A small rant about Admiral

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ksten

Car
C63 AMG
My wife and I have both had our cars insured with Admiral for a couple of years now, although it was never worthwhile going for the multicar option as it made very little difference. We have just changed one of our cars to a C63 and this coincided with a policy renewal date so we did the usual shopping around and Admiral came up cheapest once again (after a bit of haggling), although not by far (About £50 cheaper than MB but with a considerably lower excess).

We got to the point where we were about to renew with Admiral and then remembered to enquire about multicar to see if it would make much of a difference, although previous experience meant that we weren't expecting it to be much. We were quite surprised to hear that this reduced the quote on the C63 by nearly £200 and the renewal quote on our second car was also in line with what we are currently paying (Pro rata).

So, we swapped over to a multicar policy, paid the premium and thought that was that. All the documents came through fine via e-mail and we were happy.

A week or so later we received two letters from Admiral. One saying that we were about to be charged approximately £750 and another approximately £600 for renewal of the single car policy on the C63. Obviously we had already paid around £400 for the multicar policy. I rang them and it turns out that the fact that we had changed to a multicar policy didn't mean that our single car policy had automatically ceased (So a slight caution if anyone else is in the same boat - make sure the single car policy doesn't automatically renew). The £750 was just the original quote we had been given and this was superceded by the £600 quote that they had reduced it to after a 'phone call. So, despite the two letters, we would only be charged the lower amount. Lucky us! When I told them about the multicar policy with them they obviously cancelled the single car policy but our card had already been charged. They refunded it, which I was pleasantly surprised came through the following day (We were warned it could take up to ten working days). No harm done fortunately, but timing-wise £600 could have taken that account below zero.

Anyway, all seemed to have been sorted and we were now in a position where we weren't out of pocket.

Roll on another week or so and we have just received an e-mail from Admiral stating that they haven't received our proof of NCB even though we haven't actually been asked for it and even though Admiral are the company that currently hold our NCB! Arrghh.

I'm sure another call will sort it out later this morning, but another slight annoyance regarding what I was hoping would have been a slightly more seamless transition between single and multicar policies! Perhaps we're one of the few who have ever done this? :rolleyes:

Anyway, as I said, just a small rant, nothing major.

Keith

Good Luck with the phone call Keith.

I hope you can keep you calm after you have pushed this button, then that button, then the other button and listened to "mode music" for 20 mins or so.

I shall store you experience at the back of my mind somewhere should I ever go multicar policy.

I discovered a few years ago that the single-car and multi-car departments are almost like separate companies. As you've discovered they rarely (if ever) communicate with each other and details are not automatically shared.

Still poor performance on Admiral's part.. as been said, nothing major, but it would have been nice to have everything work as one might reasonably expect it to.

I have just had a quote to put our Cayenne and Boxster on to an Admiral multicar and the saving is quite good, to my amazement. Though now I am concerned that they may not have transferred all claims correctly and we may get stung later on, best call them back to check.

I believe the actual policies are good, but as a company, they are one of the most dysfunctional I have dealt with and if you need to speak to someone, it's a premium rate number. I'm with them at the moment, but I will not be renewing with them, nor adding my wife's for multicar

My transition from Admiral single to multicar policy went fine, the individual I spoke to said he'd cancel the single policy as part of the process. Like everything it probably depends on who you speak to!

Had an Admiral multi car policy last year.
This year premium increased to approx £1400
Shopped around and found Aviva also do multi car - their quote £860

My wife and I were with admiral multi car until there renewal came through....... We went with Aviva, exactly the same policy but £400 cheaper!!!

Same here... Went from admiral to aviva and it was £300 cheaper though they won't insure the mrs on the amg as she is under 25!

After reading the recent comments above I've just done an online multi-car quote with Aviva and it's £400 a year cheaper than Admiral. We have to accept a combined excess of £500 on the E55 (£350 with Admiral) but that still seems like a good deal.

Admiral insured both my kids but the yearly battle to get a decent premium after they sent out an absurd renewal became very wearing. Bizzarely, as each daughter reached 25, when you'd think the premium would drop nicely, it shot up and Admiral weren't interesting in competing. :shrug:

Most recent one moved to, as many other mentioned above, Aviva. Although that was with a 15 weeks free offer, so I expect that'll jump next year.

Well, a quick call sorted out the NCB issue, or so we thought. The lady said that she could see all the necessary details and would update the system. Fair enough. We told her that we weren't overly happy with the numerous small issues that we have been having regarding the renewal. She said that if we would like to complain she would have to get a manager to call us back. We have nothing but time :)rolleyes:) so agreed and were told to expect a call later that day. No call back but couldn't be bothered to chase it.

This weekend we received another, slightly more strongly worded, letter about not receiving the NCB proof! I am starting to get tired of this. Perhaps we'll try a little harder to complain this time.

A friend of ours also had experience of a good Admiral multi-car quote for a year to be followed by an enormous price rise the following year. He went with Aviva too. I can see that happening to us too come next September.

Cheers all.

A young man at Admiral's call centre warned me when I changed my car that I would get an insane renewal quote, but to beat it on the net and then ring in with the best quote.

The renewal quote was £650, the best quote Kwikfit could get was an insane £1400+, but LV via the meerkats was £400. I went for that, when I rang Admiral they were disappointed I had gone elsewhere, but what do they expect? That reminds me, someone owes me a free meerkat!

Which one did yoy go for ?

Spambots inbound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom