classics that seem overlooked. E.g. Reliant Scimitar, starting at £5k (admittedly more for a really good one). Why so much cheaper than the Capri that it shares an engine with?

View attachment 109441

A "Plastic Rat" no less !

Fiat coupe 20v.
That’s a good call. I had a 20v Turbo, didnt handle as nice as the GTV but very quick and the 5 cylinder sounds lovely. The mid range acceleration was stonking. I’d have another in a heartbeat but already prices for good ones are going above £5k. :(

That’s a good call. I had a 20v Turbo, didnt handle as nice as the GTV but very quick and the 5 cylinder sounds lovely. The mid range acceleration was stonking. I’d have another in a heartbeat but already prices for good ones are going above £5k. :(
Correct, rough examples fetching up to £3k but need lots of restoration work to get back to a good standard (rust). Rare excellent condition examples at £8k up, Jap Imports with lowish miles, but rust free condition £12k-£20k. The very best now over £20k and on the up.....

Bit of a left field one here but could anyone see the Pug 306 GTI6 being the next 205 1.9 GTI?.

Dunno how accurate it is, but good to know when you get to a shortlist how rare your car really is :)

Can get a decent W215 CL500 for 5k... with a full history.
And according to howmanyleft.co.uk - dunno if it's accurate, but there are only 2000 CL500s in the UK (W215 + W216), and 600 of those are SORN (so how many will come back). only 1400 driving around.

Can get a decent W215 CL500 for 5k... with a full history.
And according to howmanyleft.co.uk - dunno if it's accurate, but there are only 2000 CL500s in the UK (W215 + W216), and 600 of those are SORN (so how many will come back). only 1400 driving around.
Howmanyleft should be reasonably accurate: it uses DVLA data on cars taxed.

Read post #44.
If you were offered an early phase 1 for not a lot of money that needed a service and an MOT and you had somewhere to store it would you go for it?.
I reckon it could be worth getting and parking up for a few years.
I’m also thinking of getting a CLK 430 cab for the same reasons but I’d be unable to resist driving that now and then.

A w209 clk55 amg in my opinion would only go up in price.
currently I own a clk500, it’s my second clk and I love it

Well I went to look at my neighbours range rover(May he rest in peace) and it needed a bit of suspension work so wasn't what I was looking for unfortunately, still a bargain.
I ended up buying his old Audi A8 2005, 3.0tdi with 75k miles on, a few battle scars but way way below book price.
I wasn't looking to buy these as an investment by the way, bit of rejigging of mine and the Mrs cars.
Hopefully the A8 will be a nice car for us for a good long while without losing money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-205412_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-205412_Gallery.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 9
Well I went to look at my neighbours range rover(May he rest in peace) and it needed a bit of suspension work so wasn't what I was looking for unfortunately, still a bargain.
I ended up buying his old Audi A8 2005, 3.0tdi with 75k miles on, a few battle scars but way way below book price.
I wasn't looking to buy these as an investment by the way, bit of rejigging of mine and the Mrs cars.
Hopefully the A8 will be a nice car for us for a good long while without losing money.

What was wrong with the suspension in the Rangie?, they’re a bit older now and new air struts and compressors aren’t super expensive for them.
If it was cheap enough and clean I’d say snap that up, can see people wanting clean,standard spec L322s in the future, just look at P38 prices, they’ve started to stay firm and go up a bit and the P38 is not nearly as good of a car as the L322.

Air suspension inoperative, and a few bushes needed that are in the boot.
Not a major job for someone with time and space.
I think one of our(mine and he who died) friends is going to have it.
It's a good deal for someone, just not for.me.in my current situation.

Fair enough, I had to do the rear subframe bushes on the one I bought recently, too much of a pig to do yourself and not a cheap job at a garage!, pretty well sorted now though.

Are they big chunky things that are steel in the middle with rubber outer?
We took it to a garage who knew the car, and they said you needed special tools and it wouldn't be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom