• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1.7CDi - Injector seals Popping

Car is still shot BTW. Having cleaned the injector in #4, they found a hairline crack.

Spoke to Keith at United Diesel 01939 291 155 and he said it was pointless putting a cracked injector back in.

Given the labour involved, I tend to agree, so I asked my garage to order a new one and fit it.

The mechanic I spoke to mentioned that the instruction sheet from United Diesel was very useful (I was previously afraid I could have insulted them by telling them how to go about their business. Personally, I'm always glad of a bit of help when I'm not sure.). It seems that as I gave them a clear instruction list, rather than a message being passed on by one busy person to another, they are now working through my list to the letter.

Which is great !

See below ....

12/06/2010

XXXXX,
Parts and instructions from United Diesel are attached.
I’m hoping that the seat cutting tool has arrived with you OK.

Can you carry out the following please

• Re-cut injector seats #3 and #4 per the attached United Diesel instruction sheet.
  • Clean the injectors if necessary.
  • Fit new washers to #3 and #4 and refit injectors using the ceramic grease supplied.
  • Fit new stretch bolt and torque as per the spec in the Russek manual which is in the car.
  • Test and take it for a run, and check for the sound of leakage under load and also to make sure that the ECU doesn’t decide to shut the engine down, as happened on Wednesday.
  • Keep the unused parts and grease for me – just in case.
Call me if there’s any problems etc – 07xxx 9xx 3xx. Hopefully this will do it.

Thanks,
Tony

Leaking Injectors.

Parts supplied by Wunderpartz - 01302 351 421

Seat Cutting Tool and instruction sheet supplied by United Diesel - 01939 291 155

Diagnostic and repair advice from MBClub

Parts List
4 Stretch Bolts - Bilstein OEM
4 Copper Washers - Bilstein OEM
Mercedes spec ceramic grease - Bilstein OEM

Advice from MB Club Forum
MBClub trade members provided the following;

“Injector #4 blow-by is likely due to the seal having been disturbed when the common clamp was removed to change the injector in #3, or because the stretch bolt was not replaced.
It is imperative that the stretch bolts and copper washers are always replaced when
refitting injectors.

The replacement bolts your dealer supplied are referred to as s-t-r-e-t-c-h bolts, because they are PERMANENTLY stretched when properly installed.
When stretched they actually "neck down" or have a reduced diameter and area where the metal has been stretched.
This reduced area has experienced Plastic Deformation, and will not hold the same torque (tension) if applied again, it will in fact stretch more, (loosing tension) and often fracture.
This is why stretch bolts must ALWAYS be replaced, and never reused.

The injector seats should always be re-cut too as any leak of combustion gases will cause erosion of the injector seat.”

Hopefully this will be of help to someone else in the future.

Hi Tony, probably too late now, but the nut on the end of the injector is replaceable on it's own. Or recons are pretty cheap too (relative to how much cash you have ) If they can't fix it now then it's them needs a slap in the face. As for WIS it's on ebay a bit 8 quid i think i paid. I had a quick look for wdb but i could'nt find the info. You will probably find it easier with the book anyway.

This thing here ?

I might as well buy it - provided it's not infringing Mercedes copyright, cos that would be wrong.
Even though I've spent the best part of the slush fund aspect of my salary on their product for the last 4 months.

Was also thinking about buying one of these EU702 Analysers.
I'll post on the electronics section though and see which is the best to get.
My rationale here is to clear all the faults down, and then keep a periodic eye on it to trend anything daft. That way, next time, I'll be ahead of the game when I take it to a bona fide, skilled and experienced independent.

Or do it myself.

What does that mean ? And wheres Tony ???? Oh wait i see it now Silly me..Let me know if its any better than crappy old stuff. But still, could it still be in the garage ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom